Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NoahArkEnstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
I bought a Brother Bluetooth printer and returned it because it was awful (I mean it was really, Really, bad at wireless printing). But my old HP printer (over a decade old) still works wonderfully (I think it’s a 1006 —not wireless). I’m wondering if it’s possible to plug a USB Bluetooth adapter (the little thumb drive sized adapters used for wireless keyboards and other devices) into a the back, so we can use it as a wireless printer. I would plug the Bluetooth adapter into a “USB Female to Printer Male Adapter” since the printer cable/input is a USB-B. Then, in theory, I’d pair to the BT adapter through my iPad or other Apple devices so I can print shipping labels from the other room (about 20’ away), without having to turn my computer on to print.

is it possible? Has anyone tried it? I was so disgusted with the wireless printer I returned that I really lost faith in Wireless Printers altogether!! It was so bad, and my early-21st century HP still prints like a champ.

I'm not picky about BT 4, 5, 5.2 whatever… I just want it to work so I can fulfill my wife’s dream of having a wireless printer that works! Lol:)

Thank you for reading this and thank you for any help you might have to offer. It’s very appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: scouser75

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
You cannot just plug in a Bluetooth adapter into a printer and expect it to work. The adapter would need to act as a print server, and I've never seen such a thing that does this over Bluetooth. Plus, Bluetooth has a really short range, which may be why you had an awful experience with the Brother printer.

There are adapters (like this one) that do it over Wi-Fi, but they typically don't support iOS/iPadOS/AirPrint. StarTech did have an AirPrint Server version, but discontinued it. In either case, you would also have to check to make sure your printer would work with one of these devices.

Personally, I would just get a new Wi-Fi printer that supports AirPrint. I've never had any issues printing to my wireless/AirPrint HP printers. Stay away from Bluetooth printers.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoahArkEnstein

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
For me, Airprint isn't important as I don't print from iPhones or iPads.

There are routers that have USB ports and some of those have firmware that will act as a print server for a USB-connected printer…which is basically what the Startech device iStorm linked to is doing. You might find a cheaper one than that. It's one of those evolving internet searches where the answers change over time.

Anyway, it's not really a cutting edge thing and you might be able to do it with a cheap, used router.

Reactions: NoahArkEnstein

NoahArkEnstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
You cannot just plug in a Bluetooth adapter into a printer and expect it to work. The adapter would need to act as a print server, and I've never seen such a thing that does this over Bluetooth. Plus, Bluetooth has a really short range, which may be why you had an awful experience with the Brother printer.

There are adapters (like this one) that do it over Wi-Fi, but they typically don't support iOS/iPadOS/AirPrint. StarTech did have an AirPrint Server version, but discontinued it. In either case, you would also have to check to make sure your printer would work with one of these devices.

Personally, I would just get a new Wi-Fi printer that supports AirPrint. I've never had any issues printing to my wireless/AirPrint HP printers. Stay away from Bluetooth printers.
Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I had a feeling this was the case… I would definitely try another HP printer. What model do you have?

When I searched for BT Printers it seemed like Brother was dominating the market as 90% of what came up was Brother printers. The problem wasn’t the range. It kept losing the connection to the desktop compute (a Mac) which was literally 2 ft away. The Linksys router was 10 ft away, in the same room. And it would just lose the connectio. I went through all the settings on the printer as well, entering the router password and code from the bottom of the router, etc… Just not a good experience. But keep in mind this was a cheap Brother printer (~$120) so maybe they have better stuff if you double down.

NoahArkEnstein

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024

There are routers that have USB ports and some of those have firmware that will act as a print server for a USB-connected printer…which is basically what the Startech device iStorm linked to is doing. You might find a cheaper one than that. It's one of those evolving internet searches where the answers change over time.

Anyway, it's not really a cutting edge thing and you might be able to do it with a cheap, used router.
Evolving, yes… Thanks for your input and feel free to resurrect this thread if you ever find the perfect printer server :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Yes, buy an older router on eBay. I'd use and older Asus routers as their older routers use the newest software, you will get updates.

But maybe you already have some unused equipment, or already have a router that has USB

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012

Yes, buy an older router on eBay. I'd use and older Asus routers as their older routers use the newest software, you will get updates.

But maybe you already have some unused equipment, or already have a router that has USB
This won't work either...at least not from an iPad like the OP mentioned. It may work for PCs and Macs as a network printer; but to print from iOS/iPadOS, you need an AirPrint-enabled printer. Even Apple's old AirPort routers had a USB port for a printer, but you still could not print to it from an iPhone or iPad.

I would definitely try another HP printer. What model do you have?
Most new printers support Wi-Fi and AirPrint these days, so it really doesn't matter what you get. The one I have is the HP ENVY 6055e.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
It kept losing the connection to the desktop compute (a Mac) which was literally 2 ft away.

If it was that close why not just hardwire it? Brother printers are frequently mentioned on this site as being the most reliable. I only got rid of my B&W laser after maybe a decade of use without problems because I needed a scanner. I have purchased multiple inexpensive inkjet printers which eventually failed and had to be replaced. Learned my lesson and now buy low end business laser printers (currently an HP Laser jet Pro) and have never had any problems after years of use. Don't do that much printing though.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
But my old HP printer (over a decade old) still works wonderfully (I think it’s a 1006 —not wireless).
I had an HP DeskJet F4180 for longer than I can recall — Amazon states it’s a two decades old model (“Date First Available: April 2, 2004) — and was mostly forced to upgrade because.. Well… HP no longer manufactures the model ink cartridges it used.

After my usual extensive shopping research, I (too) realized a laser printer was the way to go, and Brother was an acclaimed brand.
Brother printers are frequently mentioned on this site as being the most reliable. I only got rid of my B&W laser after maybe a decade of use without problems because I needed a scanner. I have purchased multiple inexpensive inkjet printers which eventually failed and had to be replaced. Learned my lesson and now buy low end business laser printers (currently an HP Laser jet Pro) and have never had any problems after years of use. Don't do that much printing though.

Initially, I leaned towards models such at the HL-L3280CDW so that I still could have color printing, plus automatic duplex and AirPrint — which has been working flawlessly and was easy to setup. However, after some objective contemplation and speaking with an associate at Office Depot, I realized, for me, the HL-L2305W would be plenty. Apparently, that model has been superseded by HL-L2405W, which is still near the $100 USD mark.

Basically:

• If you want wireless, AirPrint/Wi-Fi is the way to go (as also pointed out by others).
• Good laser printers have become affordable (at least in the U.S.).

Reactions: Chuckeee

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
If the printer is hardwired to the network and you have a WiFi network router then everyone who has access to the network can access the printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.