Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but..

I'm using Yellow Dog Linux and would like to connect it to my OS X machine ... how would I go about doing this?

I tried searching the forums but kept getting a message about my search being too few words or something...

Any help appreciated!

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
by enabling the ftp server on mac os x, by enabling the smb server ?
or do it the other way around, run the smb server on yellow dog, and access it on os x

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I'd use NFS mounts, since NFS is native to both Linux and OS X. Seems odd to use SMB/MS file share between two flavors of Unix. NFS will map file permissions and such and probably give you better performance, although I've never benchmarked the two configs.

Anyway, just share a file system from one machine and mount it on the other. Make sure you have onwerships and file system permission set so that you can read and write to the shared file system.

HTH

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Originally posted by daveL
I'd use NFS mounts, since NFS is native to both Linux and OS X. Seems odd to use SMB/MS file share between two flavors of Unix. NFS will map file permissions and such and probably give you better performance, although I've never benchmarked the two configs.

Anyway, just share a file system from one machine and mount it on the other. Make sure you have onwerships and file system permission set so that you can read and write to the shared file system.

HTH
Nfs will not just probably give him better performance, it will give him better performance. Samba is also very cpu intensive if there is much traffic,

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
I'm also trying to network my iMac to my Linux box. I've managed to use Netinfo to set up the iMac as the NFS client, and set up my Linux box as the NFS server. I now have a shortcut on my iMac desktop that will allow me to browse files on my Linux box. The problem is, I can't write to the Linux box from the iMac, although I can copy files from the Linux box to the iMac. My /etc/exports file on the Linux box has my shared folder options as (rw).

Anyone know why I can't send files from my iMac to my Linux box?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by wilburpan
I'm also trying to network my iMac to my Linux box. I've managed to use Netinfo to set up the iMac as the NFS client, and set up my Linux box as the NFS server. I now have a shortcut on my iMac desktop that will allow me to browse files on my Linux box. The problem is, I can't write to the Linux box from the iMac, although I can copy files from the Linux box to the iMac. My /etc/exports file on the Linux box has my shared folder options as (rw).

Anyone know why I can't send files from my iMac to my Linux box?
Permisssions and/or ownership of the exported Linux file system. Is the exported file system owned by root? Are you root on the iMac?

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Problem solved:

I needed to make sure that the uid's were the same on both computers. I had the same user name on both computers, but with different uid's. From what I understand, it's the uid that's important. Once I fixed that, NFS worked as expected.

Ironically, once I got it going, i ditched NFS in favor of FTP. NFS was faster than Samba, but FTP file transfers were much much faster than NFS file transfers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.