Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
Of course, the difference is that no one seriously thinks that Apple products are "100% perfect". The only people using those words are angry straw-man argument wielders on tech comment sections, from what I've seen. Now, people may think Apple's products are "better"- which is completely different than claiming they are "perfect".

There are people here who do, in fact, get more than a little uptight if you criticize an Apple product in any way. It's not everybody obviously, but there is a core contingent.

Course they may just be straw-manners lying in wait. Who knows.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
CR is so.. 90s.. oh wait.. what is CR?

Where do you even read them? lol

NObody reads them.. so.. yeah

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
They ticked the iPhone 4S down because it didn't have a crappy 3D camera? I'd rather have the iPhone 4S's camera which actually has decent low light capabilities and color saturation than a junk 3D camera. Why are they enabling useless gimmick creep?

Bacco

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
NYC
A technical person, I'm not. So when I see that my phone indicates "No Service" yet I'm able to make and receive calls...seems strange.

So for all you techies out there, this is an ATT issue, right?

Attachments

• No Service.PNG
    No Service.PNG
    694 KB · Views: 76

mudman2

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
Dont you just want to meet the arsehole at CR to see if he is indeed just a power happy dick

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
And it seems Apple didn't need to fix the antenna... oh wait. :rolleyes:

Quite happy with my iPhone 4S' reception and its lack of a death touch.

+1 (although you are in the negatives, mon concitoyen)

Wow... objectivity gets voted down... I know I shouldn't be surprised, though...

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
A technical person, I'm not. So when I see that my phone indicates "No Service" yet I'm able to make and receive calls...seems strange.

So for all you techies out there, this is an ATT issue, right?

This is a know issue for those who jailbreak an iphone 4 and retain the 1.59 baseband for unlocking. Do you fall in that category by any chance. Nothing to do with ATT.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
So, can you do this in the forums:

1) Post "Apple is great"..
2) Get a gazillion plus votes
3) Edit your message to "Android is great" (not saying it is or isn't, just an example).
4) See "Android is great with a gazillion" plus votes?

:-D

Bacco

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
NYC
This is a know issue for those who jailbreak an iphone 4 and retain the 1.59 baseband for unlocking. Do you fall in that category by any chance. Nothing to do with ATT.

No nebo1ss...never jailbroke any of my phones. It's a stock ATT phone. First noticed it yesterday and it happened again today. It'll stay with the no service notification until I turn airplane mode on then back to off.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Don't worry, it's just people jealous they couldn't get an iPhone 4S on launch day like I did. :D

Nah, I'm still content with my 3GS. Might upgrade to 4S in the near future, but not hurry. I've grown up and happily left my "gotta have it right ****ing now" phase behind.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Swapping the terrible antenna issues for battery and call quality issues. Good job Apple!

bcatic

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
"And iPhone 4s is a world phone, so you can use it almost anywhere". So it's almost a world phone, no? Man, I love marketing. That's the career I'll choose in the next life :apple:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
As for "Antennagate" - I would say that some people feel it was overblown. But for those experiencing the issue and then being told it wasn't an issue (in essence being not only ignored when bringing it to their attention - but then just about chastised by Apple and this board for insinuating that there was a problem) it was hardly overblown.

It was objectively overblown. It was national news for weeks. It was an antenna problem on a mobile phone that had so little impact that demand for the phone exceeded supply for almost a year. At the same time, the same antenna actually improved reception for most users over the previous version.

As far as being "chastised by Apple", you are projecting. As far as people on this board denying the actual problem, some posters are irrational, but there is not reason to insinuate that their opinions justify anything or are representative of a larger group.

And without the vocal minority(?) on this issue - there might not have been ANY antenna changes in the 4S. And from what I understand - people are experiencing a much better experience. So overblown or not - it took that much to have Apple go back to the drawing board.

If no one complained - or it was left to Steve's emails "just hold it different" - there might not have been any changes with the 4s.

Once again, correlation does not imply causation.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I think it's more "Apple figured out how to make it work".

iPhone4 just worked like 99% of phones, they drop a little signal if you cover the antenna, happened and test with like 30 phones at the time of the "antenna gate". Just a anti apple marketing. Now that iPhone 4S is one of the few phones to switch antennas on the go, haters and troll can say that indeed was a problem..... Get a life.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
iPhone4 just worked like 99% of phones, they drop a little signal if you cover the antenna, happened and test with like 30 phones at the time of the "antenna gate". Just a anti apple marketing. Now that iPhone 4S is one of the few phones to switch antennas on the go, haters and troll can say that indeed was a problem..... Get a life.

Oh look, someone else who doesn't understand the actual issue. ;) At least we know Steve's deflection worked. A lot of people are now confused about the actual issue.

jpthebean

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
I hope customer reviews don't replace professional reviews, and I don't see it happening, especially in electronics. If I'm a mom and I want to know if my kids will like a video, it's good to know what other mom's think. But if I'm me and I'm looking for a new TV, I want to see what a reviewer that I respect has to say about it. Joe Shmo who can't see the difference between SD and HD isn't going to be helpful.

Of course Joe Shmo isn't going to know, but when you read Joe Shmo's review and then the next 20 or so reviews you get a very clear picture of how the product performs in the real world. Professional reviewers may be more savvy than your average consumer but they also only offer a very narrow viewpoint and opinion. Also, by definition, professional reviewers are getting paid for their opinions. The money to pay them usually comes from a variety of manufacturers and retailers, some of whom are responsible for the products they are reviewing. Therefore, professional reviewers are never %100 objective and occasionally they are completely paid off.

I'll take the collective opinions of a bunch of non-solicited Joe Shmos over one bought and paid for "professional" reviewer any day. This includes the reviewers at CR. They aren't some sort of not-for-profit watchdog organization. So they are no more credible than any other subscription based publication.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I think Consumer Reports was justified in not recommending the iPhone 4 because of the antenna problem, it was a silly thing Apple should have fixed before it went into production.

Anyway, that's so 2010. iPhone 4S is a great phone for those that like iPhones :)

Bummer that people downrated you. I think the 4 truly had a fundamental issue. I mean, the guy in charge was literally drummed out of Apple for it. They did fix it, but pretending it wasn't noticed would be naive. That said, it's over now.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota

Honestly I had no idea the antenna issue existed when I got my iPhone 4, nor had I run into any signal issues in my use. I didn't end up finding out about the issue until I read articles on tech blogs on the phone a couple weeks after receiving mine.

I agree that there is an issue with the design, but I don't agree with the attitude of some that it effects everyone whether "they like it or not".

Despite it's flaws, I love my iPhone 4, and am glad to see the design was carried over, with updates to address them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.