Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cordless_Drill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Montgomery, Ala., USA
I work for a newspaper. I submit my stories in text form via modem into a hideously outdated server at the newspaper office.

I've been limited to OS 9 all this time because the only app my IT aces could handle was MicroPhone Pro, which is incompatible with OS X.

I need to go to X now. Since my paper's IT aces are not helping, I've got to figure this out on my own. How hard can it be to send text?

They say the problem is with the modem. Stock Apple modems -- and a Global Village USB modem I provided them -- allegedly transmit data at the maximum rate in all cases. Our system can handle data only at a certain rate, which is far below these modems' max. We're talking 2 bits/sec. Something like that.

Does anyone have some ideas on how I should proceed? Apps? Modems?

They suggested that I buy a Wintel machine.

I laughed.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Cordless_Drill said:
I work for a newspaper. I submit my stories in text form via modem into a hideously outdated server at the newspaper office.

I've been limited to OS 9 all this time because the only app my IT aces could handle was MicroPhone Pro, which is incompatible with OS X.

I need to go to X now. Since my paper's IT aces are not helping, I've got to figure this out on my own. How hard can it be to send text?

They say the problem is with the modem. Stock Apple modems -- and a Global Village USB modem I provided them -- allegedly transmit data at the maximum rate in all cases. Our system can handle data only at a certain rate, which is far below these modems' max. We're talking 2 bits/sec. Something like that.

Does anyone have some ideas on how I should proceed? Apps? Modems?

They suggested that I buy a Wintel machine.

I laughed.
First off, if your newspaper uses modems to communicate with reporters, then there is no way that they can distinguish one computer from another. You are communicating in ASCII text. ASCII text is ASCII text. Your computer is irrelevant as far as the server is concerned. As for transmission speed, it is a lot faster than 2 bits/sec. Even 20 years ago, a 300 bps modem was considered slow. Virtually every decent modem adjusts its speed to the communication speed on the other end of the line. If you are send binary files, you may have several protocols to chose from. Some are dog slow, whereas others a quite fast (considering). You are usually given a choice when you login. If not, ask your IT people for their fastest protocol.

What you need is a MacOS X-native terminal emulation program. It may be possible to use the MacOS X Terminal to communicate via modem. I don't know how to do that. However, there is a MacOS X version of Zterm. Search VersionTracker and MacUpdate for it. You may also do a Google search.

Since you are a professional you may want to invest in a commercial application. MacWise is available for $95 from Carnation Software.

Your fundamental problem is not your Mac. It really boils down to the fact that very few people communicate via dial-up anymore, except to get on the Internet. Therefore terminal emulation is passé. You will have to do a little work to do it under MacOS X, but you can do it.

Cordless_Drill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Montgomery, Ala., USA
I'm sure my estimation of 2 bits per second was low, but we are talking about an interface that legitimately may be 20+ years old. Or older.

I'll try to gather more technical information and report back. Perhaps at that point, my situation will make more sense to those of your who have a clue about this stuff. I sure don't. But I'll get a clue.

Using a Wintel machine is NOT AN OPTION.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.