Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
Wow, look at all those tabs. And not a single one has to reload. Imagine that.

All those MacRumor's pages full of text??

Man, did you even look at the size of a text html and compare it to a PNG or JPG file? Did you know that even those JPG and PNG files when are loaded to the OS RAM are not compressed anymore??? Did you know that one single image in RAW format (uncompressed) can take more than 30 Megabytes of RAM??

LOL

Of course you don't. Now you open up The Verge, Gizmodo, MacRumors front page and any page on YouTube and you'll get your reloading or most probably, your deserved crash, maybe because you only use your iPad for texting on MacRumors anyway.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Dude... You need see the fact...here...

Here is the RAM usages upon boot up with no application running beside this RAM monitoring app...

This is what RAM usage after four tabs opened

If you still think 1GB is enough and problem is not cause by lack of RAM...then I have absolutely nothing else to say...

I have used this program and observed similar results. It was pretty shocking actually.

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
WHAT four tabs? I just posted a pic with TEN tabs and its not reloading. So doesn't it MATTER what tabs you are loading?

What is the browser SUPPOSED to do when it runs out of RAM? Or is 2GB a magical number where there will never be a low memory situation again? :confused:

Already explained. PASS!!!!

lol

----------

I have used this program and observed similar results. It was pretty shocking actually.

There's not enough memory even to FLUSH OUT another open tab. God's sake... iOS has to unload it's basic features only to run another app. No way that can be fixed. It won't be fixed, unless they slowdown all apps, which they chose not to do. They chose to crash them and make the idiots believe that Jesus will come some day and save them.:D

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
WHAT four tabs? I just posted a pic with TEN tabs and its not reloading. So doesn't it MATTER what tabs you are loading?

What is the browser SUPPOSED to do when it runs out of RAM? Or is 2GB a magical number where there will never be a low memory situation again? :confused:

There is no "magical number" for any computer hardware specification. You try to pad it to be able to enjoy as long of a shelf life as possible until it becomes inevitably obsolete. It is just laughable that Apple didn't upgrade the RAM for the iPad Air since 2 product generations ago with the iPad 3.

I think of the situation like RAM being an apartment, and web pages, apps, and games being furniture. Apple is extremely good as organizing the furniture to fit within the confines of this comparatively small apartment (vs Google, MS, etc). However, furniture pieces are getting larger and larger and increasing in quantity. Apple does its best to organize things in a way that still make it livable but there will come a point when you really need to just suck it up and get a bigger apartment (RAM)! The initial cost would alleviate a lot of the organization headaches that come with trying to cram a lot of stuff within a tiny space.

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
There is no "magical number" for any computer hardware specification. You try to pad it to be able to enjoy as long of a shelf life as possible until it becomes inevitably obsolete. It is just laughable that Apple didn't upgrade the RAM for the iPad since 2 product generations ago with the iPad 3.

I think of the situation like RAM being an apartment, and web pages, apps, and games being furniture. Apple is extremely good as organizing the furniture to fit within the confines of this comparatively small apartment (vs Google, MS, etc). However, furniture pieces are getting larger and larger and increasing in quantity. Apple does its best to organize things in a way that still make it livable but there will come a point when you really need to just suck it up and get a bigger apartment (RAM)!

Great metaphor... But it won't work with him. Sorry :p

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
There is no "magical number" for any computer hardware specification. You try to pad it to be able to enjoy as long of a shelf life as possible until it becomes inevitably obsolete. It is just laughable that Apple didn't upgrade the RAM for the iPad since 2 product generations ago with the iPad 3.

I think of the situation like RAM being an apartment, and web pages, apps, and games being furniture. Apple is extremely good as organizing the furniture to fit within the confines of this comparatively small apartment (vs Google, MS, etc). However, furniture pieces are getting larger and larger and increasing in quantity. Apple does its best to organize things in a way that still make it livable but there will come a point when you really need to just suck it up and get a bigger apartment (RAM)!

That's an interesting analogy. I like it. There's nothing wrong with wanting a bigger apartment. But accusing the landlord of intentionally limiting your space and exploding your furniture because they are an evil and greedy landlord is a very childish, immature and nonsensical way of looking at it.

And I agree. Suck it up and get a bigger apartment. You may have to MOVE to get it.

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
I got a new apartment until Apple decides to improve what already should be improved.

I dumped my iPad Air for a Nexus 7 and I'm loving it. No crashes and no extreme reloading... It just works.

It only lacks a little processing power, but crashing apps and constant reloads are a lot worse for me.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
I got a new apartment until Apple decides to improve what already should be improved.

I dumped my iPad Air for a Nexus 7 and I'm loving it. No crashes and no extreme reloading... It just works.

Im considering doing that too, was in the store the other say playing with one. A device thats half the price....and well....it just works! How about that apple?

The fact the ipads are $500 and cant handle anything more than 1 browser with 1 tab is pathetic.

Right now the new ipads, youre paying for the logo. But im not a baller, so i couldnt care less about what brand tablet i have.

chamferedmind

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
Im considering doing that too, was in the store the other say playing with one. A device thats half the price....and well....it just works! How about that apple?

The fact the ipads are $500 and cant handle anything more than 1 browser with 1 tab is pathetic.

Right now the new ipads, youre paying for the logo. But im not a baller, so i couldnt care less about what brand tablet i have.

I couldn't agree more. I was fascinated by the iPad's beauty. But now it vanished, because I want a product that works.

----------

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1682530/

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Dude... You need see the fact...here...

So ios 7 is taking up 83% of RAM at boot up with nothing else running....that doesn't sound very good. Be interesting to compare this to other devices, surly apple couldn't have seriously left 17% of 1gb for every other app? How was that ever going to work out >.<

But hey, it looks nice until you touch it and it crashes!?

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
I couldn't agree more. I was fascinated by the iPad's beauty. But now it vanished, because I want a product that works.

----------

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1682530/

Sadly most who buy apple products cause everyone they know has one, so they want to be the cool kid in school, or the baller at the nightclub flashing ampnd dashing the apple logo. So its made of metal and is slim. Thats no good if the device has 1gb ram and can barely handle 2 tabs.

I jist picked up a nexus 7, finally will compare it to the rmini and see which ill keep. Out of the box, i can already say that this has much more value for your money than the air and mini combined.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I jist picked up a nexus 7, finally will compare it to the rmini and see which ill keep. Out of the box, i can already say that this has much more value for your money than the air and mini combined.

Not that you said it was, but nexus 7 isn't an alternative for an air IMO. Nexus 10 2 maybe but that seems like its never going to show lol

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
LOL! Ok. I guess that one flew right by you. Let me spell it out.

Low RAM should not result in a crash in a properly coded application. Error handling is programming 101. Be it 1 or 2 or 10GB of RAM, it will always eventually run out, and at that point the app is supposed to handle the condition a lot more gracefully. Unless of course there's a bug in the software.

And since you are such an expert on 64 bit memory management, can you care to explain how memory compression works in this case? I'd be fascinated to hear your explanation. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I don't know how many times i need to tells you this, because it does not sink in. On iOS low memory WILL cause your app to crash, no matter how much you error check. iOS WILL issue a kill to your app, it WILL die where ever is currently is executing. It does NOT get ANY say in it. There is NO bugs involved in this process, it is how it works.

Linux does exactly the same, when free RAM reaches critically low, it selects a process and kills it to free ram. Unless you tinker with the oom-killer defaults, in practice this means that memory allocation through malloc() will never fail.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
:rolleyes: I don't know how many times i need to tells you this, because it does not sink in....

Unless you are a member of the Apple Safari development team, I guess a few hundred more times will do.

Safari is not supposed to crash when it runs out of memory. It is supposed to reload tabs it kicks out. The app you are using at the moment takes precedence, and the others in the background get killed, yes. But not the one you are using at the time (i.e. app crash). So if I am running a game, and I switch to something else, the game will remain there for a while unless the memory is needed. If it isn't, I switch back the game at the spot I was in. If the memory is needed, the game is killed in the BACKGROUND and when I switch back to it, it reloads. NOT CRASH.

Crashing (unexpected quit of the app you are using) is not normal or expected behavior. It is the result of a bug in SOFTWARE. Whether you have 1GB or 5GB, you should always expect the software to behave this way once that FINITE resource called RAM is exhausted.

People here like to hear (read) themselves type claiming this is due to the 1GB of RAM because they read a review somewhere about 64 bit or because this Android tablet or that other tablet has 2GB. Whatever. I expect my apps NOT to crash even with 512MB of RAM, as was the case with previous gen iPads.

So repeating the "1GB is not enough" complaint doesn't make it true. Repeat it as often as you want. It doesn't change the fact that your iPad needs to work with 1GB, because that's all it has. Unless you plan on cracking it open and soldering another GB of RAM in there, or holding out another year for MAYBE another GB of RAM, you better hope Apple fixes it in SOFTWARE.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Unless you are a member of the Apple Safari development team, I guess a few hundred more times will do.

Safari is not supposed to crash when it runs out of memory. It is supposed to reload tabs it kicks out. The app you are using at the moment takes precedence, and the others in the background get killed, yes. But not the one you are using at the time (i.e. app crash). So if I am running a game, and I switch to something else, the game will remain there for a while unless the memory is needed. If it isn't, I switch back the game at the spot I was in. If the memory is needed, the game is killed in the BACKGROUND and when I switch back to it, it reloads. NOT CRASH.

Crashing (unexpected quit of the app you are using) is not normal or expected behavior. It is the result of a bug in SOFTWARE. Whether you have 1GB or 5GB, you should always expect the software to behave this way once that FINITE resource called RAM is exhausted.

People here like to hear (read) themselves type claiming this is due to the 1GB of RAM because they read a review somewhere about 64 bit or because this Android tablet or that other tablet has 2GB. Whatever. I expect my apps NOT to crash even with 512MB of RAM, as was the case with previous gen iPads.

So repeating the "1GB is not enough" complaint doesn't make it true. Repeat it as often as you want. It doesn't change the fact that your iPad needs to work with 1GB, because that's all it has. Unless you plan on cracking it open and soldering another GB of RAM in there, or holding out another year for MAYBE another GB of RAM, you better hope Apple fixes it in SOFTWARE.

I really don't think you even trying to listen. Low memory crash isn't so new. All your assumption is build upon that killing all application in backgroud will make enough RAM for Safari.

Let me ask you one thing: when iOS freed all memory it possible can but Safari still takes all these memory, what happens next? iOS itself takes 80% of 512MB on my iPad mini, what happen when there is no memory could possibley freed?

Here is the quote from Apple's document:

Low memory reports differ from other crash reports in that there are no stack traces in this type of reports. When a low memory crash happens, you must investigate your memory usage patterns and your responses to low memory warnings. This document points to you several memory management references that you might find useful.

When a low-memory condition is detected, the virtual memory system in iOS relies on the cooperation of applications to release memory. Low-memory notifications are sent to all running applications and processes as a request to free up memory, hoping to reduce the amount of memory in use. If memory pressure still exists, the system may terminate background processes to ease memory pressure. If enough memory can be freed up, your application will continue to run and no crash report will be generated. If not, your application will be terminated by iOS because there isn't enough memory to satisfy the application's demands, and a low memory report will be generated and stored on the device.

Yes, iOS will kill all backgroud app and process to free up memory HOPING enough memory could freed for forground application. When there is truely no enough RAM avilable after freeing all possible RAM, iOS will terminate the forground app.

Yes, any app will crash when there is no RAM left and only way to do so is incrase amount of RAM in future product. Putting 1GB of memory is bad move.

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
...Let me ask you one thing: when iOS freed all memory it possible can but Safari still takes all these memory, what happens next? iOS itself takes 80% of 512MB on my iPad mini, what happen when there is no memory could possibley freed?...

You are asking what would happen if Safari was the only app running and it couldn't even open up a single tab because it required too much memory?

Ummmmmmm, I have no idea.

Even under those very unlikely circumstances I would not expect it to crash. App crashes are not normal behavior, and I doubt any programmer (especially Apple) intends their apps to crash. Sorry, I will not accept that premise.

In that case where Safari is attempting to load a single tab, and it is the only app running, and there is not enough memory to load that single page (that's a lot of ifs) I would expect Safari to either partially load what it can or not load the page at all. Not crash.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Yes, any app will crash when there is no RAM left and only way to do so is incrase amount of RAM in future product. Putting 1GB of memory is bad move.

If they were happy to put 1gb of RAM in, I'm surprised they didn't bring back the tab limit. I think it would probably be better if when the memory starts to get low that they start killing off tabs as well apps, even if that's annoying anything is better than crashing completely no?

Whether or not there is anything that can be done to 64 bit safari we will have to see, but...surly they can do something about ios 7 taking up 80-85% of the devices RAM? Even if its just an option to turn down the eye-candy somehow lol. That's probably as close to 'adding more RAM' as you can get with Apple...

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
You are asking what would happen if Safari was the only app running and it couldn't even open up a single tab because it required too much memory?

Ummmmmmm, I have no idea.

Even under those very unlikely circumstances I would not expect it to crash. App crashes are not normal behavior, and I doubt any programmer (especially Apple) intends their apps to crash. Sorry, I will not accept that premise.

In that case where Safari is attempting to load a single tab, and it is the only app running, and there is not enough memory to load that single page (that's a lot of ifs) I would expect Safari to either partially load what it can or not load the page at all. Not crash.

Safari is unlikely to crash with no other app open and only one tab open. BUT...when you start loading media rich website full of pictures and video content, then you starting consume more and more RAMs...

Apple is not intends their apps to crash. No one is arguing this. But Apple should know 1GB isn't sufficient by now days and low memory crash is just the by-product of this.

You should start to see the big pictures...

I am done with arguing whether 1GB is enough or not... Let's wait and see when Apple brings 2GB of memory. By then what you gonna say?

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
2gb not enough NEED MOAR. Not buying it till 4gb RAM?

This depends on what Apple do... RAM is dirt cheap now, adding 4GB of memory isn't gonna adding much more cost. That only apply when RAM is packaged outside of main SoC... and yes, if it is soldered outside of the SoC, it is possible to change RAM package. If Apple continue to putting memory underneath of SoC, then Apple need to decide amount of RAM during design process

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I wouldn't bother with ZBoater much... his passive-agressive trolling wants to provoke answers which he tries to learn something from, but he lacks the dignity to recognize, learn, be humble and move on.

No, no, no, no. It's 100% apple defense mode 100% of the time. I suggest everyone employ the ignore list. It's gone a LONG way towards me enjoying this place again.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

Number 101

Low Memory Termination

When subclassing UIViewController, you may have noticed the didReceiveMemoryWarning method.

Any app that is running in the foreground has the highest priority in terms of accessing and using memory. However, that does not mean the app gets all the available memory on the device – each app gets a portion of the available memory.

When total memory consumption hits a certain level, the OS sends out a UIApplicationDidReceiveMemoryWarningNotification notification. At the same time, didReceiveMemoryWarning is invoked for the app.

At this point, so that your app continues to run properly, the OS begins terminating apps in the background to free some memory. Once all background apps are terminated, if your app still needs more memory, the OS terminates your app and generates a crash log.

The OS does not generate a crash log for the background apps that were terminated under this circumstance. So if you see a low memory crash log, it killed your FRONT app due to LOW MEMORY.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
So you are saying that if Safari runs out of memory while browsing it is SUPPOSED to crash?

Ummmmm, ok. :rolleyes:

Yes why doesn't that make sense?

It only does it after its killed every other app off though. I can get any of my iOS devices to crash safari 100% of the time by opening a tab with a video in it (no external player). It will crash everytime after 2-5 minutes (i.e. RAM has reached max, nothing left to kill so it kills safari). iOS is programmed to kill apps when it reaches max RAM, and if its the only thing open then it will kill it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.