Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UnitedRed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
is there any way I can convert some flash files so that I can be able to put them on my phone and watch as videos?

I've tried ffmpeg, isquint, SoX Wrap but none worked

Also what is the best type of file for watching videos on a phone? mp4?

thanks

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I also have some .swf files I'd like to convert to movies for use in Front Row. From what little research I've done on the subject, there aren't any easy solutions to this, largely because of Adobe's licensing restrictions. There is an open-source Flash player available called Gnash, but I'm not sure if it can convert Flash files into other formats, and its Flash support isn't perfect.

QuickTime Pro can convert Flash 5 and below into movies, but this support was never extended beyond Flash 5.

maybe you're looking the wrong way to the problem.
if your phone can play video, i wouldn't be surprise if you could find a flash player for it.
I remember a friend of mine having a flash player on his Nokia phone and that was already few years back
maybe even from adobe web site??

bozigle

UnitedRed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I just looked into that gnash but couldn't see anything about converting either.

As for the adobe site, I don't suppose you know what the program was called?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Snapz Pro would work for what I'm trying to do, at the very least. I think it might also work for the original poster's needs.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
you may want to try visualhub. That does a lot of different conversion
Just tried it on a sample of one of the files I'm trying to convert. No dice - it says in the log that the compressed SWF format is unsupported. :( Looks like I'll have to go the Snapz Pro X route.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
Just tried it on a sample of one of the files I'm trying to convert. No dice - it says in the log that the compressed SWF format is unsupported. :( Looks like I'll have to go the Snapz Pro X route.

Hey sorry about that. I usually use it for other formats, but thanks for letting us know that it doesn't work for swf. I notice that u can convert the fla format... do you by chance have that or i wonder if it only goes only goes from other formats to fla.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hey sorry about that. I usually use it for other formats, but thanks for letting us know that it doesn't work for swf. I notice that u can convert the fla format... do you by chance have that or i wonder if it only goes only goes from other formats to fla.
No, I don't have any FLA files, unfortunately. If I had those, the conversion job would be trivial.

UnitedRed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
tried that Snapz Pro and it converted the video no problem, but with no sound and the options wouldn't let me tick the sound bit

UnitedRed

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I downloaded that Sorenson program but can't figure out how to use it, what type of settings should I use?
everytime I try changing it to mp4 I keep getting a compression error message

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.