Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Right now I'm on a nicely priced $60/mo loyalty plan with Verizon. Problem is, it's only 2GB/mo. Which seemed to work fine up until a few months ago. I moved and switched employers. My current employer doesn't have wifi at work, so I'm stuck using data all day. At least this is the only thing I can come up with as to why my data use seems to have spiked. I used to hit about 1.5GB a month. Now I'm closer to like 3-4+GB /mo. And paying the $10/GB overage or whatever it is isn't terrible...but if I'm going to be paying $80+/mo, why not switch to a carrier that offers unlimited everything for that price?

So I'm wondering, what would be the pros/cons of switching? Mind you I'm only about 7 months into my existing VZW contract, so I'd have to pay a termination fee. I've never been on a GSM network...not sure if there will be any noticeable difference (good or bad) with that. I'm not sure of the network quality with T-Mobile (I live in Phoenix, AZ, but I do travel to the midwest occasionally). Not sure if it makes fiscal sense (averaged out over time) to make the switch considering the termination fee I'd have to pay.

Thoughts or advice?

pudcraft

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Houston
Right now I'm on a nicely priced $60/mo loyalty plan with Verizon. Problem is, it's only 2GB/mo. Which seemed to work fine up until a few months ago. I moved and switched employers. My current employer doesn't have wifi at work, so I'm stuck using data all day. At least this is the only thing I can come up with as to why my data use seems to have spiked. I used to hit about 1.5GB a month. Now I'm closer to like 3-4+GB /mo. And paying the $10/GB overage or whatever it is isn't terrible...but if I'm going to be paying $80+/mo, why not switch to a carrier that offers unlimited everything for that price?

So I'm wondering, what would be the pros/cons of switching? Mind you I'm only about 7 months into my existing VZW contract, so I'd have to pay a termination fee. I've never been on a GSM network...not sure if there will be any noticeable difference (good or bad) with that. I'm not sure of the network quality with T-Mobile (I live in Phoenix, AZ, but I do travel to the midwest occasionally). Not sure if it makes fiscal sense (averaged out over time) to make the switch considering the termination fee I'd have to pay.

Thoughts or advice?

You do understand that T-Mobile does pay your ETF, right?

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
For my opinion it is a bit early to switch to t-mo. I have Att and tried them, they are great in the city, but not very good outside. Give them a chance to expand lte12 700 MHz band.
You can always order test drive kit and try t-mo for 7 days free. You can also sign for their 30 dollars prepaid plan with 100 min and 5 Gb amd try them.

You should now that due to the fact that Apple is always behind, esp. with t-mo, you cannot get the full picture on iphone 5s/6. No iPhones support LTE12. This is the low band with better penetration. iPhone 6s based on the rumors will support it.
here is the info about spectrum 700 http://www.tmonews.com/700mhz-lte-map/
T-mo has one big problem with it , they have to relocate TV channel 51 in certain areas.

Also if I were you I get coverage application and compare VZW and t-mo in the areas you need them.
Coverage? by Two Steps Beyond
https://appsto.re/us/nXnlx.i

Good luck with your switch.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013

Thoughts or advice?
I have the exact same plan as you on Verizon and in the same position with my job (no wifi & internet is locked down). I have been going somewhere between 2-3 GB over every month as well. I'm holding off on switching to T-Mo just to see what the iPhone 6s is all about. I'm not in a hurry to switch because when I switch I'll be paying more money w/ T-mo (T-Mobile is $80/mo for unlimited data + monthly equipment installment plan). I'm still getting a better deal now by going over every month as it is as odd as it sounds.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I have the exact same plan as you on Verizon and in the same position with my job (no wifi & internet is locked down). I have been going somewhere between 2-3 GB over every month as well. I'm holding off on switching to T-Mo just to see what the iPhone 6s is all about. I'm not in a hurry to switch because when I switch I'll be paying more money w/ T-mo (T-Mobile is $80/mo for unlimited data + monthly equipment installment plan). I'm still getting a better deal now by going over every month as it is as odd as it sounds.

Same here - even with the overage charges each month I'm still staying right around $80/mo or so.

I suppose I'll wait until the 6s comes out and see how carriers respond with plans, pricing, etc. before I make a move.

Thanks for the input!

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Same here - even with the overage charges each month I'm still staying right around $80/mo or so.

I suppose I'll wait until the 6s comes out and see how carriers respond with plans, pricing, etc. before I make a move.

Thanks for the input!

The best decision. It is never too late. The only think I worry is to miss t-mo 100 for 2 line everything unlimited.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I just left T-Mobile after using them for a year and went back to AT&T.
They still have issues with building penetration on their LTE network. (Hence the reason WiFi calling is being heavily pushed).
I live in Phoenix, which has decent service downtown, but once you head for the suburbs, it's still hit or miss on coverage. Once you leave the city, it drops to 3G and EDGE.
So if you plan to travel or just need reliable coverage, I'd stick with Verizon.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas

Thoughts or advice?
You should definitely try the T-Mobile test drive with the iPhone 5s before you make a decision. It's free, and it will give you an idea of how its network performs in your area. T-Mobile also has perks like free international roaming, so that's something you should consider as well.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I just left T-Mobile after using them for a year and went back to AT&T.
They still have issues with building penetration on their LTE network. (Hence the reason WiFi calling is being heavily pushed).
I live in Phoenix, which has decent service downtown, but once you head for the suburbs, it's still hit or miss on coverage. Once you leave the city, it drops to 3G and EDGE.
So if you plan to travel or just need reliable coverage, I'd stick with Verizon.
Same here....I live in Mesa, AZ right outside of Phoenix. Coverage for TMO is great if you stay along major highways. But once you travel outside of the major highways coverage drops to almost nothing. Then if you walk inside a building you get no service as their signal has trouble penetrating buildings. I hope TMO can upgrade their network. I really like their plans and the fact that they are shaking up the industry. But they need better coverage and signal strength.

Reactions: rjohnstone

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
One question I have is what are you using your data on. If it is Spotify or Pandora or one of their specified music streaming services, they don't count towards your data and perhaps you could get away from needing unlimited data and go for a cheaper plan on T-Mobile.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
One question I have is what are you using your data on. If it is Spotify or Pandora or one of their specified music streaming services, they don't count towards your data and perhaps you could get away from needing unlimited data and go for a cheaper plan on T-Mobile.

I don't use any streaming music services, I don't stream any videos unless I'm on wifi, I have Facebook video auto-play disabled, I don't stream podcasts unless I'm on wifi, I try not to open or send any SnapChat videos unless I'm on wifi. I feel like I'm making most of the standard "data saving" moves. Still managing to chomp through those 2Gb of data a month though. :(

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Same here....I live in Mesa, AZ right outside of Phoenix. Coverage for TMO is great if you stay along major highways. But once you travel outside of the major highways coverage drops to almost nothing. Then if you walk inside a building you get no service as their signal has trouble penetrating buildings. I hope TMO can upgrade their network. I really like their plans and the fact that they are shaking up the industry. But they need better coverage and signal strength.

Thanks for the feedback about the coverage in our local area!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.