Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

18thTomorrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
The Alpha Quadrant
Hey Macrumors,
I'd like to tweak some system sounds, it's impossible to find any real great aiff sounds. Does anyone know of a good program or converter (preferably freeware) that I can use to convert my wavs to aiffs?

Thanks
Britt

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....in iTunes prefs, in the importing section, change the "import using" box to "aiff encoder" then import the .wav.....oh yeah!

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Yeah, but don't forget that after dragging into iTunes you also got to click "Covert to Aiff". Should be in the menus somewhere.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
7on said:
Yeah, but don't forget that after dragging into iTunes you also got to click "Covert to Aiff". Should be in the menus somewhere.

To clarify a bit more, if you change your import settings to Aiff, then ctrl+click on any song in your library, you can select convert to aiff. This 'convert to xxx' depends on what you have in the import setting..

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
abhishekit said:
To clarify a bit more, if you change your import settings to Aiff, then ctrl+click on any song in your library, you can select convert to aiff. This 'convert to xxx' depends on what you have in the import setting..
Once you've set iTunes to convert files to AIFF (using the AIFF encoder, in the Import tab), select the files in your library you want converted, then choose "Convert Selection to AIFF" in the Advanced menu.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
wrldwzrd89 said:
Once you've set iTunes to convert files to AIFF (using the AIFF encoder, in the Import tab), select the files in your library you want converted, then choose "Convert Selection to AIFF" in the Advanced menu.

Is there any way of doing that to your entire library without ending up with two of each song?

Thanks
Scot

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ScotRobson said:
Is there any way of doing that to your entire library without ending up with two of each song?

Thanks
Scot
No - stupid iTunes won't delete the originals automatically after you convert. You have to delete the old files yourself. It's HIGHLY annoying, and I wish Apple would include a convert and replace feature to solve this problem.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Someone correct me if I'm wrong . . . .but aren't Aiff and Wave exactly the same format?? I have always just changed the extensions on .wav to .aif to make them .aif and vise versa. Afterall, when you insert an audio CD into you Mac, the files will showup as Aiff, but the same CD in your PC will show as Wave.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
dvdh said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong . . . .but aren't Aiff and Wave exactly the same format?? I have always just changed the extensions on .wav to .aif to make them .aif and vise versa. Afterall, when you insert an audio CD into you Mac, the files will showup as Aiff, but the same CD in your PC will show as Wave.
No they aren't the same. WAV and AIFF are both raw audio formats, but the big difference between them is "byte order". Think of it this way - WAV is "backwards"; AIFF is "forwards".

Here's a more technical explanation:
PowerPC processors are big-endian (most significant byte first); Intel x86 processors are little-endian (least significant byte first). AIFF is like PowerPC - it's big-endian. WAV is like x86 - it's little-endian.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Cool . . . that means I learned something new today . . . thanks.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Quicktime Pro works for converting WAV to AIFF. It probably could be Applescripted to performing this task on entire directory. Then you can control if you want to delete the original and not have to mess with your iTunes library. I use iTunes to convert AIFF to MP3s/AAC.

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
BornAgainMac said:
Quicktime Pro works for converting WAV to AIFF. It probably could be Applescripted to performing this task on entire directory. Then you can control if you want to delete the original and not have to mess with your iTunes library. I use iTunes to convert AIFF to MP3s/AAC.

Yeah I see. All my music is in mp3 but i want to convert it all to either AAC or Apple lossless any suggestions which one to choose?

And how would i go about Applescripting quicktime pro to do that? It sounds good in theory.

Thanks
Scot

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
ScotRobson said:
Yeah I see. All my music is in mp3 but i want to convert it all to either AAC or Apple lossless any suggestions which one to choose?

And how would i go about Applescripting quicktime pro to do that? It sounds good in theory.

Thanks
Scot

In the case of converting from mp3 to AAC, you will actually lose some quality when converting, so I wouldn't recommend doing this.

In the case of converting from mp3 to lossless, you will take up more disk space, but playback might use less CPU. I wouldn't bother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.