Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Might want to check out the following apps: Assistant, battery alarm, beautiful widgets, file manager, dr. Web anti-virus, g-tunes music downloader prov2, k-9 mail (best email app i have found), mx player (vid payer), NoLED aNd NoLED weather (visual notifications when phone is off and in standby), speedometer for navigator free (gives speed on google maps), svox (changes the audio voice from that lame robot voice to regular voices), widgetlocker lockscreen and zedge ringtones and wLlpapers.

Great! Thanks

Mr. Incredible

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Southern California
Decided to give Android one more try but on a different network other than Sprint. Picked up a Droid Razr Maxx on Verizon. I actually like the stock UI. First Android phone I didn't immediately download a launcher to run over it. Verizon's LTE is insanely fast, way faster than Sprint's 4G and even my cable internet in the house which doesn't say much for Time Warner's internet service. The phone itself is the fastest Android I have had, like zero lag with anything. If the battery life is as good as advertised, it might be a keeper. Just wish it ran ICS. We'll see.

After all the bashing and name calling you said to me, you got an Android?

Last edited by a moderator:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
BTW, I adore the notification light on the GN. I don't believe this is something Apple would ever employ, which is a shame. It is monstrously helpful.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Decided to give Android one more try but on a different network other than Sprint. Picked up a Droid Razr Maxx on Verizon. I actually like the stock UI. First Android phone I didn't immediately download a launcher to run over it. Verizon's LTE is insanely fast, way faster than Sprint's 4G and even my cable internet in the house which doesn't say much for Time Warner's internet service. The phone itself is the fastest Android I have had, like zero lag with anything. If the battery life is as good as advertised, it might be a keeper. Just wish it ran ICS. We'll see.

Heard that 3k mAh battery is no joke on the razr maxx. Still happy with my Galaxy Note though.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
BTW, I adore the notification light on the GN. I don't believe this is something Apple would ever employ, which is a shame. It is monstrously helpful.
x2. The Android notification light is an excellent feature, especially since I keep my phone in No Sound/Vibrate mode 24/7. If I have a blinking green light I know I have a missed call/voicemail. If I have a blinking blue light I know I have a text. If I have a white light I know I have a WhatsApp message. Blinking red light means low battery. Great, great feature.

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Southern California
x2. The Android notification light is an excellent feature, especially since I keep my phone in No Sound/Vibrate mode 24/7. If I have a blinking green light I know I have a missed call/voicemail. If I have a blinking blue light I know I have a text. If I have a white light I know I have a WhatsApp message. Great, great feature.

I have the light notification also, but it's always green, how are you able to change the colors?

Is this only for the Nexus, or can you change the colors for the notification on any Android phone?

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I have the light notification also, but it's always green, how are you able to change the colors?

Is this only for the Nexus, or can you change the colors for the notification on any Android phone?
I use Handcent SMS for texts and it allows you to customize the notification light color to anything you want. WhatsApp has a setting allowing you to customize the light color as well.

It works on any Android phone with a notification light (which I'm pretty sure all do at this point)

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
I use Handcent SMS for texts and it allows you to customize the notification light color to anything you want. WhatsApp has a setting allowing you to customize the light color as well.

It works on any Android phone with a notification light (which I'm pretty sure all do at this point)

And for those Android users without a colorful LED light notifier, there is the NoLED app. Different colored icons on the screen in sleep mode to notify you of sms, email, etc...

P.S. Not all new Android phones have the light. S2 Skyrocket for example.

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I have the Razr Maxx as well and I have the different colored LED lights without even setting it up. Pretty sure they are all defaulted to a certain color. As someone else mentioned earlier, its an awesome phone. My 4s has taken a back seat.

freespeed

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
San Diego, CA
I'm using an android right now, but not by choice. After I upgraded to 5.1 my SIM was invalid. I had a Samsung Galaxy S II sitting around so I'm using that now. Kind of nice actually, with 4G capabilities and everything. Now I just need to figure out how to sync everything on my mac. I guess I also have something called the Ice Cream Sanwhich OS, which seems to be a big deal, but I wouldn't know.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
I have to say that for typing emails and texts with the BB blows them all away i cant believe i am saying it but in reality the BB is great for a person who is a heavy email user.

I agree with your comments about the Blackberry. There is a place for a physical keyboard especially for those who handle a heavy amount of emails and texts.

In addition to my 4s I also use a Blackberry Bold 9900. I only use it for email and text when I'm in situations where it's not appropriate to use Siri. Because of the amount of email I reply to on the go the Bold serves a important purpose in my workflow. I'm faster typing on the physical keyboard than I am on the iPhone or my iPad touchscreen.

I think a lot of people would appreciate an iPhone with cool, thin slide out keyboard.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
I think a lot of people would appreciate an iPhone with cool, thin slide out keyboard.

already exists and has for a while.

boxware-iphone-4-keyboard.jpg

Peewhy

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2012
I ended up switching to an Android because of the company/plan attached to it. I really enjoy my phone and don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
I almost made the switch to an Android phone about a month ago. Before I did I thought long and hard about what I love about my iPhone 4 and iOS. Honestly I absolutely love the simplicity of iOS. Now I'm not saying it is not stale and boring, but I love the simplicity of it. Plus I seem to be one of the only ones using Spotlight on iOS. I wonder if any of y'all understand how powerful it is. I can find ANYTHING I need to on my iPhone just about by using spotlight. Honestly I've "raced" a few people on other phones on finding information or opening up apps that aren't used all the time. I simply slide to the left type in a few letters, and 99% of the time what I need or looking for already pops up.

What really kept me from making the switch is two things though. My Apps and how stable iOS is.

I simply do not want to have to look for the same App on the Android Marketplace and buy it again or something.

Next iOS is just extremely stable. I'm not saying Android isn't as it is and I've used Android many times before (not not just for a few minutes, a straight week only Android) and it is nice to use, but I always found myself wanting my iPhone back. Time last time my phone restarted was when I updated software. The last time before that? Software update. I simply NEVER have to restart my iPhone or even think about restarting it. It simply runs just as fast as they day I took it out of the box. I never have to worry about it.

Oh I forgot one thing. Apples LEGENDARY customer service. My iPhones screen ended up getting some kind of weird dead pixels. I made an appointment at the genius bar and I was in and out with a replacement iPhone free of charge, no questions asked. Not to mention when I walked out of the store with a replacement iPhone I had all my data back on my iPhone like I never switched phones through the power of an iCloud backup. In my opinion it is impossible to beat that.

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Sold my 4s today. I have the Razr Maxx, so i guess I have fully converted to Android for a phone. There were just too many things I could do easier with Android than iOS and the 4s still has some good resale value. Got it for $99, sold it for $500, not bad. Still have and love my new iPad though, that will keep my iOS needs alive :)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Lol true. Neither are bad either. Probably trolling under a different username.

more than likely that is the safe bet. I would not be surprised if he has had multiple accounts banned. That or the banned causing post were deleted.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That doesnt exist. At least they dont come that way. You have to buy that seperate which makes the phone thicker and costs $75. I personally dont like a physical keyboard. They wear out and get flimsy.

I am actually surprised with how well my girlfriends og droid keyboard has held up. It feels brand new. If motorola can do it the apple should be able too. I do agree though I don't particularly care for them either.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
That doesnt exist. At least they dont come that way. You have to buy that seperate which makes the phone thicker and costs $75. I personally dont like a physical keyboard. They wear out and get flimsy.

I never said it came with it, I said it does exist, which in fact it does. Anyone can buy one.
Nor was I responding to you. I was responding to Entatirg, who wasn't aware that you could get a physical keyboard for the iPhone. i don't care for them, or even like them, but I didn't need to put that in my original response, nor did you, in yours. Just makes you sound bitter.
BTW, have you ever owned one of these keyboards for the iPhone? If not, your opinion of them holds little merit... imo.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.