Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
DF9:

1. As always, thanks for the added information...to try to pull everything together let me compile a list of suggested items to check with respect to this laptop noting that should I be missing anything please add to it...

a) Chips

-- CPU Dual i7 at what GHz or the better Quad i7 at what GHz...is this an issue in that I will want the quad core in short order?

-- GPU Intel 3000/4000 or the better AMD-ATI / NVIDIA

-- RAM 8GB but i) is it 1333 MHz DDR3 or the better 1600 MHZ DDR3L ii) manufacturer (Apple versus third party) and "Meets and/or Exceeds Apple/Intel Specifications"...how / where do I determine this and iii) where was it purchased and who installed it (I know he installed it)?

b) Hard drive

-- 750 GB 7200 RPM but, above that, not much else to check...is this an issue in that I will want a SSD in short order

c) Other

-- Confirm Apple Care is in place and until when

-- Get a dump of all the information that is buried in/under the toolbar's :apple:/About this Mac/More Info tabs (i.e. overview, displays, memory, service, storage and support) and subtabs

-- Get Apple Diagnostic Testing/Verification results

-- Pictures of the cases, keyboard protector, and physical unit

-- Put the laptop and Apple Care under my name before sending it to me

d) Software

-- What, if any, software is included.

2. As far as BootCamp / Parallels is concerned I have a follow up on this...is it your suggestion that I actually have 3 partitions; 1 for OS X, 1 for Windows and 1 for data (i.e. FAT 32) so that all my data can be kept in 1 location and accessed by *BOTH* OS X and Windows?

Assuming that the above is correct then presumably my data will get backed up by whichever (OS X or Windows) backup program I am using, the drive/partition will have to be mounted in both OS, etc. Am on the right track on this?

If the above setup will work within a Parallels setup that accesses the BootCamp install -- do you know whether it does -- then this seems to be the preferred approach....am I missing something here?

If you check out the computer as well as the receipt to verify the 8GB (2x4GB) maybe a typo on the 2x2GB…. Also ask where he purchased that SO-DIMM RAM that is installed, and who installed it!

Check to verify the "Apple Care" is indeed active for said period of time as it $349 to purchase and it has to be activated with-in the first year from of the original date of purchase! (No Later) if you look on Craigslist.org, eBay, etc.

Thanks, addressed above...

Sites most of the listings show MBP's reselling for about 60% to 80% of the original purchase price, usually closer to the high side!

Helpful but what does this translate to as I can not configure / price out a new 2011 unit...

Also check with Apple Care to make sure that is indeed transferable for the rest of the term and put the computer and AC in/under your name!

Excellent advice, as I would have missed this one...

With the AppleCare, Extra Cases-Covers it does sound like a good deal,… I think I would still try to get the best price possible, and definitely have it checked out by the Apple Genius Bar or ACPC just to make sure both parties are happy!

Will do as noted above...

Hey about that Parallels accessing into Bootcamp info… if that is correct… that is fantastic! That is the first time that I have heard that one… although I have not really asked that exact question before. Well, worth using it that way if it is stable.

See Page 34 of the manual [ http://download.parallels.com/deskt...tion/en_US/Parallels Desktop User's Guide.pdf ]...I think that the first method is the better of the two...what do you think...

There is also Paragon Software Group which is company that makes two SW packages (and others)… 1) HFS+ for Windows,… 2) NTFS for Mac OSX, which will allow you to access all the files on both of system file formats (OSX-HFS+ / Windows-NTFS) they are about $19.99 ea. have not tried yet but looking into it! The biggest problem is the way the system file format/disk format used are doing the read/write by the two different OS's! :/ …. CTO at…

— This link talks a little about that subject: http://blog.paragon-software.com/?p=466
— This the link for HFS+ for Windows: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/download.html
— This the link for NTFS for Mac OSX: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Hmmmm, what are the pros / cons of these versus a FAT32 partition...

Yes, I would really like to see how your system looks and performs… always looking for that next new trick to be more efficient and save time never enough of that stuff! (too little time)

Will think about how to do this...perhaps a TeamViewer dial-in and I can show you around...

Can definitely give all the App's I use and some i am still going to purchase, and some that really stink!

Thanks, much appreciated...

Not sure of your location but I am in the LA/OC area… let me know… maybe?

I think it will be a virtual visit unless I am out on the left coast for business as I live in Toronto...

DF9

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 (February 2011 - October 2011)

Hey Joel, here is a quick history on MBP13" (Feb 2011)

This info is from MacTracker v6.4 (http://mactracker.ca/)… they "List All Mac's manufactured from 1984-2012"

It is a "Free DL" on the Mac App Store (MAS)… I have used it for along time it is a must have app for Mac Info!

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 (February 2011 - October 2011)

GENERAL (Tab)…

OVERVIEW

- Introduced: February 2011
- Discontinued: October 2011
- Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
- Model Number: A1278
- Order Number: MC700LL/A (2.3 GHz), MC724LL/A (2.7 GHz)
- Initial Price: $1,199 (2.3 GHz) $1,499 (2.7 GHz)
- Support Status: Supported
- Case: Precision aluminum unibody
- Weight and Dimensions: 4.5 lbs., 0.95" H x 12.78" W x 8.94" D

PROCESSOR

- Processor: Intel Core i5 or Core i7 (2415M, 2620M) ("Sandy Bridge") (Dual-Core)
- Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz (Core i5) or 2.7 GHz (Core i7)
- Architecture: 64-bit
- Number of Cores: 2
- Cache: 3 MB (2.3 GHz) 4 MB (2.7 GHz) shared L3
- System Bus: --

STORAGE AND MEDIA

- Storage: 320, 500, or 750 GB (5400-rpm SATA) or 128, 256, or 512 GB (SSD)
- Media: Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

KEYBOARD AND TRACKPAD

- Trackpad: Multi-Touch trackpad
- Keyboard: Built-in full-size backlit with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, incl. 12 function and 4 arrow

SOFTWARE (Tab)…

SOFTWARE

- Original OS: Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J3210)
- Later OS: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J4139)
- Maximum OS: Latest release of Mac OS X
- AirDrop: Supported
- Hardware Test: AHT 3A208
- Bundled Software: iLife '11 (includes iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand)

FIRMWARE

- Firmware: Intel Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI)
- Firmware Update: MacBook Pro EFI Update 2.7

MEMORY and GRAPHICS (Tab)…

MEMORY

- Built-in Memory: None
- Maximum Memory 16 GB: (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)
- Memory Slots: 2 - 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM
- Minimum Speed: --
- Interleaving Support: Yes
- Upgrade Instructions: How to remove or install memory

DISPLAY

- Built-in Display: 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen
- Brightness: --
- DPI: --
- Resolutions: 1280 by 800 (native), 1152 by 720, 1024 by 640, and 800 by 500 pixels at 16:10 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio; 1024 by 768, 800 by 600, and 640 by 480 pixels at 4:3 aspect ratio stretched; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio; 720 by 480 pixels at 3:2 aspect ratio stretched

GRAPHICS

- Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 3000
- Graphics Memory: 384 MB DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory (Minimum graphics memory usage is 384 MB)
- Display Connection: Thunderbolt digital video output
- Display Modes: Dual display extended and video mirroring
- External Resolution: Up to 2560 by 1600 pixels
- Camera: FaceTime HD camera

CONNECTIONS and EXPANSION (Tab)…

CONNECTIONS

- Wi-Fi: Built-in AirPort Extreme card (802.11a/b/g/n)
- Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- Ethernet: 10/100/1000BASE-T (RJ-45)
- Modem: None
- USB2: 2 - 480 MBit/s
- FireWire: 1 - 800 MBit/s
- Thunderbolt: 1 - up to 10 Gbps
- Display: Thunderbolt digital video output
- Infrared: 1 - For Apple Remote only
- Audio In: 1 - Built-in microphone, Audio out is user-selectable as analog audio line in
- Audio Out: 1 - Combined optical digital output/headphone out, 2 - Built-in speakers
- Security Slot: 1 - Kensington cable lock

EXPANSION

- Slots: 1 - Secure Digital (SDXC)
- Bays: None - (1 - Only if Optical Drive is replaced a SSD/HDD)
- Hard Drive Interface: 6.0 Gbps Serial ATA (SATA)
- Optical Drive Interface: 3.0 or 6.0 Gbps Serial ATA (SATA)

SENSORS

- Motion Sensor: Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS)
- Liquid Sensor: Liquid Contact Indicators (LCI)

POWER

- System Battery: Built-in 63.5-watt-hour lithium-polymer
- Battery Life: Up to 7 hours wireless web
- Backup Battery: --
- Power Adapter: 60W MagSafe Power Adapter
- Max Watts: --
- Line Voltage: 100-240V AC

ENVIRONMENTAL

- ENERGY STAR: Meets ENERGY STAR 5.2 requirements
- EPEAT: Gold

HISTORY (Tab)…

HISTORY

- Introduced in February 2011, the MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) was based on Intel's next-generation "Sandy Bridge" architecture, and improved on its predecessor, the MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) with faster processors and graphics, and the inclusion of Apple's new Thunderbolt port. It shipped in two configurations: 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 320 GB hard disk, 4 GB of RAM, $1199 U.S., 2.7 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 500 GB hard disk, 4 GB of RAM, $1499 U.S. Build-to-order options included 8 GB of RAM, 500 or 750 GB hard disks, and 128, 256, or 512 GB SSDs.

HISTORY PROVIDED BY APPLE-HISTORY

- file:///Applications/Mactracker.app/Contents/Resources/Images/macbook_late2008_image.png

Last edited:

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
@ Tech198...I am getting there though I hope it does not end up being the dark side...the reason for my trepidation is that much of the work I do is Windows based and I do not know whether this is the right tool for the job...though, it will be fun to learn...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

@ DF9, thanks, much appreciated....will be speaking to my friend later in the day about his Mac...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

@ All, I need help / insight with two additional items:

1. File format...I understand that OS X uses HFS+...I understand that Windows uses NTFS...

I think that OS X can read NTFS but not write NTFS...I believe that Windows can similarly read HFS+ but not write NTFS...please confirm or correct these statement...

If I use BootCamp and I want my data / files to be accessible in both OS X and Windows does this mean that I need to store my data on a FAT32 device / partition so that *both* OS X and Windows can read and write to device / drive or is there another way...please confirm or correct these statement...

If I use Parallels then i) what format is the data stored in ii) what format are e-mail attachments, files moved to a thumb drive, etc. sent / stored in...please help me better understand this...

2. Backup

If I use BootCamp then what is the best way to backup my Windows applications / data and settings noting that i) I am assuming that I will use time machine for my OS X information and ii) I currently perform daily backups using the backup utility in Windows 7 which both backs up individual files/folders as well as creates a system image...please help me better understand this...

If I use Parallels then what is the best way to backup *both* my OS X and Windows applications / data and settings ...please help me better understand this...

Thanks so much,

Joel

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Slightly off topic perhaps but can I just mention that VirtualBox is a great alternative to Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

It's dead simple to use, works brilliantly and most important, it's free. The other two products are not and in the case of Parallels, quite expensive.

From the click of a mouse in OS X, I have a full working Windows desktop up and running in 6 seconds. I can run dBPowerAmp from there and print out to my (Windows only) OKI laser printer and all sorts of stuff. It's really quite effortless. And free!

DF9

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Considering the "Dark Side"... Continued!!!

Hey Joel,

The purpose of using of a FAT32 Partition "On Your Boot and/or Slave/Storage Drive" (as a third partition… OSX / W7 / FAT32) is to have quicker access or easily transfer files between the two OS's… (OSX to FAT32 to W7 or vice-versa… "All Within the Same Machine") "Without using an External Drive" and then back into the "Boot or Slave/Storage Drive/s" for "Each of the OS's" on "One multi-partitioned drive" or "Multiple OS drives" all within one machine.

USB Flash Drives and some External HDD's (mostly 250GB or less) use the FAT32 format for ease of use across platform compatibility. Personally I do use a couple of external USB HDD's that are formatted in FAT32 for the compatibility… But this is not the always the best solution if using larger files than the FAT32 file system can support!

But, if I am using an External SSD/HDD for backup or to transfer files of 4GB or larger sizes, I use a SSD/HDD that is formatted for the OS that I am booted into,… so you get the full read/write privileges!

The biggest problem with FAT32 is that it is limited to a 4GB (individual/singular) file size… meaning that you cannot store any singular file that's size is larger than that 4GB file size limit! So if "All" of the individual file sizes are "No Larger than 4GB" or "Less than 4GB" (HD Video Files, VL HD Audio Files, Project Files, Estimates, AutoCad, SolidWorks, Catia, RISA, ???? Files) etc… you are probably OK?

That is why I use several "Wintec SSD ExpressCards" of different sizes (48-128GB) formatted in FAT32 to transfer files between OS's… also I have an ExpressCard Slot on my MBP17"… But I also use a "Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adaptor" (you can as well on a MBP 2011>TB port) for the transferring of files from one machine to another! (Sonnet: sonnet.com)(Wintec: wintec.com) As they transfer files at approx. SATA II speeds (3gbs) instead of the limitations of the external USB2 or FW or USB3 HD's speeds… The thing is you still have or need the FAT32 format to GFS+/NTFS to deal with… But I do not have use valuable space of my Internal SSD/HDD, for a "third partition", as I want that for OS's/App's to keep the speed and stability of the system, and store files on the second SSD/HDD in the optical bay!

The use of Virtual Machine SW such as VMware Fusion, Parallels, VirtualBox, Virtual PC… etc, sometimes do not like more than two partitions per drive or sometimes have difficulty utilizing three+ partitions per drive.

The different file systems used by all OS's are always being challenged, as HD sizes get larger and larger… FAT32 is from W95 or a long time ago when the drives that used them were much smaller,… NTFS and HFS+ are also becoming outdated as the newer technology and size of SSD/HDD's increase. NTFS Boot Drive is limited to 2TB drive sizes, and HFS+ Boot Drive is limited to 3TB drive sizes (4TB Drives sometimes format to much less than 4TB's,… generally 2TB to 3.5TB, these drives cannot make use of the whole 4TB due to format limitations of the MBR of that drive, and even if installed in a new machine to use the 4TB dives they have to be formatted in ???).

Just like 32bit versions of Windows cannot use more than 3GB RAM even if 4GB is installed!

The NTFS Boot Drive's… Master Boot Record (MBR) is limited to 2TB drive sizes, and HFS+ Boot Drive is limited to 3TB drive sizes (4TB Drives sometimes format to much less than 4TB's,… generally 2TB to 3.5TB, these drives cannot make use of the whole 4TB due to format limitations of the MBR of that drive, and even if installed in a new machine to use the 4TB dives they have to be formatted in ???).

This article describes changes in Windows operating systems that will support disk logical unit sizes larger than 2 TB.

In past editions, Windows used 32-bit block numbers in the lower storage stack. This effectively limited support for single disk devices-which might be hardware RAID sets, sometimes called virtual disks or LUNs-to being no larger than 2 terabytes (TB). To get storage unit sizes beyond 2 TB, one had to combine multiple LUNs using the Volume Manager, leading to a volume limit of 64 TB with RAID0 or spanning or 62 TB with RAID5. RAID1 was also limited to 2 TB. The use of Volume Manager sets, however, imposes a performance penalty and can make some storage management scenarios difficult or impossible.

In contrast, the file system uses a 64-bit signed byte offset. This means that the absolute file system limit is actually 254 512-byte blocks. However, NTFS reduces this, because it supports a 32-bit cluster number * 64K per cluster maximum, which equals 256 TB.

Another complicating factor was the use of Master Book Record (MBR) partition types, which can only contain up to 232 blocks. GUID Partition Tables (GPT) can support a much larger number of blocks, but Windows only supported GPT on Intel Itanium machines.

Note: Microsoft recommends that for Windows Server 2003, basic disks should use 512-byte sectors (dynamic disks will only work with 512-byte sectors). Windows Vista and later operating systems will support up to 4-KB sector sizes.

Windows Support for Logical Units Larger than 2 TB

With Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows XP 64-bit Edition (x64), these limits have changed.
Microsoft added support for 64-bit block numbers in the disk/class layer, using the new SCSI Commands included in the SCSI-3 Block Commands-2 command set. Microsoft also enabled GPT support for all Windows Server 2003 SP1 platforms. With this change, for example, a snapshot of a GPT partition on an Itanium-based machine can now be transported to a 32-bit machine for data mining or archiving purposes.

The new limits are as follows:
Basic or dynamic volume size: 264 blocks = 273 bytes (too big to pronounce)
Maximum NTFS file system size that can be realized on Windows: 256 TB

— Note: Disk devices with more than 2 TB of disk space must be converted to GPT format for all of the disk space to be usable. If the device uses MBR format, the disk space beyond 2 TB will be unusable.

~The use of Virtual Machine SW such as VMware Fusion, Parallels, VirtualBox, Virtual PC… etc, sometimes do not like more than two partitions per drive or sometimes have difficulty utilizing three+ partitions per drive.

The different file systems used by all OS's have continually been challenged, as HD sizes get larger and larger… FAT32 is from W95 or a long time ago when the drives that used them were much smaller,… NTFS and HFS+ are also becoming outdated as the newer technology and size of SSD/HDD's increase. The NTFS Boot Drive's… Master Boot Record (MBR) is limited to 2TB drive sizes, and HFS+ Boot Drive is limited to 3TB drive sizes (4TB Drives sometimes format to much less than 4TB's,… generally 2TB to 3.5TB, these drives cannot make use of the whole 4TB due to format limitations of the MBR of that drive, and even if installed in a new machine to use the 4TB dives they have to be formatted in ???).

Just like 32bit versions of Windows cannot access & execute more than 3GB RAM even if 4GB is installed & recognized!

Please Note The Sentence… The PDF mentioned in the following paragraph that is speaking about the MBR is straight from the Microsoft website! …

** — This is from an older PDF downloaded from the "Microsoft Website" awhile back — ** … it speaks a little about OS disk formatting, Master Boot Record (MBR) and file system partition limitations…

Most operating systems do not have a 2TB limitation, however the master boot record structure (MBR) used to partition the disk could. A 32-bit operating system’s memory is managed by addresses. Hence a 32-bit OS will have 2^32 addressable locations. Most disks have a standard 512 bytes per sector. Doing the math 2^32 * 512 = 2TB (2,199,023,255,040) is the maximum limit.

Several methods of exceeding the 2TB limit of a single volume exist:

A) If you are attaching the drive to a RAID controller that will partition and format the drive to present to the OS please contact the RAID controller manufacturer. You will only need to contact them if the boot partition of this drive will be larger than 2TB.

B) Use GUID Partition Tables (GPT) volumes available when using Windows Server 2003 /w SP1, Windows XP x64, Windows Vista or later versions.

C) Create 2TB partitions and use dynamic disks and spanning to aggregate the total available space. Spanned disks are capable of capacities up to 64TB.

— See Partitions and Volumes for Disk Spanning information: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd163559.aspx

This 2TB limitation is normally not an issue as not many people boot from their large data arrays. Large data arrays are most often used for data storage, video files, picture libraries, and music libraries. Not as the primary boot device.

Since MBR disks are capable of containing four partitions, even if none of the above options work, you can create multiple partitions on a disk. Each partition capable of containing 2TB still allows 8TB on a single disk. Using spanning options within the OS you can create a single large spanned volume to present to the OS.

— Only Windows Vista Enterprise and Windows Vista Ultimate editions support dynamic disks.

— Note: A spanned (extended) volume is actually less reliable than a simple disk. Unlike a mirror or RAID-5 volume, which both have built-in redundancy, a spanned or striped volume will be broken and all data lost if any disk in the volume fails.

— Please see your RAID controller manufacturers website for RAID controller limitations, RAID controller firmware upgrades and/or driver updates.

Windows Users:
— Win XP 32-bit and Win2K do not support volumes greater than 2TB.
— Win x64, 64-bit operating systems do, but in order to create volumes bigger than 2TB from these operating systems, you must convert the disk to GPT file system.

— Note: Disk devices with more than 2 TB of disk space must be converted to GPT format for all of the disk space to be usable. If the device uses MBR format, the disk space beyond 2 TB will be unusable.
— http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463528.aspx
— http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx
— http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.msp

FAT 32
— FAT (File Allocation Table) Originally, FAT was only 16 bits, the second release of Windows 95 it was 32 bits (FAT 32). In theory, FAT 32 volume sizes can range from less than 1MB all the way to 2TB. It is the native file system of Win 98, Win ME, and additionally it is supported by Win 2K, Win XP, and Vista. When FAT 32 is used with Windows, the volume size is limited to 32GB (by the Windows partition utility, i.e. Disk Manager), and file size is limited to 4GB.

— Use FAT 32 (MS-DOS) if you will be sharing the drive between Windows 2000 and Windows XP or Windows Vista. Maximum single file size is 4GB.

NTFS
— New Technology Filing System is the native file system for Win NT, Win 2K, Win XP, and Vista. Several new features are available with NTFS, i.e. file compression, encryption, permissions, and auditing, as well as the ability to mirror drives and RAID 5 capabilities. A maximum of 2TB Partition size when initialized in MBR format. Volumes created in NTFS can only be accessed by Win NT, Win 2K, Win XP, and Vista without additional third-party products.

— Using NTFS with Win 2K, Win XP, or Vista will increase performance when compared to FAT 32.
— See Windows 2TB Boot Partition Limitation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946557

GPT
— In theory, a GPT disk can be up to 2^64 logical blocks in length. Logical blocks are commonly 512 bytes in size.
— Win Server 2003 SP1, Win XP x64 edition, and later versions, the maximum raw partition of 18 exabytes can be supported. (Windows file systems currently are limited to 256 terabytes each.)

— See Windows and GPT FAQs: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.msp
— For a partial list of verified controllers, please go to http://www.wdc.com/support.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Where are your backups storing too... an internal drive or external drive or remote server… ?

Both OSX Time Machine and Windows Backup can be setup to work well, but it depends on where it is storing the BU!

Also the files should just be files no matter where their stored, unless you are changing their ext to dot… when you save!

***********************************************************************************************************************************

OSX-HFS+ can read only, but not write to MSW-NTFS,…

The links I posted about "Paragon Software Group" "NFTS for OSX" and "GFS+ for Windows",… Provide the drivers to allow you to read and write in both OS's… Repeat they "Do Allow You" you to access files across both OS's!

Over the weekend I downloaded the two App's and I can open all the files while on "OSX" or "Windows 7U 64bit"... !

As I have not had enough time to use everything, but so far all looks great…

** Side note… as well as the ability to run the "iTunes Library" from the second SDD Storage/Slave Drive in the Optical Bay… which is formatted in OSX HFS+… while booted into W7U! :)...

I am excited about using the two systems in this way… this is really cool so I don't have to have duplicate a set of iTunes files on each of the "OS's" or in two places of the same machine's internal drives! (OSX/W7 BootDrive SSD/Storage/Slave SSD )(as "iTunes Server" sees it as "two different computers"… and each has to be authorized as such… Now… "Two iTunes PC's", > with "One iTunes Library"… This was a little tricky to get it to work at first, but seems to work great, will let you know more later)!!! …

Will add more later about OSX HFS+ formatting and its limitations….

Chippy99 has a Great Point… CIO… it might be the best thing to get that laser printer working for you, and ease of access to both OS's… I have talked to others that love that setup! I might give it a try myself!

— "Absorb what's useful, discard the superfluous" Bruce Lee —

 Macbook Pro 17'' 8,3 (Late 2011) − Intel 2.5 GHz i7-2860QM / 1920x1200 LED / AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024MB GDDR5 / 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3L / 480GB SSD (OS X/Win7U)(Bay1) + 960GB SSD (Master/Storage)(Optical/Bay2) / Mac SuperDrive in an External Enclosure + Pioneer BDR-XD04 BDXL-RW BD Drive / Wintec 48GB SSD, 64GB SSD, & 128GB SSD ExpressCards / Sonnet & OWC eSATA ExpressCards & Multi-Card Reader-Writer ExpressCards
 (3) 27" Thunderbolt Displays

 Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) − (2) Intel 2.93 GHz Xeon X5670 / (2) NVIDIA Quatro 4GB GDDR5 / 96GB 1333MHz DDR3 / 960GB PCI Express SSD (OS X/Win 7U 64bit) + (4) 3TB Enterprise HDD's (Bay1-4) + 300TB External RAID Storage / Mac SuperDrive + Pioneer BDR-206MBK BDXL-RW BD Drive / Wintec 48GB SSD, 64GB SSD, & 128GB SSD ExpressCards / Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Thunderbolt Adaptor / Sonnet & OWC eSATA ExpressCards & Sonnet CF/CFP/SDXC/SD/MMC/XD/Sony SxS… Multi-Card Memory Reader-Writer ExpressCards
 (3) 27" Cinema Displays

 iPhone 4S 64GB  iPhone 4 32GB  iPhone 3 16GB  (2) iPad 3 64GB (New iPad)  iPad 2 64GB

 ** Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit always runs Best on Mac Hardware ** 

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Last edited:

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Thanks for the responses...they are very helpful and very much appreciated...

I will definitely go and spend some time in a Mac store....it is too bad that Apple does not allow a potential new customer/user the ability to "rent" a Mac for a month to see whether or not the change is worthwhile as I would surely take them up on this and invest all the time that was necessary to make this determination...

Again, much thanks...

Joel

Joel, Apple will take the machine back, and refund all your money, if you return it packaged up as it was. You have two weeks to do so. If concerned, then get them to write on the receipt, that you can return it in two weeks if it does not connect as you expected.

By the way, the scanning issue - is now done on my pre-Lion OS, via the Preview program, which is a mandatory Apple program that views things. It also has editing and other functions. Not sure how Lion handles it, but I found the Apple one worked just as well, if not better. But it is a uniform interface, rather than running separate program. I don't know why Apple did it that way, and perhaps, its a downside. For me it was irritating, and then I got used to it.

DF9

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Considering the "Dark Side2"… Continued!

Hey Joel,

Melbourne Park… brings up a great note! "Preview" opens and uses a lot of different file formats, also another one named "Image Capture" automatically (turns on/warms up)… my scanner "Canon All-In-One (Print-Scan-Copy-Fax)" and a couple of other printer/scanners I use, with no problem at all! You can scan and save to wherever! So it does work on OSX Lion 10.7.4 … It also works great on other manufacturers HP, Epson, etc… machines as well! These two app's are part of the normal OSX configuration currently shipping and should be the same in OSX 10.8.? Mountain Lion… maybe this may help with the HP LaserJet issue!

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
I didn't read through the whole thread but based on the questions you are asking, just stick to windows. If you are trying to find ways to run windows programs and such just stick there it will be easier. if you want to come to mac I suggest using mac apps. I only say this out of personal experience not with mac but with linux. I thought I would just run the programs I need in wine and not uses the open source versions. Its really a pain in the ass and by doing that you don't get to really learn the though process of the operating system.

DF9

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Considering the "Dark Side"… Continued2!

Hey Joel,

TheTMtakeover… makes a very good note/point to think about!

To me it re-enforces the reason that I use only one OS at a time (OSX / W7U x64 as Dual-Boot System), because sometimes trying to fight the two can be counter-productive, and… at times the easiest way is way is not to try to reinvent the wheel… just use the tool as it is intended to be used! The other side that is, I personally do not want just a "One OS" machine, both OS's have their own attributes and limitations! Just use them as such and you will be "Very Happy and Less Stressed" about the "Oh S..t" this doesn't work for the purpose I want it too! Use the "Right Tool for the Job"… that is why each "Industry Usage" has the "OS" it was created for or the "Job function" it has to perform!

** "Use the Force to be Productive" ** … Just something too think about :) **

Working on the App's you asked about should have a good set of them soon…

 Macbook Pro 17'' 8,3 (Late 2011) − Intel 2.5 GHz i7-2860QM / 1920x1200 LED / AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024MB GDDR5 / 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3L / 480GB SSD (OS X/Win7U)(Bay1) + 960GB SSD (Master/Storage)(Optical/Bay2) / Mac SuperDrive in an External Enclosure + Pioneer BDR-XD04 BDXL-RW BD Drive / Wintec 48GB SSD, 64GB SSD, & 128GB SSD ExpressCards / Sonnet & OWC eSATA ExpressCards & Multi-Card Reader-Writer ExpressCards

 Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) − (2) Intel 2.93 GHz Xeon X5670 / (2) NVIDIA Quatro 4GB GDDR5 / 96GB 1333MHz DDR3 / 960GB PCI Express SSD (OS X/Win 7U 64bit) + (4) 3TB Enterprise HDD's (Bay1-4) + 300TB External RAID Storage / Mac SuperDrive + Pioneer BDR-206MBK BDXL-RW BD Drive / Wintec 48GB SSD, 64GB SSD, & 128GB SSD ExpressCards / Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adaptor / Sonnet & OWC eSATA ExpressCards & Sonnet CF/CFP/SDXC/SD/MMC/XD/Sony SxS… Multi-Card Memory Reader-Writer ExpressCards

 iPhone 4S 64GB  iPhone 4 32GB  iPhone 3 16GB  (2) iPad 3 64GB (New iPad)  iPad 2 64GB

Last edited:

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
@DF9...as always appreciate the detailed post...the one specific point that I will respond to is that my backups are currently stored on a WD Shared Space 8TB RAID 5 NAS...this device has had its firmware updated so that it is both Mac and Windows compatible....

@Chippy 99, Melbourne Park and DF9...appreciate the heads up on Preview and Image Capture...it seems as though there are two possible ways of handling scanning...the first via Preview/Image Capture in OS X and the second via Windows in a VM (note: the printer I have has a scan driver of the 32-bit version only so presumably I would have to install Windows 7 32-bit and test this out)...

@Melbourne Park...I thought about the two week purchase trial but I work very long days / weeks (i.e. 70+ hours / week these days) so 2 weeks would not be enough time for me to test things out depending on work demands...

@ TheMTTakeover...there is no doubt that sticking with a Windows laptop would be easiest but the point here is to have some fun, to learn something new and have my own view on Mac vs Windows debate...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let's address a few specific questions as I get nearer to taking the plunge.

1. Device...which device is best noting the options are a) the above noted Early 2011 MBP which I could get for $1,000 b) a current comparably equipped MBP which would run $1,700 or c) a current high end MBP which would run $3,100...worth noting is that I am leaning towards a) but a concerned about an 18 month old MBP that is 2 generations behind...would you be concerned?

Please advise / comment

2. Dual OSs...I am thinking that a) partitioning my hard drive into 2 and running BootCamp (with Windows 7 32-bit) on the first partition and OS X on the second partition and b) running Parallels in OS X to access the BootCamp partition is the best way to go as it gives me the most flexibility.

I am thinking that in terms of RAM I would allocate 5 GB to OS X and 3 GB to Windows as I would be running the 32-bit version of Windows 7 which does NOT recognize more than 3 GB of RAM.

Is there a better setup and, if yes, what is it and why?

Please advise / comment

3. File Transfer / Setup...in terms of file format / sharing I am know that the Mac partition files would be in HFS+ format, the Windows partition files would be in NTFS. I am, however, unsure as to the following:

i) In Parallels, will the Windows BootCamp partition appear as a separate device / drive; and

ii) In Parallels, will the newly created Windows files (i.e. a new document that is created in the Windows VM using Word for Windows) be saved as an NTFS files on the BootCamp drive or otherwise.

iii) In Parallels, will I need to install Windows 32-bit version (as opposed to the 64-bit version) to use my scanner (i.e. as a backup plan in the event that Preview/ImageViewer does not work) or is this pointless as Windows will be running within a 64-bit OS (i.e. OS X).

iv) DF9, as far NTFS for OS X and HFS+ for Windows are concerned can you please explain how these application interface with applications to allow this cross platform read / write (i.e. for example, were I to create a PDF file in OS X how would I interact / use HFS+ for Windows were I interested in saving the file on the NTFS drive).

Please advise / comment

3. Redundancy / Backup

DF9, I understand your suggestion that to use Time Machine (in OS X) or Windows Backup (in Windows) to backup the separate partitions...this approach, however, seems to be labour intensive unless both can be programmed to run automatically as I currently have Windows Backup setup.

Is there not an application that allows for the automatic scheduling and backup of both partitions...is there not a way to do this using "NTFS for OS X" or "HFS+ for Windows".

@DF9...as always appreciate the detailed post...the one specific point that I will respond to is that my backups are currently stored on a WD Shared Space 8TB RAID 5 NAS...this device has had its firmware updated so that it is both Mac and Windows compatible....

@Chippy 99, Melbourne Park and DF9...appreciate the heads up on Preview and Image Capture...it seems as though there are two possible ways of handling scanning...the first via Preview/Image Capture in OS X and the second via Windows in a VM (note: the printer I have has a scan driver of the 32-bit version only so presumably I would have to install Windows 7 32-bit and test this out)...

@Melbourne Park...I thought about the two week purchase trial but I work very long days / weeks (i.e. 70+ hours / week these days) so 2 weeks would not be enough time for me to test things out depending on work demands...

@ TheMTTakeover...there is no doubt that sticking with a Windows laptop would be easiest but the point here is to have some fun, to learn something new and have my own view on Mac vs Windows debate...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let's address a few specific questions as I get nearer to taking the plunge.

1. Device...which device is best noting the options are a) the above noted Early 2011 MBP which I could get for $1,000 b) a current comparably equipped MBP which would run $1,700 or c) a current high end MBP which would run $3,100...worth noting is that I am leaning towards a) but a concerned about an 18 month old MBP that is 2 generations behind...would you be concerned?

Please advise / comment

2. Dual OSs...I am thinking that a) partitioning my hard drive into 2 and running BootCamp (with Windows 7 32-bit) on the first partition and OS X on the second partition and b) running Parallels in OS X to access the BootCamp partition is the best way to go as it gives me the most flexibility.

I am thinking that in terms of RAM I would allocate 5 GB to OS X and 3 GB to Windows as I would be running the 32-bit version of Windows 7 which does NOT recognize more than 3 GB of RAM.

Is there a better setup and, if yes, what is it and why?

Please advise / comment

3. File Transfer / Setup...in terms of file format / sharing I am know that the Mac partition files would be in HFS+ format, the Windows partition files would be in NTFS. I am, however, unsure as to the following:

i) In Parallels, will the Windows BootCamp partition appear as a separate device / drive; and

ii) In Parallels, will the newly created Windows files (i.e. a new document that is created in the Windows VM using Word for Windows) be saved as an NTFS files on the BootCamp drive or otherwise.

iii) In Parallels, will I need to install Windows 32-bit version (as opposed to the 64-bit version) to use my scanner (i.e. as a backup plan in the event that Preview/ImageViewer does not work) or is this pointless as Windows will be running within a 64-bit OS (i.e. OS X).

iv) DF9, as far NTFS for OS X and HFS+ for Windows are concerned can you please explain how these application interface with applications to allow this cross platform read / write (i.e. for example, were I to create a PDF file in OS X how would I interact / use HFS+ for Windows were I interested in saving the file on the NTFS drive).

Please advise / comment

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As always thanks to everyone for all the help noting that we are getting closer...

Joel

----------

Hey Joel,

TheTMtakeover… makes a very good note/point to think about!

To me it re-enforces the reason that I use only one OS at a time (OSX / W7U x64 as Dual-Boot System), because sometimes trying to fight the two can be counter-productive, and… at times the easiest way is way is not to try to reinvent the wheel… just use the tool as it is intended to be used! The other side that is, I personally do not want just a "One OS" machine, both OS's have their own attributes and limitations! Just use them as such and you will be "Very Happy and Less Stressed" about the "Oh S..t" this doesn't work for the purpose I want it too! Use the "Right Tool for the Job"… that is why each "Industry Usage" has the "OS" it was created for or the "Job function" it has to perform!

** "Use the Force to be Productive" ** … Just something too think about :) **

DF9 and TheMTtakeover:

I am in complete agreement with you...in fact the main thrust of the "endless asks" is to ensure that I will be able to get Windows running on a MBP to maintain my current functionality without any compromised while at the same exploring what the Mac world may be able to do better...

It is for this reason I am focused on running all my Window applications (including scanning), simplified / automated backups, etc. because I do not want this to be more work...I do want it to expose me to new possibilities (even at my age)...

Thanks for thinking of my well being though...

Joel

DF9

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Hey Joel,

First thing "Use the Windows 7 64bit version… Ultimate or Professional" your choice… mostly it is what your budget will allow! (I use the W7U because it has the ability to utilize the features that XP-MCE/Vista Ultimate have, and a lot more!)

Not all that long ago… All Printers/Scanners connected to a PC by Parallel Cables/Connectors… Display/Monitors connected by VGA(HD15)-SVGA-RGB connectors and Keyboards/Mice connected by DIN connectors… The point is Serial to Parallel to USB1.0/2.0 to Firewire 400/800 to USB3.0 to Thunderbolt, or PCI to APG to PCIe or Floppy to HDD to SSD all of these are the newer technology busses or the faster version of their predecessor to transfer data… to and from the PC's CPU/GPU units and render it on the Monitor or Read/Write/Save, Print/Scan or whatever…

Usually the 64bit architecture is faster or can run/do more processes at the same time than most 32bit architecture PC's!

The 64bit version runs much more efficient on the newer machines as they have the newer "Dual-Quad-Hex Core 64bit Architecture Processors, and Logic Boards (Mother Boards)" and the busses on the MB are designed to utilize this feature within the OS! This is only smarter… think of a Freeway (ExpressWay/CosWay - on EC) with only "Three Lanes (32bit)" it cannot allow as many as many vehicles (information) to run at the same time, where as the "Six Lanes (64bit)" can allow at least twice the amount of vehicles (information) to travel at the same time or water through a pipe, the larger the pipe diameter, the more capacity it can accommodate!

So the less time the system CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD/HDD is idol, the faster or more efficient the PC is regardless of which of the OS's (OSX/Windows) is running on as long as it is running on the architecture it was designed to run on! (Meaning that if you have a processor/motherboard that can run the 64bit OS then do so… you don't want to put the cart before the horse right…!)

Sometimes the 32bit (x86) vs 64bit (x64) is majorly confusing at best… most all 32bit App's will/should run on 64bit OS machines… but not the other way around! Some of the App's I use all the time are 32bit only, they run fine no problems! This is the same for both OS's… OSX x64 / Windows x64… each OS's 64bit/32bit drivers should allow them to run OK!

Please let me know… if this helps or is just more confusing!

As far as the "Storage Issue" need more info please…

— When you state… "backups are currently stored on a WD Shared Space 8TB RAID 5 NAS... this device has had its firmware updated so that it is both Mac and Windows compatible.... " does that mean you have both "OSX and Windows Machines with Multiple Users" currently storing info/files there, or is the NAS only capable of utilizing this feature?

— Do you have… "Admin Rights" or is it maintained by an "IT Dept." at your work site? Plus is this NAS local at your work site (Commercial Structure) or at a home office (Residential Structure)?

— This NAS is backing up both "Files/Folders and System Image" correct?

— When you say the firmware has been updated to use Mac/Windows,… it sounds like the NAS has the drivers that are similar to the drivers that are used for the "Paragon Software Drivers" (they also make server software) as there are several companies that produce that kind of software for storage units,… RAID Systems, NAS, JBOD, SAS or SCSI Servers,… and alike type storage systems.

— Basically it sounds like the NAS is being used as a "NAS/Server" and is "Backed Up Daily" and it has the drivers so each "OS PC" can read/write/store to/from the NAS/Server… or do each "PC on the NAS/Server" have only access to the "Info for their Own Machine" or can anyone access all info on the NAS/Server or another ?… is this correct?

— As far as "Files/Folders Storing in/on One OS or the Other" when you create a PDF it can be opened and read/write (Depending on if it is Locked or Not) by both OS's as they do this natively… and MS Office/OpenOffice Files or Pages/FinalDraft Files, etc…do need to be generated within their App's,… but storage is storage no matter where it is as long as you can access the storage medium… files are just files, and you just need be able to open or make changes to them with the read/write privileges within each App… Does that make sense?

"Time Machine" can be setup to store "File/Folder-System Image" (just like windows does) on the internal drive (but it takes up drive space)… but a lot of users prefer an External Drive for this… which is the same function as the NAS would perform… so if the NAS already has Mac/Windows capability you should be all good to go.

Not having the expertise or being a "True Parallels Advocate" I am not certain on the best setup for your storage… but if using as a "Dual Boot System the Files/Folders and each System Image" would be backed up as one setup for each machine on the NAS… this is where sometimes it is ERRRR!!! … I will definitely do more research on this subject, as I too (or myself) would like to learn more about this "Quandary wrapped up in a Conundrum"! (AKA a Cluster F…)

** Note… When using OSX and Windows on a Bootcamp partitioned drive… and use "Parallels Desktop with Bootcamp" in the (Parallels DUG.pdf on page 34), have you decided which way you want to run Parallels? Not sure but it could dictate the way you setup Parallels as well the way you backup/system image and store on that NAS System!

**Also if you want to access the Windows Bootcamp… partition through Parallels (option one vs option two) you will could end up with two different versions of "Windows Backup/System Image" in that setup, and/or what is being used in Parallels on the BC version and the VM version could be different, and/or duplicate or redundant copies of the same Windows System and maybe Files/Folders too! It may take too much space even on a 8TB system as that is not all that large of a storage system by todays standards of usage needs… depends on the size of and the types files (are they or can they be compressed to store).

** One more thing if you have been using Windows as long as it sounds, you will have no problem on a Mac with two OS's!

Will add more as this getting very long again… ! ://

 Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) − (2) Intel 2.93 GHz Xeon X5670 / (2) NVIDIA Quatro 4GB GDDR5 / 96GB 1333MHz DDR3 / 960GB PCI Express SSD (OS X/Win 7U 64bit) + (4) 3TB Enterprise HDD's (Bay1-4) + 300TB External RAID Storage / Mac SuperDrive + Pioneer BDR-206MBK BDXL-RW BD Drive / Wintec 48GB SSD, 64GB SSD, & 128GB SSD ExpressCards / Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adaptor / Sonnet & OWC eSATA ExpressCards & Sonnet CF/CFP/SDXC/SD/MMC/XD/Sony SxS… Multi-Card Memory Reader-Writer ExpressCards

Last edited:

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hey Joel,

First thing "Use the Windows 7 64-bit version… Ultimate or Professional" your choice… mostly it is what your budget will allow! (I use the W7U because it has the ability to utilize the features that XP-MCE/Vista Ultimate have, and a lot more!)

Not all that long ago… All Printers/Scanners connected to a PC by Parallel Cables/Connectors,… Display/Monitors connected by VGA(HD15)-SVGA-RGB connectors and Keyboards/Mice connected by DIN connectors… The point is Serial to Parallel to USB 1.0/2.0 to Firewire 400/800 to USB3.0 to Thunderbolt, or PCI to APG to PCIe or Floppy to HDD to SSD all of these are the newer technology busses or the faster version of their predecessor to transfer data… to and from the PC's CPU/GPU units and render it on the Monitor or Read/Write/Save, Print/Scan or whatever.

Usually the 64-bit architecture is faster or can run/do more processes at the same time than most 32bit architecture PC's!

The 64-bit version runs much more efficient on the newer machines as they have the newer "Dual-Quad-Hex Core 64-bit Architecture Processors, and Logic Boards (Mother Boards)" and the busses on the MB are designed to utilize this feature within the OS! This is only smarter… think of a Freeway (ExpressWay/CosWay - on EC) with only "Three Lanes (32-bit)" it cannot allow as many as many vehicles (information) to run at the same time, whereas the "Six Lanes (64-bit)" can allow at least twice the amount of vehicles (information) to travel at the same time or water through a pipe, the larger the pipe diameter, the more capacity it can accommodate!

So the less time the system CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD/HDD is idol, the faster or more efficient the PC is regardless of which of the OS's (OSX/Windows) is running on as long as it is running on the architecture it was designed to run on! (Meaning that if you have a processor/motherboard that can run the 64-bit OS then do so… you don't want to put the cart before the horse right…!)

Sometimes the 32-bit (x86) vs 64-bit (x64) is majorly confusing at best… most all 32-bit App's will/should run on 64-bit OS machines… but not the other way around! Some of the App's I use all the time are 32-bit only, they run fine no problems! This is the same for both OS's… OSX x64 / Windows x64… each OS's 64bit/32bit drivers should allow them to run OK!

Please let me know… if this helps or is just more confusing!

I agree and – in point of fact – was well aware of this…the only reason why am leaning / suggesting running Windows 32-bit (as silly as this sounds) is because I need to have scanning capability.

To be clear…to the extent that I can scan under OS X via the tools that were suggested (i.e. Preview, etc.) then I would run Windows 64-bit but to the extent that I cannot scan under OS X then I would run Windows 32-bit because there is no Windows 64-bit driver for the scanner function.

As far as the "Storage Issue" need more info please

When you state… "backups are currently stored on a WD Shared Space 8TB RAID 5 NAS...this device has had its firmware updated so that it is both Mac and Windows compatible...." does that mean you have both "OSX and Windows Machines with Multiple Users" currently storing info/files there, or is the NAS only capable of utilizing this feature?

No, the NAS is a personal in that it is located in my home on my network…the comment regarding it being both Mac and Windows compliant is based on the fact that it can read / write CIFS (Windows and OS X) as well as AFP (OS X).

There are – currently – only Windows machine in my home but, more to the point, only my laptop is backed up.

Do you have… "Admin Rights" or is it maintained by an "IT Dept." at your work site? Plus is this NAS local at your work site (Commercial Structure) or at a home office (Residential Structure)?

Yes, I have Admin Rights and, as a follow on to the above, it is maintained by me at my house….the exact NAS unit (though 5+ years old but still working) is http://www.cnet.com/network-storage/western-digital-sharespace-4tb/4014-3382_7-33319008.html

This NAS is backing up both "Files/Folders and System Image" correct?

Yes, that is correct

When you say the firmware has been updated to use Mac/Windows,… it sounds like the NAS has the drivers that are similar to the drivers that are used for the "Paragon Software Drivers" (they also make server software) as there are several companies that produce that kind of software for storage units,… RAID Systems, NAS, JBOD, SAS or SCSI Servers,… and alike type storage systems.

No, not exactly…what I meant to say was that the NAS firmware was upgrade to be compliant with AFS which was necessary to be Time Machine compatible…presumably regular backups would have worked under CIFS as this is also OS X compliant but, for some reasons, Time Machine needs AFP.

Basically it sounds like the NAS is being used as a "NAS/Server" and is "Backed Up Daily" and it has the drivers so each "OS PC" can read/write/store to/from the NAS/Server… or do each "PC on the NAS/Server" have only access to the "Info for their Own Machine" or can anyone access all info on the NAS/Server or another ?… is this correct?

Yes, essentially…as noted, it is only my laptop which is currently being backed up and such is happening automatically in the wee hours of the morning...I have also set up folders such that I am the only user with access to the backup folder.

As far as "Files/Folders Storing in/on One OS or the Other" when you create a PDF it can be opened and read/write (Depending on if it is Locked or Not) by both OS's as they do this natively… and MS Office/OpenOffice Files or Pages/FinalDraft Files, etc.…do need to be generated within their App's,… but storage is storage no matter where it is as long as you can access the storage medium… files are just files, and you just need be able to open or make changes to them with the read/write privileges within each App… Does that make sense?

Although I believe that I understand what you are saying I do not think the issue has been addressed….let me give this a try.

I understand that each application will save a file in its native format (i.e. Word for Windows is *.doc or *.docx) or other format that it allows (i.e. Word for Windows can save a file in *.pdf format).

The issue that I was trying to address, and perhaps wrongly is that would a Word for Windows *.doc file be stored in HFS+ format on the Mac partition (which makes sense to me) and in NTFS format on the Windows partition (assuming I am using Windows in Parallels, which also makes sense to me).

The point – assuming the above is correct – is what is my ability to move the file between computers / users via e-mail, thumb drives, etc. This is what I do not have the answer to.

*** I have reviewed the Paragon “NTFS for Mac OS X” website and note that it appears to be necessary for external drives and not internal drives…that is, it is my understanding that such would NOT be necessary to access the BootCamp partition of my HDD/SSD…is this correct or incorrect?

"Time Machine" can be setup to store "File/Folder-System Image" (just like windows does) on the internal drive (but it takes up drive space)… but a lot of users prefer an External Drive for this… which is the same function as the NAS would perform… so if the NAS already has Mac/Windows capability you should be all good to go.

Understood as discussed above.

Not having the expertise or being a "True Parallels Advocate" I am not certain on the best setup for your storage… but if using as a "Dual Boot System the Files/Folders and each System Image" would be backed up as one setup for each machine on the NAS… this is where sometimes it is ERRRR!!! … I will definitely do more research on this subject, as I too (or myself) would like to learn more about this "Quandary wrapped up in a Conundrum"! (AKA a Cluster F…)

Great, I look forward to more discussion on this.

** Note… When using OSX and Windows on a Bootcamp partitioned drive… and use "Parallels Desktop with Bootcamp" in the (Parallels DUG.pdf on page 34), have you decided which way you want to run Parallels? Not sure but it could dictate the way you setup Parallels as well the way you backup/system image and store on that NAS System!

I need to speak with the folks at Parallels but that said I am leaning towards Option 1 to keep things consistent regardless of how I use Windows.

**Also if you want to access the Windows Bootcamp… partition through Parallels (option one vs option two) you will could end up with two different versions of "Windows Backup/System Image" in that setup, and/or what is being used in Parallels on the BC version and the VM version could be different, and/or duplicate or redundant copies of the same Windows System and maybe Files/Folders too! It may take too much space even on a 8TB system as that is not all that large of a storage system by todays standards of usage needs… depends on the size of and the types files (are they or can they be compressed to store).

Hmmmm, will have to add this to the list of questions for the Parallels folks and then post the answer.

** One more thing if you have been using Windows as long as it sounds, you will no problem on a Mac with two OS's!

Hopefully..also hope that I not coming off as a complete fool…all I am doing is trying to think through and address the issues in advance.

Will add more as this getting very long again… ! ://

I look forward to it

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
DF9 and Others:

RE: BACKUP

I had a thought and would appreciate your thinking on this...

I think that a possible solution to backing up the OS X partition and the Windows partition would be to install Paragon's "NTFS for OS X", mount the NTFS drive partition and then have Time Machine backup both the HFS+ and NTFS partitions.

Would this work noting that I have never used Time Machine so have no idea whether this is possible but it would seem to make sense.

Thanks,

Joel

DF9

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
"Dark Side2"… Continued!!!

Hey Joel…

— New MBP 13" 2012 vs MBP 13" 2011… guess that depends on your budget, if you can afford a MBP13" 2012 then order it through the Apple Online Store or Apple Call Center and order a Configure To Order (CTO) or Build To Order (BTO) and get it just the way you want if configured (Can give you a name and number of a great "Apple Account Representative", who can help with any questions and possibly extend any discounts that may apply… but that requires a private message not an open posting here!)

— The New 13" MBPR (Retina) is supposed to be released very soon according to the postings on this site's main page. But that maybe like the 15" MBPR version which cannot be upgraded after purchase as there are no upgrades available at this time so… "Max-Out the CPU/RAM" as they are "Soldered to the Logic Board/MB" and because of that it cannot be done later! But the "SSD" is attached via a "Newer Type Connector" than the other connectors previously used by Apple,… so until there are upgrades for "SSD's with that Connector Type" (In the Works) you have to order it with the "Largest SSD Available" or wait until they become available to purchase and let the prices come down to realistic rates!

— The MBP 2011 your friend has… can be upgraded to perform as well as a new one,… but several things cannot be upgraded… the CPU/GPU/Display are fixed "Not Upgradeable" but the "OS, SSD/HDD's (One in the MainBay and One Drive in the Optical Drive Bay), RAM" all can be to make it scream like a banshee… if you use a Later 2011MPB 13" you can also use faster SSD than the early 2011 versions!

"Although I believe that I understand what you are saying I do not think the issue has been addressed….let me give this a try."

"I understand that each application will save a file in its native format (i.e. Word for Windows is *.doc or *.docx) or other format that it allows (i.e. Word for Windows can save a file in *.pdf format)."

*** Correct…. ***

"The issue that I was trying to address, and perhaps wrongly is that would a Word for Windows *.doc file be stored in HFS+ format on the Mac partition (which makes sense to me) and in NTFS format on the Windows partition (assuming I am using Windows in Parallels, which also makes sense to me)."

*** NO! this is where the confusion is… if you create any document or whatever… it is 'Saved As Whatever Kind of Extension that Goes with that App… (i.e. Word for Windows is *.doc or *.docx)… and "stored wherever you tell it to" or stored to a "default location"… But it is "STORED ON THE DRIVE" that is "FORMATTED for within that OS"… ***

*** NOT... "STORED IN A NTFS FORMAT ON THE WINDOWS PARTITION" or "STORED IN A HFS+ FORMAT ON THE OSX PARTITION"…

*** Files Are Not Stored in HFS+ or NTFS format,… it's only on the drive that is formatted with each File System!!! ***

The App's "DO NOT" use the "NTFS or HFS+ Formatting" that is just the "Format of that Disk" that is created or used when the "OS is first installed on that disk", (Using a Bare Drive or Reformatting) it will format the drive and create a "Recovery and Boot Partition" which contains the "System OS Master Boot Record (MBR) and System Recovery Files…. and/or Storage Drives if used within that Volume", as well as the formatting of the "External Drives" used! Same for all… (Windows / OSX / Ubuntu / Linux / Unix / etc)… and the "System will Start or Boot From that MBR Drive"!

When the "System Starts it Scans or Looks" for that "Boot Partition to tell it what to do"! Ok… so if only "One Physical Drive" is present upon Startup the OS will access that "Recovery and a Boot Partition" (Regardless of how many Partitions) and use the "C:/Drive Partition (Windows) to Store Files "unless" There is another partition on the same drive" (D:/Drive, E:/Drive, F:/Drive etc)… and the "OS is told to Store There" or it will store wherever… instead of the C:/Drive!

If you have more than "One OS or Boot Drive (Dual Boot System) and if… "One of the Two Boot Drives" is not selected as the "Primary Boot Drive" the System will ask "Which Drive you want to Start or Boot From"… (When first powering up the machine if you hold down the Option Key, as the "System is Starting" it will ask the same thing as above, "What Drive Do You Want to Use?").

*** Note… I store files on Drives Formatted in HFS+, HTFS, FAT32 and can move them to any one of the drive formats, it is the OS that has to be able to access each drive…

It is easiest if think of the "Files As Just Being Files… No Matter Where They Are Stored"… "You Do Need to Use the Correct App to Create or Change (Read/Write)"... But you can still "Store Any File Anywhere As Long As the OS's File System" can accommodate that file size! ** (Like the "FAT32 File Size Limitations",… It is still used because it's compatibility with… and/or it can be easily accessed to read/write from both OSX and Windows)! **

If you think of the Windows (NTFS) Drives or OSX (HFS+) Drives as "ONLY" being used to contain the OS and it's App's (Master Drive)… AND… Store All Files/Folders on a Second Partition or Internal Drive for Storage Only (Slave Drive)… (Is this is easier?)

** In Windows this is having your "C:/Drive Contain the OS and the App's Only" (Master Drive)!… and "Tell the OS to Store in D:/Drive Only" (Slave Drive)! ** "Windows Uses "Letters A, B, C, D, E" to Designate the Drive Identification Assignment" **

** In OSX this is having your Macintosh SSD/HDD #1 (Or ?… If renamed) and "Tell the OS to Store in Macintosh SSD/HDD #2 Only! ** OSX Uses "Names 1, 2, 3, 4, 5" to Designate the Drive Identification Assignment" **

*** That is the "Biggest Problem Across the "Two Platforms they cannot Talk To Each Other" without "Third Party Drivers That Allow Cross Platform Conversation" ***

Thus the "Paragon Software Group"… "NTFS for OSX and HFS+ for Windows"… So… "Those Drivers Allow the Two Platforms to Read/Write to Each Others Drives" or "Talk to Each Other or Whatever"!

Does that make sense to you, or just more confusing?

"The point – assuming the above is correct – is what is my ability to move the file between computers / users via e-mail, thumb drives, etc. This is what I do not have the answer to."

"I have reviewed the Paragon “NTFS for Mac OS X” website and note that it appears to be necessary for external drives and not internal drives…that is, it is my understanding that such would NOT be necessary to access the BootCamp partition of my HDD/SSD…is this correct or incorrect?"

*** NO! it is for ALL Drives formatted in HTFS and HFS+ … I use Both "NTFS for OSX and HFS+ for Windows" and they "DO WORK FOR ALL INTERNAL or EXTERNAL DRIVES"! ***

"I need to speak with the folks at Parallels but that said I am leaning towards Option 1 to keep things consistent regardless of how I use Windows."

*** Yes… I too… would use it the same way if I were going to use Parallels! ***

DF9 and Others:

I think that a possible solution to backing up the OS X partition and the Windows partition would be to install Paragon's "NTFS for OS X", mount the NTFS drive partition and then have Time Machine backup both the HFS+ and NTFS partitions.

**** They don't work like that ****

Would this work noting that I have never used Time Machine so have no idea whether this is possible but it would seem to make sense.

**** Don't think so… if you are using Parallels in option one I am not sure if this will work… unless it counts both OS's as a System Image in option one… "I think you need to ask Parallels Tech Support" ****

Are you currently running a 64bit or 32bit version of Windows?

Assuming that your HP Printer/Scanner is using a USB 2.0 Cable or Wi-FI to connect to the PC… (Not a Serial/Parallel Cable) Most all USB 2.0 devices are Plug-N-Play… meaning that Windows and/or the device it's self have the drivers needed to run on a given machine… Maybe I was not clear about the way I phrased the comment about the 32bit drivers… In opinion maybe you are over thinking this issue and/or someone (at HP or ?) has suggested that Windows 64bit, will not let you "Scan with the 32bit drivers" on the Windows 64bit version!

Windows should recognize the Printer/Scanner, and just like in "OSX's Image Capture"… or "Windows Import Image" if you go in "Windows>Control Panel> Add Printer/Scanner " it should allow you to install and run that 32bit driver on a "Windows 64bit System" and if for some reason you cannot get it open go to… "Get Info (OSX) / Properties (Windows) and check or tick the box "Open/Run in 32bit Mode" for OSX or Windows 7...

With the current OS's (OSX/Windows) 64bit versions have the ability to run the 32bit Drivers on the 64bit OS (Older 64bit OS's Did Not!) So I am a little unsure of why you feel the need to run Windows in 32bit Version just to be able to scan… Windows drivers are always being updated to resolve theses issues!

CIO…
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/hardware-drivers
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Install-a-printer

*** (How Old is this HP Printer/Scanner… it maybe time for a "New One"… instead of "Fighting the 32bit Issues")! ***

***** Personally I think it "Just Crazy to use Windows 32bit version on a 64bit machine just to use a scanner… Hell go buy a stand alone scanner that can run on a 64bit machine (they are not that much)… or you may as well just stay with the laptop you have if it is a 32bit machine" ***** (If you cannot get it to work send me a private message and exchange email or digits to get this running) This might sound too harsh or kurt, but sometimes the fight to get something to do… or find a work-around, we have to find a compromise, if only just to save our sanity!

*** Another Note Please Call OWC MacSales.com... They are in Woodstock Ill. Near Chicago... 1.800.275.4576 (Toll-Free) or 1.815.338.8685 (International), … "They do all of this stuff for a living and have great Tech Support!" (They have helped me with a lot of strange issues where others could not find an answer!) Check out their WS first if you like (MacSales.com) as they do have a lot of "Info posted on the WS" as well as tons of upgrades, software and replacement items for Mac Hardware. (They can also answer a lot of the OSX/Windows/Bootcamp/Parallels/VMware Fusion, Paragon OSX/WIN, System Tools for Mac, Blu-ray for Mac, and other "Work-around Issues" and also if you "Sign-up for the OWC Larry NewsLetter" it will also give you "Current Price Discounts" ("Not Seen or Viewed Unless Subscriber" on the general WS) and "Monthly Garage Sales" …etc, and Very Cool Stuff posted on their OWC Blog) ***

 Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010) − (2) Intel 2.93 GHz Xeon X5670 / (2) NVIDIA Quatro 4GB GDDR5 / 96GB 1333MHz DDR3 / 960GB PCI Express SSD (OS X/Win 7U 64bit) + (4) 3TB Enterprise HDD's (Bay1-4) + 300TB External RAID Storage / Mac SuperDrive + Pioneer BDR-206MBK BDXL-RW BD Drive / Wintec 48GB SSD, 64GB SSD, & 128GB SSD ExpressCards / Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Thunderbolt Adaptor / Sonnet & OWC eSATA ExpressCards & Sonnet CF/CFP/SDXC/SD/MMC/XD/Sony SxS… Multi-Card Memory Reader-Writer ExpressCards

 Macbook Pro Retina 15'' 9,1 (Mid 2012) − Intel 2.7 GHz i7-3820QM / 2880x1800 R-LED / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB GDDR5 / 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3L / 768GB Flash Storage (OS X/Win7U)

Last edited:

DF9

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
"Dark Side2"… Continued!!!

Hey Joel… if the info you gave on your original posting is correct, this is the Latest Driver for Windows 7 64bit, it is straight from the HP website… (This looks like a "Very Nice Machine" and worth finding a solution too…)

— HP LaserJet 3390 All-in-One Printer (Model Name)
— HP LaserJet 3390 All-In-One Printer - c00461436.gif (Picture Of… From HP Website)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...sId=1140785&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4063 (From HP Website)

The other two are from a Google Search of which there are millions search results for …

http://www.google.com/search?client...aserjet+3390+driver+for+mac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=hp+laserjet+3390+driver&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Hopefully this can get the "Print/Scanner Issue" resolved for you…

Still working on the list of Apps for OSX…. As time allows it should be soon!

*** Another Note Please Call OWC MacSales.com... They are in Woodstock Ill. Near Chicago... 1.800.275.4576 (Toll-Free) or 1.815.338.8685 (International), … "They do all of this stuff for a living and have great Tech Support!" (They have helped me with a lot of strange issues where others could not find an answer!) Check out their WS first if you like (MacSales.com) as they do have a lot of "Info posted on the WS" as well as tons of upgrades, software and replacement items for Mac Hardware. (They can also answer a lot of the OSX/Windows/Bootcamp/Parallels/VMware Fusion, Paragon OSX/WIN, System Tools for Mac, Blu-ray for Mac, and other "Work-around Issues" and also if you "Sign-up for the OWC Larry NewsLetter" it will also give you "Current Price Discounts" ("Not Seen or Viewed Unless Subscriber" on the general WS) and "Monthly Garage Sales" …etc, and Very Cool Stuff posted on their OWC Blog) ***

 Macbook Pro Retina 15'' 9,1 (Mid 2012) − Intel 2.7 GHz i7-3820QM / 2880x1800 R-LED / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB GDDR5 / 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3L / 768GB Flash Storage (OS X/Win7U)

Last edited:

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
New MBP 13" 2012 vs MBP 13" 2011…guess that depends on your budget, if you can afford a MBP13" 2012 then order it through the Apple Online Store or Apple Call Center and order a Configure To Order (CTO) or Build To Order (BTO) and get it just the way you want it configured (can give you a name and number of a great "Apple Account Representative", who can help with any questions and possibly extend any discounts that may apply… but that requires a private message not an open posting here!)

The New 13" MBPR (Retina) is supposed to be released very soon according to the postings on this site's main page.

But that maybe like the 15" MBPR version which cannot be upgraded after purchase as there are no upgrades available at this time so… "Max-Out the CPU/RAM" as they are "Soldered to the Logic Board/MB" and because of that it cannot be done later! But the "SSD" is attached via a "Newer Type Connector" than the other connectors previously used by Apple,… so until there are upgrades for "SSD's with that Connector Type" (In the Works) you have to order it with the "Largest SSD Available" or wait until they become available to purchase and let the prices come down to realistic rates!

The MBP 2011 your friend has… can be upgraded to perform as well as a new one,… but several things cannot be upgraded… the CPU/GPU/Display are fixed "Not Upgradeable" but the "OS, SSD/HDD's (One in the MainBay and One Drive in the Optical Drive Bay), RAM" all can be to make it scream like a banshee… if you use a Later 2011 MPB 13" you can also use faster SSD than the early 2011 versions!

Appreciate the advice…this is where I have landed…the cost of my friend’s February 2011 MBP is the same as the cost of a similarly configured Apple Refurbished October / 2011 MBP…with that, I have told my friend that he has to provide better pricing because for the same price I would rather have the refurbished unit as i) it is essentially a new laptop and ii) it makes me eligible for One-on-One which is important to me being a new Mac user.

If my friend comes through – and I made it clear that he was under no pressure to do so – the I will buy his unit…if he does not come through then I will need to decide whether to buy a refurbished unit or wait for the MBPR pricing (though I may still elect to go with a refurbished MBP as I like having the ability to upgrade the unit)….with that, please do PM me your AAR’s contact’s details.

"Although I believe that I understand what you are saying I do not think the issue has been addressed…let me give this a try."

"I understand that each application will save a file in its native format (i.e. Word for Windows is *.doc or *.docx) or other format that it allows (i.e. Word for Windows can save a file in *.pdf format)."

*** Correct…. ***

"The issue that I was trying to address, and perhaps wrongly is that would a Word for Windows *.doc file be stored in HFS+ format on the Mac partition (which makes sense to me) and in NTFS format on the Windows partition (assuming I am using Windows in Parallels, which also makes sense to me)."

*** NO! This is where the confusion is… if you create any document or whatever… it is 'Saved As Whatever Kind of Extension that Goes with that App’… (i.e. Word for Windows is *.doc or *.docx)… and "stored wherever you tell it to" or stored to a "default location"… But it is "STORED ON THE DRIVE" that is "FORMATTED for within that OS"…***

*** NOT... "STORED IN A NTFS FORMAT ON THE WINDOWS PARTITION" or "STORED IN A HFS+ FORMAT ON THE OSX PARTITION"…

*** Files Are Not Stored in HFS+ or NTFS format,… only on the drive that is formatted with each File System!!! ***

The App's "DO NOT" use the "NTFS or HFS+ Formatting" that is just the "Format of that Disk" that is created or used when the "OS is first installed on that disk", (Using a Bare Drive or Reformatting) it will format the drive and create a "Recovery and Boot Partition" which contains the "System OS Master Boot Record (MBR) and System Recovery Files…. and/or Storage Drives if used within that Volume", as well as the formatting of the "External Drives" used! Same for all… (Windows / OSX / Ubuntu / Linux / Unix / etc)… and the "System will Start or Boot From that MBR Drive"!

When the "System Starts it Scans or Looks" for that "Boot Partition to tell it what to do"! Ok… so if only "One Physical Drive" is present upon Startup the OS will access that "Recovery and a Boot Partition" (Regardless of how many Partitions) and use the "C:/Drive Partition (Windows) to Store Files" unless "There is another partition on the same drive" (D:/Drive, E:/Drive, F:/Drive etc)… and the "OS is told to Store There" or it will store wherever… instead of the C:/Drive!

If you have more than "One OS or Boot Drive (Dual Boot System) and if… "One of the Two Boot Drives" is not selected as the "Primary Boot Drive" the System will ask "Which Drive you want to Start or Boot From"… (When first powering up the machine if you hold down the Option Key, as the "System is Starting" it will ask the same thing as above, "What Drive Do You Want to Use?").

*** Note… I store files on Drives Formatted in HFS+, HTFS, FAT32 and can move them to any one of the drive formats, it is the OS that has to be able to access each drive…

It is easiest if think of the "Files As Just Being Files… No Matter Where They Are Stored"… "You Do Need to Use the Correct App to Create or Change (Read/Write)"... But you can still "Store Any File Anywhere As Long As the OS's File System" can accommodate that file size! ** (Like the "FAT32 File Size Limitations",… It is still used because it's compatibility with… and/or it can be easily accessed to read/write from both OSX and Windows)! **

If you think of the Windows (NTFS) Drives or OSX (HFS+) Drives as "ONLY" being used to contain the OS and it's App's (Master Drive)… AND… Store All Files/Folders on a Second Partition or Internal Drive for Storage Only (Slave Drive)… (Is this is easier?)

** In Windows this is having your "C:/Drive Contain the OS and the App's Only" (Master Drive)!… and "Tell the OS to Store in D:/Drive Only" (Slave Drive)! ** "Windows Uses "Letters A, B, C, D, E" to Designate the Drive Identification Assignment" **

** In OSX this is having your Macintosh SSD/HDD #1 (Or ?… If renamed) and "Tell the OS to Store in Macintosh SSD/HDD #2 Only! ** OSX Uses "Names 1, 2, 3, 4, 5" to Designate the Drive Identification Assignment" **

*** That is the "Biggest Problem Across the "Two Platforms they cannot Talk To Each Other" without "Third Party Drivers That Allow Cross Platform Conversation" ***

Thus the "Paragon Software Group"… "NTFS for OSX and HFS+ for Windows"… So… "Those Drivers Allow the Two Platforms to Read/Write to Each Others Drives" or "Talk to Each Other or Whatever"!

Does that make sense to you, or just more confusing?

Yes, I think…let me play it back to you in my own words…

1. Any application stores files in its native file format (i.e. Word for Windows in *.doc or *.docx) or other permissible format (i.e. Word for Windows can store files as *.pdf files).

2. The drive format (i.e. HFS+ for OS X or NTFS for Windows) is an issue – ignoring the physical file size limitations – only to the extent that an OS can / cannot read a particular drives format.

3. To extend the example / point…assuming there is a *.doc file on an OS X formatted drive then Windows would not be able to access that drive (without HFS+ for Windows or some other like application) because Windows cannot read a HFS+ formatted…

So, did I get it?

"The point – assuming the above is correct – is what is my ability to move the file between computers / users via e-mail, thumb drives, etc. This is what I do not have the answer to."

"I have reviewed the Paragon “NTFS for Mac OS X” website and note that it appears to be necessary for external drives and not internal drives…that is, it is my understanding that such would NOT be necessary to access the BootCamp partition of my HDD/SSD…is this correct or incorrect?"

*** NO! it is for ALL Drives formatted in HTFS and HFS+ … I use Both "NTFS for OSX and HFS+ for Windows" and they DO WORK FOR ALL INTERNAL or EXTERNAL DRIVES! ***

Got it…the interesting point or, perhaps, natural conclusion is that Parallels must therefore contain some similar functionality to Paragon’s “NTFS for OS X” within its VM to the extent that it provides access to the Windows partition and files contained thereon…

"I need to speak with the folks at Parallels but that said I am leaning towards Option 1 to keep things consistent regardless of how I use Windows."

*** Yes… I too… would use it the same way if I were going to use Parallels! ***

Great minds think alike 

DF9 and Others:

**** They don't work like that ****

**** Don't think so… if you are using Parallels in option one I am not sure if this will work… unless it counts both OS's as a System Image in option one… "I think you need to ask Parallels Tech Support" ****

Actually I did and did not get a clear answer…I need to figure this out as it is clearly critical…

Any thoughts on this…store all of my data on the OS X (Windows) partition, and Paragon’s “NTFS for OS X” (“HFS+ for Windows) and use Time Machine (Windows Backup) to ensure that all my data is backed up…yes, this will ensure that all my data is backed up but will not backup the system settings in 1 of the 2 OSs which admittedly is less than ideal but i) the “other OS system settings” can be backed up whenever a new application is added / changed and ii) there is no issue for me rebuilding a Windows machine as I have been doing this for years…

Are you currently running a 64bit or 32bit version of Windows?

32-bit…the only laptop that I currently have is my work laptop and to minimize compatibility issues it is running 32-bit

Assuming that your HP Printer/Scanner is using a USB 2.0 Cable or Wi-FI to connect to the PC… (Not a Serial/Parallel Cable) most all USB 2.0 devices are Plug-N-Play… meaning that Windows and/or the device itself have the drivers needed to run on a given machine…maybe I was not clear about the way I phrased the comment about the 32-bit drivers… in opinion maybe you are over thinking this issue and/or someone (at HP or ?) has suggested that Windows 64bit, will not let you "Scan with the 32bit drivers" on the Windows 64bit version!

Windows should recognize the Printer/Scanner, and just like in "OSX's Image Capture"… or "Windows Import Image" if you go in "Windows>Control Panel> Add Printer/Scanner " it should allow you to install and run that 32bit driver on a "Windows 64bit System" and if for some resin you cannot get it open go to… "Get Info (OSX) / Properties (Windows) and check or tick the box "Open/Run in 32bit Mode" for OSX or Windows 7...

With the current OS's (OSX/Windows) 64bit versions have the ability to run the 32bit Drivers on the 64bit OS (Older 64bit OS's Did Not!) So I am a little unsure of why you feel the need to run Windows in 32bit Version just to be able to scan… Windows drivers are always being updated to resolve theses issues!

The printer is connected via an ethernet network card…it has no WiFi…

The HP driver webpage is very clear that its 32-bit drivers will not work on 64-bit Windows 7 and have tried everything to get it to go including contacting HP support and they said “no dice”…

With respect to the driver updates there has never been a scan friendly driver for 64-bit Windows (for my printer)…

CIO…

— http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help

— http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/hardware-drivers

— http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Install-a-printer

*** (How Old is this HP Printer/Scanner… it maybe time for a "New One"… instead of "Fighting the 32bit Issues")! ***

The printer is probably 5 years old but works great and I have no desire to change it…read the added comments in the next section…

***** Personally I think it "Just Crazy to use Windows 32-bit version on a 64-bit machine just to use a scanner… Hell go buy a stand alone scanner that can run on a 64-bit machine (they are not that much)… or you may as well just stay with the laptop you have if it is a 32bit machine" *****

If you cannot get it to work send me a private message and exchange email or digits to get this running

Appreciate the offer and may do so…that said, there likely is no need for the following reasons:

1. If I can scan in OS X using Image Capture then who cares whether or not I can scan in Windows…not me!

2. If I then store all my data in my drive in *.PDF format then again who cares as long as I have the necessary versions of “NTFS for OS X” or “HFS+ for Windows”.

In any event, problem solved!

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hey Joel… if the info you gave on your original posting is correct, this is the Latest Driver for Windows 7 64bit, it is straight from the HP website… (This looks like a "Very Nice Machine" and worth finding a solution too…)

— HP LaserJet 3390 All-in-One Printer (Model Name)
— HP LaserJet 3390 All-In-One Printer - c00461436.gif (Picture Of… From HP Website)

— http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...sId=1140785&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4063 (From HP Website)

Agreed it is a nice machine which is why I want to keep it going...the driver you refer to clearly states that it will not work in 64-bit Windows and it does not....see http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02096212

The other two are from a Google Search of which there are millions search results for …

— http://www.google.com/search?client...aserjet+3390+driver+for+mac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

— http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=hp+laserjet+3390+driver&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Hopefully this can get the "Printer/Scanner Issue" resolved for you…

Appreciate you doing the research...that said, this may no longer be an issue to the extent that I can scan in OS X because then I really do not care about scanning within Windows...

Still working on the list of Apps for OSX…. As time allows it should be soon!

Great, look forward to it though there is no hurry as I am still a little bot away from getting a MBP unless -- per my above posting -- my friend drops his price...

*** Another Note Please Call OWC MacSales.com... They are in Woodstock Ill. Near Chicago... 1.800.275.4576 (Toll-Free) or 1.815.338.8685 (International), … "They do all of this stuff for a living and have great Tech Support!" (They have helped me with a lot of strange issues where others could not find an answer!) Check out their WS first if you like (MacSales.com) as they do have a lot of "Info posted on the WS" as well as tons of upgrades, software and replacement items for Mac Hardware. (They can also answer a lot of the OSX/Windows/Bootcamp/Parallels/VMware Fusion…etc, Issues)

Thanks, looks as though they will be a great resource..interesting, one thing that I could notfind (took a fast look mind you) is how they charge to technical support..do they actually charge or do they assume that their support offering will result in sales...any ideas...

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Well, my friend's MBP fell off the table as he refused to budge on his price...I now find myself having to choose between a refurb MBP (which I am fine with) or waiting for the 13 RMBP to arrive.

Hmmm, I think I am going to see whether ant my friends have a MBP that I can borrow for a bit to make sure that I like it -- at least at a high level (i.e. without fully customizing it) -- and, if yes, I will then likely wait for the RMBP and get it loaded so that it will be good to go for 2 to 3 years.

Joel

DF9

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
"Dark Side2"… Continued2!!!

Hey Joel… If I am reading this correctly, it states that… "You can run in 32bit compatibility mode" its easy to do… and this is done on W7 and OSX for items that Dev's have not written Drivers (code) for a specific device!

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02096212

*********************>>>>
From that link…

NOTE: HP LaserJet 3050, 3052, 3055, 3390 and 3392 All-in-Ones are supported in the Windows 7 32-bit operating system (OS) only and are not supported in the 64-bit Windows 7 environment. If you are using the Windows 7 64-bit OS, use the driver included in the operating system to enable print/scan software functionality (print only when installed through a network) and then use the Scan and Fax feature in Windows or the product control panel to fax. Do NOT install a Universal Print Driver (UPD) because this option is print only and is not recommended for multifunction products (MFPs).

The HP LaserJet 3050, 3052, 3055, 3390 and 3392 All-in-Ones have a basic print/scan-only driver built into the Windows 7 operating system (OS).

"NOTE: When you connect the product to the computer, Windows 7 detects the hardware and automatically installs the correct driver. A notification lets you know when installation begins and when it is complete. You do not have to download any software or insert the product CD to enable this basic driver."

"This basic driver does not include the same features provided on the product CD or in the full feature solution. Customers need to upgrade from the basic print driver to a full solution to enable product software functionality. To do this for HP LaserJet 3050, 3052, 3055, 3390 and 3392 All-in-Ones, obtain the full feature software for Vista (from either the product CD or online download) and then…" *** "Follow the steps in this document to run the HP software on the Windows 7 PC in Windows Vista compatibility mode (32-bit only)." …. "The article continues on… " ***

*** ("This what I was talking about previously, as I use this feature for both OS's on occasions if needed") ***

"Hey after re-reading the the previous posts it may have sounded like I was "barking a little bit"… So… here is an Edit!"
(Changed the originals to reflect this!)

***** Personally I think it "Just Crazy to use Windows 32bit version on a 64bit machine just to use a scanner… Hell go buy a stand alone scanner that can run on a 64bit machine (they are not that much)… or you may as well just stay with the laptop you have if it is a 32bit machine" ***** (If you cannot get it to work send me a private message and exchange email or digits to get this running) This might sound too harsh or kurt, but sometimes the fight to get something to do… or find a work-around, we have to find a compromise, if only just to save our sanity!

Appreciate the advice…this is where I have landed…the cost of my friend’s February 2011 MBP is the same as the cost of a similarly configured Apple Refurbished October / 2011 MBP…with that, I have told my friend that he has to provide better pricing because for the same price I would rather have the refurbished unit as i) it is essentially a new laptop and ii) it makes me eligible for One-on-One which is important to me being a new Mac user.

*** Point well made! … maybe some thing else will appear as well ***

If my friend comes through – and I made it clear that he was under no pressure to do so – the I will buy his unit…if he does not come through then I will need to decide whether to buy a refurbished unit or wait for the MBPR pricing (though I may still elect to go with a refurbished MBP as I like having the ability to upgrade the unit)….with that, please do PM me your AAR’s contact’s details.

*** Just let me know… or ask more questions,… also the MBP vs MBPR is another issue to discuss more about as well ***

Yes, I think…let me play it back to you in my own words…

1. Any application stores files in its native file format (i.e. Word for Windows in *.doc or *.docx) or other permissible format (i.e. Word for Windows can store files as *.pdf files).

*** Yes, MS Office can save as ".pdf or .xps" to save the item on the drive ***

2. The drive format (i.e. HFS+ for OS X or NTFS for Windows) is an issue – ignoring the physical file size limitations – only to the extent that an OS can / cannot read a particular drives format.

*** OK this sounds like maybe it's a little confusing so… the two "SW Packages" are "Drivers" that allow the two OS's access each others drives as they are natively named differently! Their job is to remove the barriers between the two… "Drive Names" and the "Forward Slash vs Back Slash" and a "few other issues" that are the way the system is coded or written,… and yes the VM software packages do this but they are running within a window on the desktop not as just one OS or the Other! ***

3. To extend the example / point…assuming there is a *.doc file on an OS X formatted drive then Windows would not be able to access that drive (without HFS+ for Windows or some other like application) because Windows cannot read a HFS+ formatted…

*** When "Booted into OSX or Windows" you can view the files as "Read Only"… but "Not Read and Write!" So thats where the "HFS+ for OS X or NTFS for Windows" comes in, … but you can still transfer them from one location to the other though, it's just "moving from and to"! I have taken files from one drive formatted in HTFS and moved them to a drive formatted HFS+ and vise-versa, on either one of the two OS's,... I do it all the time!

So, did I get it?

*** Mostly Yes!… if I can simplify please ask! ***

"Well, my friend's MBP fell off the table as he refused to budge on his price...I now find myself having to choose between a refurb MBP (which I am fine with) or waiting for the 13 RMBP to arrive."

"Hmmm, I think I am going to see whether ant my friends have a MBP that I can borrow for a bit to make sure that I like it -- at least at a high level (i.e. without fully customizing it) -- and, if yes, I will then likely wait for the RMBP and get it loaded so that it will be good to go for 2 to 3 years."

*** Sorry to here that maybe it is for the better… I'll keep an ear to the grapevine to see what is available out this way!

Hey… maybe give OWC a call maybe they might have some units available as well,… I have purchased a lot of items from them in the past,… as well as spent a lot of time "online chat" or "the phone" with their TS and they have been very helpful! (If you want more info MP me)… Plus check out their "OWC Blog" a lot of great info listed there, just have dig around you never know what you might find to address other issues!

FYI… They also do "Custom Configuration" of "New or Used Mac Machines" for the "Commercial/Professional Sector" as well as the "Consumer Side!"… they also have a lot of items compatible with "Windows Machines" as well… Can give you more info if interested! ***

BTW… Have a lot of friends and associates that use a MBP's and mostly "Use Windows Only" on them, and would say it is the best machine they "ever used/owned!" I can't say that I am partial to one OS or the other as I use each OS differently, and would like to see the things I do like, incorporated into the other to make both OS's even better! But the hardware, and "Apple's attention to detail in engineering and design are definitely Top Notch" as well as I have never had a machine "built so sturdy and look so good while doing it!" (OK… maybe not as tough as a "ToughBook", but it is very simple inside, and still really gets it on!)

Will answer more later, keep trying to not to get too long or wordy, Butt… "Stuff Happens!"

 MacBook Pro 17'' 8,3 (L-2011) Intel 2.5 GHz i7-2860QM / 1920x1200 LED / AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1GB GDDR5 / 16GB 1333MHz DDR3L / (2) 960GB SSD (OSX/Win7U-64bit)(Bay1) + 960GB SSD (Storage)(Bay2) "Striped RAID 0" / Pioneer BDR-XD04 BDXL-RW BD Drive + Apple USB SuperDrive + Mac SuperDrive-External Enclosure / Wintec 48GB SSD, 64GB SSD, & 128GB SSD ExpressCard's / Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adaptor / Sonnet eSATA ExpressCard's & CF-CFP-SDXC-SD-MMC-XD-Sony MS-Sony SxS… Multi-Card Memory Reader-Writer ExpressCard's

 Mac Pro 5,1 (M-2010) − (2) Intel 2.93 GHz Xeon X5670 / (2) NVIDIA Quatro 4GB GDDR5 / 96GB 1333MHz DDR3 / 960GB PCI-Express SSD (OSX/Win-7U-64bit) + (4) 3TB Enterprise HDD (Bay1-4) + 300TB External "RAID 5" Storage / Mac SuperDrive + Pioneer BDR-206MBK BDXL-RW BD Drive / Wintec 48GB SSD, 64GB SSD, & 128GB SSD ExpressCard's / Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro eSATA Adaptor / Sonnet & OWC eSATA ExpressCards & Sonnet-OWC-Sony CF-CFP-SDXC-SD-MMC-XD-Sony MS-Sony SxS… Multi-Card Memory Reader-Writer ExpressCard's

 MacBook Pro 15'' 9,1 (M-2012) Intel 2.7 GHz i7-3820QM / 2880x1800 R-LED / NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 / 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L / 768GB Flash Storage (OSX/Win7U-64bit) / Pioneer BDR-XD04 BDXL-RW BD Drive + Apple USB SuperDrive + Mac SuperDrive-External Enclosure / Wintec 48GB SSD, 64GB SSD, & 128GB SSD ExpressCard's / Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adaptor / Sonnet & OWC eSATA ExpressCards / Sonnet-OWC-Sony CF-CFP-SDXC-SD-MMC-XD-Sony MS-Sony SxS… Multi-Card Memory Reader-Writer ExpressCard's

 (2) iPad 3 64GB (New iPad)  iPad 2 64GB  iPhone 4S 64GB  iPhone 4 32GB  iPhone 3G 16GB

 — "Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit always runs "Best" on Mac Hardware" — 

Last edited:

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hey Joel… If I am reading this correctly, it states that… "You can run in 32bit compatibility mode" it is easy to do… and this is done on W7 and OSX for items that developers have not written Drivers (code) for a specific device!

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02096212

From that link…

“NOTE: HP LaserJet 3050, 3052, 3055, 3390 and 3392 All-in-Ones are supported in the Windows 7 32-bit operating system (OS) only and are not supported in the 64-bit Windows 7 environment. If you are using the Windows 7 64-bit OS, use the driver included in the operating system to enable print/scan software functionality (print only when installed through a network) and then use the Scan and Fax feature in Windows or the product control panel to fax. Do NOT install a Universal Print Driver (UPD) because this option is print only and is not recommended for multifunction products (MFPs).”

I tried the above on my wife’s 64-bit Windows 7 machine. I installed the driver which came with the OS which was print only (as I was connected through a network) and was able to print. I could not scan through the Scan and Fax feature as the applet never recognized the printer / scanner.

I am thinking that the issue might have to do with the fact that the printer/scanner is connected via through a network connection rather than USB (which per the above only supports printing) and, in the reading the above carefully (i.e. see the text that I have bolded) it specifically notes that the Scan and Fax feature only supports faxing (i.e. not scanning).

“The HP LaserJet 3050, 3052, 3055, 3390 and 3392 All-in-Ones have a basic print/scan-only driver built into the Windows 7 operating system (OS).”

"NOTE: When you connect the product to the computer, Windows 7 detects the hardware and automatically installs the correct driver. A notification lets you know when installation begins and when it is complete. You do not have to download any software or insert the product CD to enable this basic driver."

"This basic driver does not include the same features provided on the product CD or in the full feature solution. Customers need to upgrade from the basic print driver to a full solution to enable product software functionality. To do this for HP LaserJet 3050, 3052, 3055, 3390 and 3392 All-in-Ones, obtain the full feature software for Vista (from either the product CD or online download) and then…" *** "Follow the steps in this document to run the HP software on the Windows 7 PC in Windows Vista compatibility mode (32-bit only)." …. "The article continues on… "

Agreed, but unless I am missing something, which is possible, I believe that the above clearly indicates / read that scanning will not work in 64-bit Windows 7.

Hey after re-reading the previous posts it may have sounded like I was "barking a little bit"… So… here is an Edit!

No worries as I did not feel as though I was being barked at.

Appreciate the advice...this is where I have landed…the cost of my friend’s February 2011 MBP is the same as the cost of a similarly configured Apple Refurbished October / 2011 MB…with that, I have told my friend that he has to provide better pricing because for the same price I would rather have the refurbished unit as i) it is essentially a new laptop and ii) it makes me eligible for One-on-One which is important to me being a new Mac user.

*** Point well made! … Maybe something else will appear as well ***

Every now and then I make a point… :)

If my friend comes through, and I made it clear that he was under no pressure to do so,– then I will buy his unit if he does not come through then I will need to decide whether to buy a refurbished unit or wait for the MBPR pricing (though I may still elect to go with a refurbished MBP as I like having the ability to upgrade the unit) ….with that, please do PM me your AARs contact’s details.

*** Just let me know… or ask more questions,… also the MBP vs. MBPR is another issue to discuss more about as well ***

MBP vs. MNPR comparison / information would be appreciated…so, whenever you are ready bring it on!

*** OK this sounds like maybe it's a little confusing so… the two "SW Packages" are "Drivers" that allow the two OS's access each other’s drives as they are natively named differently! Their job is to remove the barriers between the two… "Drive Names" and the "Forward Slash vs. Back Slash" and a "few other issues" that are the way the system is coded or written,… and yes the VM software packages do this but they are running within a window on the desktop not as just one OS or the Other! ***

3. To extend the example / point assuming there is a *.doc file on an OS X formatted drive then Windows would not be able to access that drive (without HFS+ for Windows or some other like application) because Windows cannot read a HFS+ formatted…

*** When "Booted into OSX or Windows" you can view the files as "Read Only"… but "Not Read and Write!" So that’s where the "HFS+ for OS X or NTFS for Windows" comes in, … but you can still transfer them from one location to the other though, it's just "moving from and to"! I have taken files from one drive formatted in HTFS and moved them to a drive formatted HFS+ and vise-versa, on either one of the two OS's,... I do it all the time!

So, did I get it?

*** Mostly Yes!… if I can simplify please ask! ***

I note two clarifications from my initial understanding:

1. The Paragon software – or like software – enables or provides ‘Read and Write’ capabilities between the two differently formatted drives whereas without the software the user only has ‘Read’ capabilities between the two differently formatted drives.

2. The above (i.e. 1 above) is accomplished by essentially removing/translating the barriers / differences between the two different formats.

Have I got it now>

Well, my friend's MBP fell off the table as he refused to budge on his price...I now find myself having to choose between a refurb MBP (which I am fine with) or waiting for the 13 RMBP to arrive.

Hmmm, I think I am going to see whether ant my friends have a MBP that I can borrow for a bit to make sure that I like it -- at least at a high level (i.e. without fully customizing it) -- and, if yes, I will then likely wait for the RMBP and get it loaded so that it will be good to go for 2 to 3 years.

*** Sorry to hear that maybe it is for the better… I'll keep an ear to the grapevine to see what is available out this way!

I think it is for the best…if I go refurbished MBP then I can get One-on-One which will be useful for me and, if anything, the prices will come down…if I go MBPR then I can get One-on-One and have a machine that will last for some time…and, above that, I do not have to worry about problems from a friend’s machine.

Hey… maybe give OWC a call maybe they might have some units available as well,… I have purchased a lot of items from them in the past,… as well as spent a lot of time "online chat" or "the phone" with their TS and they have been very helpful! (If you want more info MP me)… Plus check out their "OWC Blog" a lot of great info listed there, just have dig around never know what you might find to address other issues!

Thanks…I have signed up for the OWC Newsletters…hopefully there will be some good deals in there.

Yes, please send me a PM with BOTH your AAR’s contact details as well as the above!

WTW… They also do "Custom Configuration" of "New or Used Mac Machines" for the "Commercial/Professional Sector" as well as the "Consumer Side!"… they also have a lot of items compatible with "Windows Machines" as well… Can give you more info if interested! ***

Will answer more later, keep trying to not to get too long or wordy, Butt… "Stuff Happens!"

Thanks to both of the above…really appreciate the help.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Bump...DF9, are you out there as I would appreciate your thoughts on the above as well as a PM of yoru contacts both at OWC and Apple?

Thanks,

Joel

Last edited:

DF9

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Bump...DF9, are you out there as I would appreciate your thoughts on the above as well as a PM of yoru contacts both at OWC and Apple?

Thanks,

Joel

Been Slammed for time will post soon! :/

DF9

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF9
“The HP LaserJet 3050, 3052, 3055, 3390 and 3392 All-in-Ones have a basic print/scan-only driver built into the Windows 7 operating system (OS).”

"This basic driver does not include the same features provided on the product CD or in the full feature solution. Customers need to upgrade from the basic print driver to a full solution to enable product software functionality. To do this for HP LaserJet 3050, 3052, 3055, 3390 and 3392 All-in-Ones, obtain the full feature software for Vista (from either the product CD or online download) and then…" *** "Follow the steps in this document to run the HP software on the Windows 7 PC in Windows Vista compatibility mode (32-bit only)." …. "The article continues on… "
Agreed, but unless I am missing something, which is possible, I believe that the above clearly indicates / read that scanning will not work in 64-bit Windows 7.

I tried the above on my wife’s 64-bit Windows 7 machine. I installed the driver which came with the OS which was print only (as I was connected through a network) and was able to print. I could not scan through the Scan and Fax feature as the applet never recognized the printer / scanner.

I am thinking that the issue might have to do with the fact that the printer/scanner is connected via through a network connection rather than USB (which per the above only supports printing) and, in the reading the above carefully (i.e. see the text that I have bolded) it specifically notes that the Scan and Fax feature only supports faxing (i.e. not scanning).

"DO NOT" install a 'Universal Print Driver' (UPD) because this 'Option is Print Only' and is 'Not Recommended' for 'Multifunction Products' (MFPs).”

***** "Follow the steps in this document to run the HP software on the Windows 7 PC in Windows Vista compatibility mode (32-bit only)." ***** …. ***** "The article continues on… " *****

*** ("This what I was talking about previously, as I use this feature for both OS's on occasions if needed") ***

Also think the network connection IS the issue if you can change the router & network setup it might work better... and do not install the driver you used before, use the scan in windows to do scanning and save to...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.