Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Well, technically it is possible to downgrade the OS. Just not as a reverse upgrade. The disk/partition needs to be wiped first. I did that with my Snow Leopard disc at one point. Although of course I would assume the target OS would have to be on a physical media.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A partial transcript of the photograph of a failed attempt:

… a recovery system can't be created. …

http://www.apple.com/support/no-recovery redirects to

Did you attempt a non-clean installation of Mavericks over an installation of pre-release Yosemite – without erasing the Yosemite startup volume?

Pre-release or not, I should never recommend that; and in some environments it may be difficult to achieve.

(Maybe too early to tell whether firmware for Yosemite will allow installation of Mavericks on every supported Mac, and so on. Consider at least How can I downgrade the OS on a Mac to the original one it came with? – Snow Leopard desired there, but hopefully you get the idea (side note, terminology: Apple does not provide an option to downgrade the OS). There's an unanswered question from me: Amongst Macs that can be upgraded to support OS X Recovery, can any model *not* accept a firmware downgrade?)

What's the firmware of the affected Mac?

Was yesterday's backup of Mavericks, or of Yosemite?

What version, what build is the Recovery OS? (Use sw_vers in Terminal.)

When did Disk Utility last report that the HFS Plus file system of the Time Machine backup was apparently OK?

Have you tried erasing the volume to which you're attempting installation, to which you're attempting restoration, before making those attempts?

Have you tried partitioning the disk on which you're making those attempts, before making them?

Last but not least, refocusing on the opening post and my first responses, please: what did iDefrag show about the catalog and attributes files?

Thanks for the response. To give an update what I have now done is I used my clone file I had from using CCC, booted into that and then cloned it back onto my startup drive so I am now running on my startup drive again.

Not ideal as somehow I have lost my Recovery partition. CCC had created that a few days ago so I'm not sure why it didn't clone too.
*Update on this part* I found out how to recreate the recovery using CCC, so that is a little progress at least.

Here is a screenshot from the demo of iDefrag:

Screen_Shot_2014_10_13_at_10_38_45_AM.png

Yesterdays TM backup was on Yosemite, the same PB version as the current one. I've been using Yosemite since it was first released, so a while now.

sw_vers in Terminal:

ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.10
BuildVersion: 14A386b

Yes I did try erasing the partition, I completely wiped it before trying to install Mavericks and restoring a TM backup.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Thanks.

Zooming in to the screenshot (Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 10-38-45 AM.png), at that time (after the clone?) it appears that both directory files were contiguous, not fragmented.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Why do you people even bother with betas if you don't know what are you doing...

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Why do you people even bother with betas if you don't know what are you doing...

Hah well excuse me Mr.pro but I thought I did. I've been working with windows for years but I haven't been able to find why I'm having this problem.

My experience with TM is limited so I don't know why it isn't working. I thought it would be as easy as restoring the backup but I guess not.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Hah well excuse me Mr.pro but I thought I did. I've been working with windows for years but I haven't been able to find why I'm having this problem.

My experience with TM is limited so I don't know why it isn't working. I thought it would be as easy as restoring the backup but I guess not.

That's the problem. You thought you did. You gonn learn today. Never install betas, especially on your functioning system. Who knows why time machines fails. Maybe you didn't complete the backup. Maybe you screwed with logical disks deleting something or partitioning something the wrong way. I see you also have a bootcamp.. You should've just created a logical partition and install yosemite on that, not over mavericks. Now your best bet is clear install and then just copying stuff back from time machine.

TheBSDGuy

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
You sound to me like you're having a cable problem. The only tool that I know of that will check for that sort of thing and is Yosemite capable is Scannerz at:

http://scsc-online.com/Scannerz.html

You can check out some of their troubleshooting docs on their site as well.

A bad cable will act just like hitting a bad block on a drive except the problems are erratic and not repeatable. According to SCSC, the guys who make Scannerz, the problems typically get worse until the system becomes completely unusable.

One way you might try to test it, if you have the hardware, is try to install Mavericks onto an external drive. That will completely isolate the SSD/cable from the system and give you an OS that you know for sure works. If the problems go away, then you've at least isolated it to some extent. If problems continue when booting from external media then it's pointing at RAM or logic board problems of some sort.

As an FYI, I'm not a big fan of Yosemite, and its beta's have had their quirks and little bugs, but I have yet to see a show stopper like you're reporting...at least not from the OS anyway.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
That's the problem. You thought you did. You gonn learn today. Never install betas, especially on your functioning system. Who knows why time machines fails. Maybe you didn't complete the backup. Maybe you screwed with logical disks deleting something or partitioning something the wrong way. I see you also have a bootcamp.. You should've just created a logical partition and install yosemite on that, not over mavericks. Now your best bet is clear install and then just copying stuff back from time machine.

I agree it is my best option. Unfortunately as I was using my Mavericks USB installer a few minutes in that also failed because I got the cannot create recovery error.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Well after 161 write errors on CCC and a CRC error using Drivedx to test my Samsung SSD completely disappeared in the middle of a cloning.

So it's possible it just completely died.

It is in the drive bay of my MBP and not visible on Disk Utility.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Have you detached anything connected to your system, used the "Option" key at boot-up, gone into Disk Utility, Erased your hard drive (If it shows up), than re-installed the OS X clean from scratch without any installed application/programs to see if you added or changed something that is giving you fits ?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Have you detached anything connected to your system, used the "Option" key at boot-up, gone into Disk Utility, Erased your hard drive (If it shows up), than re-installed the OS X clean from scratch without any installed application/programs to see if you added or changed something that is giving you fits ?

Yes tried many times. The drive was formatted several times and I selected "Reinstall OSX" many times but it would always just go forever. The time remaining would go to zero and then reset to 45m at the end and did that all night.

Using a USB installer of Mavericks would go a while and then give an error as well.

None of my Time Machine backups were working either and I know for a fact they were done right and all finished etc.

Up until now it was viewable in the option key menu on startup. However now it's completely gone.

Last night it was working because I cloned the backup I had made, I used that to boot off my external drive, then cloned it back onto my SSD. However today I wanted to retry a clean install which result in the drive now totally going invisible. In the middle of a backup it said the internal drive was disconnected. So either the cable is at fault or my drive is.

I think the ssd is dead.

I am now going to try using my external enclosure and put my SSD in it to see if it's visible there. If it is then I know it's my MBP's sata cable. If not it's the drive.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Anyone know what this means?

Screen_Shot_2014_10_13_at_4_31_58_PM.png

It says something about the cable being messed up but it's saying that both in my MBP and in the external drive, two totally different cables.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Anyone know what this means?

It says something about the cable being messed up but it's saying that both in my MBP and in the external drive, two totally different cables.

Cyclic Redundancy Check failures. It is indicating that files are corrupted. If that's from a clone, then the source was likely corrupted.

I would say that you've been having SSD issues for a while now.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Cyclic Redundancy Check failures. It is indicating that files are corrupted. If that's from a clone, then the source was likely corrupted.

I would say that you've been having SSD issues for a while now.

Alright, thanks for the help.

I don't know what to do now. I guess call Samsung and try and get a new SSD because the 840 Pro has a 5 year warranty.

TheBSDGuy

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
Drive DX is nothing more than an interface to smartmontools. The last time I used it the smartctl version embedded in their application was over a year old. If DriveDX hasn't been updated to support your drive or firmware it will often report erroneous data. You might want to try to contact them.

Like I said before, you should probably try to install the OS, preferably Mavericks onto an external hard drive. If the system works like that then you've at least isolated the problem to the SSD or its cable. If the same problems occur then you probably have some issue with the logic board or connections, or even the RAM. If the SATA cable has completely failed, the drive will not be visible to the system. If you order a new SSD and put it in and you have a bad cable, the same problems will just re-occur.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Alright, thanks for the help.

I don't know what to do now. I guess call Samsung and try and get a new SSD because the 840 Pro has a 5 year warranty.

Break their balls and request a new SSD. If you bought it on amazon, try with amazon first. They never mess with clients and prefer to make us happy.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Break their balls and request a new SSD. If you bought it on amazon, try with amazon first. They never mess with clients and prefer to make us happy.

Not bought on Amazon unfortunately, but I am going to request a new one. It's only been a year since I bought it.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Not bought on Amazon unfortunately, but I am going to request a new one. It's only been a year since I bought it.

I don't know how Samsung handles RMA but i'm sure they will send you a new one. Especially since it's a PRO version.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
This is never ending. Formatted the SSD and it seemed okay but when I cloned the backup back onto it and booted it up none of my applications would open.

The clone was fine I guess until the drive started failing and all my backups after that are now corrupt.

Bad situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.