Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g5_11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Hello everyone

I have a single 1.8 G5 with the Radeon 9600XT in it. I recently bought the game World of Warcraft and am very pleased with the game. At 1024*768 res though with the settings turned up I only manage to get 20-25fps. As a friend of mine has a 9800 pro in his pc which is a 3.0 p4 manages to get 50-60 I was wondering if it would be worth me upgrading my card. I know that comparing pcs to macs is like apples to oranges but it has to mean somthing. I have checked the cpu usage while playing and it rarely exceeds two thirds so that is not the issue. If i did buy a new card I would consider the x800 Xt. Does anyone have any input or other suggestions?

Thanks

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
g5_11 said:
Hello everyone

I have a single 1.8 G5 with the Radeon 9600XT in it. I recently bought the game World of Warcraft and am very pleased with the game. At 1024*768 res though with the settings turned up I only manage to get 20-25fps. As a friend of mine has a 9800 pro in his pc which is a 3.0 p4 manages to get 50-60 I was wondering if it would be worth me upgrading my card. I know that comparing pcs to macs is like apples to oranges but it has to mean somthing. I have checked the cpu usage while playing and it rarely exceeds two thirds so that is not the issue. If i did buy a new card I would consider the x800 Xt. Does anyone have any input or other suggestions?

Thanks
X800XT is sweet... :cool:
Let me know if you want to sell your 9600XT. I would like to upgrade my GF FX5200.

g5_11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
As I have been using a terrible old compaq crt I think i may make the move to an apple 20 inch lcd. I will re-evaluate everything then I think. Does anyone else have an x800 that could provide some input?

Jazzbolicious

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2004
Alfred, NY
Very wise idea. Definately skip the gpu upgrade and get a lcd monitor for now. That alone will make everything sooo much prettier. It'd be silly to spring for a x800 with an old crt attached to it. By the time you get the new card, it might be cheaper... ;)

If your gpu is the bottleneck now, getting an x800 might reverse the problem. I'm not sure at what point your cpu will be lagging behind your gpu, with a 1.8 g5. Perhaps the x800 is overkill, so maybe the 9800 is just right?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
g5_11 said:
Hello everyone

Thanks

Why not get X850 XT? :D

I suggest that you get Apple Cinema Display first. Its awesome and really make things look much prettier :D

g5_11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Thanks guys, I think I am going to take your advice and get the lcd. I will see how things are then and maby prices will go down by then anyway.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Warning:

LCDs only look good when run at native resolution. If you interpolate the signal by running it at another resolution it looks fuzzy because it has to spread out information to multiple pixels and sometimes has to divide them (1.5 pixels).

The 20" native resolution is 1680 x 1050. If your current card can't handle 1024 x 768 in games, there is no way it can handle the 1680 x 1050 that the LCD will want.

If you are a gamer, frame rates have to come first. Then pretty displays :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.