Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan8302

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
So here it goes, after my first successful mod, I am thinking about my next one and I think it would be cool to put a Mac mini into a old Macintosh classic case with a LCD screen replacing the stock monitor. This is not an original idea, I have seen people talk about it, but no one actually do it. I think I can come up with the money to buy all the materials, don't worry I will not be cannibalizing a working classic, but I don't need another computer in my dorm room (I have 5 don't ask). So here is the question, do you think anyone would buy it if I built one and say put it up on eBay? I more want to do it for the fun of the build. What do you think?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Dan8302 said:
So here it goes, after my first successful mod, I am thinking about my next one and I think it would be cool to put a Mac mini into a old Macintosh classic case with a LCD screen replacing the stock monitor. This is not an original idea, I have seen people talk about it, but no one actually do it. I think I can come up with the money to buy all the materials, don't worry I will not be cannibalizing a working classic, but I don't need another computer in my dorm room (I have 5 don't ask). So here is the question, do you think anyone would buy it if I built one and say put it up on eBay? I more want to do it for the fun of the build. What do you think?
Um, I wouldn't want to sell it. Its something you do to show off, but it would be a cool mod if you can do it.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Dan8302 said:

What kind of screen were you looking at getting? brand? size? More just curiosity than anything. I was interested when someone else was going to try, but I don't think it went anywhere. I think it's a cool idea.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Well, if you are mainly doing the project just for the fun of doing it, I wouldn't worry about trying to get any money for it on eBay. I doubt it would sell for very much--less than the mini is worth anyway. But that won't make it any less fun to do :)

How well are you planning on integrating it into the case? Will you provide ports for USB and Firewire, the slot-loading drive, etc?

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
I am of two minds about your mod... I love Classics, and the Mac Minis are so damn cute... It would be great for the cool factor and challenge, but not very useable due to the small screen size. Although, what am I talking about? I used to layout my Jr HS newspaper on one... that was sweet. Good 'ol Aldus PageMaker. As another poster asked, what kind of screen would you use?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
that could be a cool mod, i would love to see it, but i dont know how much you could expect to get from it

Dan8302

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
the monitor problem

Well i guess i was just wishfull thinking that there would be a 9" LCD screen out there, maby even on sale. But no such luck, the only ones i have been able to find that get close to the demensions of the original display are pos (point of sale... cash register) screen that run close to $500. I did findThis website that i think measures its screen in the non diagonal fassion and say it is 5.6in wide, which would make it close to the right size, i have an email in to them to find out specifics. other options include 9" crt displays which are available becuase it is the standard size i guess for like tv studios, but those are uber expensive. so at this point... i don't know any sugestions?

Dan8302

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
Well, it doesn't look like this is going to happen. The last screen I thought might have a chance doesn't :( so at this point the project is on hold until I can find a sutible monitor to install. I did have the thought of maby buying one of those small tvs with the built in VCR and putting a mini in there, painting the case beige... but it's just not the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.