Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockeygod22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Hi everyone.
I have a pair of great KRK Rokit 5 monitor speakers that I would like to use for:
1) either Garageband, Logic Express or Allegro...
2) iTunes music ...
3) any other sound that the computer makes so long as the speakers are connected.
I'm looking to set this up with a MacBook (non-pro). Could anyone suggest a good and cost-effective way of doing this? What kind of thing would I need to connect the two 1/4" cables from the monitors? Thanks so much.

BCains

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Do you have any type of interface to run mic pres through and monitors?

Somthing like:
Apogee Ensemble
Presonus FIREBOX / FIREPOD
Motu Express
M Audio Firewire 18/14

Something like this will be the middle man between your laptop (buy usb/firewire) and monitors/outboard gear.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
you need a d/a (digital -> analog) converter. there's one built-in behind the headphone output, though it's not great. if you use that, and don't mind controlling volume from the laptop, then all you need is the right y-cable.

or you can drop some money on a proper d/a converter and hook it up either to the USB or firewire port.

the more you spend, the better you get.

budget?

hockeygod22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Budget is small, < $200.

I am selling Digi002 system because I just don't record that often enough and need such professional equipment. If there's a small box (size of a hard drive) that can handle output to the monitors and input from a Midi USB keyboard, guitar, and microphone, that would be ideal. Casual recording is my goal, I need something that's easy.

hockeygod22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Thanks for your input so far.

I'm looking at this:
Fast Track USB

Yes the 002 is a good system but it's just way too much for me to handle. Would I really hear the difference between that and a smaller product on the Rokit's while listening to iTunes?

I'm wondering if this could be the right product for me. If it could let me hear system sound, iTunes, and Garageband/Logic Express over my Rokit's and also record guitar and mic, then I'll be set. Would all that work as I'm expecting, and my keyboard (M-Audio Radium 49) could be recorded through the other USB port?

BCains

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Yes that would work, or theres the Firebox although just over your budget, it's got everything you need plus comes with Cubase LE.

24-bit/96K, Firewire, midi /spif, 2 mic ins + 6 line ins, L/R Monitor Outs.

Its up too you and have much you want to spend, just think ahead - later down the track will you need more inputs?

KingofAwesome

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Yes that would work, or theres the Firebox although just over your budget, it's got everything you need plus comes with Cubase LE.

24-bit/96K, Firewire, midi /spif, 2 mic ins + 6 line ins, L/R Monitor Outs.

Its up too you and have much you want to spend, just think ahead - later down the track will you need more inputs?

I have a firepod, as well as a presonus headphone amp, and I've found that I can get great, clear audio from them very little noise, and the pots are smooth. I haven't used a firebox but if my other presonus gear is any indication, it would be a good purchase.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
I'm using an Edirol FA-66, although only recently aquired, from the few days I've played with it, it does everything really nicely. great knobs, sturdy metal enclosure (doesnt slide around when you try plug/unplug), 6in/6out, really great box.

You'll want a decent I/O if your using KRK's!

which Rokit's do you have? (i wish)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.