Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ason12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2008
I just purchased a Mini-DVI to HDMI cable for my MacBook, I have it hooked up to my Samsung LN32A450 HDTV and I'm having a slight issue. The problem is, nothing looks crisp. It all looks like it's either super pixelated or crunched down. I've gone into Preferences and fooled around with the resolution, but nothing seems to really help.

Any advice?

sootie

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
i have the exact same set up and resolution is set to 1360 x 768....your computer should detect the best resolution for your display though

eponym

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Does it look pixelated at a distance or up close?

Keep in mind that's a 32" display with a lower resolution than a 15" MBP.

And is this an older generation white macbook? When I first used one of those doing the same thing, I had to adjust for Overscan. But it wasn't an issue if I went Mini-DVI to VGA. It would auto-detect the resolution just fine.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
There's a feature called JustScan in your TV's configuration settings. Use it and turn off mirroring.

If your TV doesn't natively support computer resolutions over HDMI (my Samsung doesn't), use Apple's underscan correction tool (only included in newer model MacBook and MacBooks Pros and the new Mac mini) to fix the resolution issue or use VGA instead.

DisplayConfigX and SwitchRes are other more advanced options if the above don't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.