Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

native00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
San Diego
I am fairly sure this is a simple situation to solve...

My neighbor and I have agreed that instead of both of us having wireless internet, that we would instead share the cost and the signal. Problem is, everytime I try to connect to her network it says there was an error when trying to connect. What gives?

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
What gives...hmmmm. It would be a fantastic help if you provided specifics. Example:

1. DSL or cable?
2. What brand of wireless router?
3. What's the error?
4. Does you need a key to access it?

native00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
San Diego
baummer said:
What gives...hmmmm. It would be a fantastic help if you provided specifics. Example:

1. DSL or cable?
2. What brand of wireless router?
3. What's the error?
4. Does you need a key to access it?

Sorry for the lack of info baummer and thanks for replying. It is a cable connection. I believe the router is Best Data, but I haven't looked at it yet. The error is just a general error, no specifics. Im on a G4 Powerbook and whenever I come across a random signal, I might try to connect just for shts and giggles. Every now and then it will say "There was an error when trying to connect to this network. Try again?" And, if a key is required, then that a WPA window will open up. On her network thats not the case, because she isn't protecting her network.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Try to hook up from her place first. Perhaps even via hard line to see if you get a connection to the router and check out the settings.

You might want MAC address filtering (ad yours) or a password for wireless if you don't want to share with the rest of your neighbors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.