Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
These 98 C temps are good enough for a couple of years while apple’s warranTy is still active, after that I don’t care what anybody says, 98 C temp on today‘s processor is not good and will definitely shorten its lifetime .

Have you ever wondered why Apple didn’t make a slightly taller case “slightly” for the mini and incorporate a fan as wide as the case ? A fan placed right underneath for perfect cooling temps never exceeding 50 C even on heavy loads …..you know why they didn’t do it ? ..cause they would last for ever.
Isn’t that called a Mac Studio?

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
I'm currently using a late 2014 2.8 ghz i5 , it not only gets very hot but the hd spins and makes a right racket even when it's sleeping !!

One of the many reasons I'm upgrading to a M2 pro asap

passeggero

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
My Mac mini fan connector is ripped off. Does anyone use only an external fan for Mac mini 2018 with removed an internal fan and without both the antenna plate and the bottom cover?

It's written on Svalt site, S/RxM cooling stands are the best for Mac Mini 2005-23+ no bottom.

But I'm afraid a strong airflow can blow or rip off anything else inside Mac mini. Svalt has several fans: G07, G09, G12, G14, B14 for their S/RxM cooling stands, and I don't know which one will be the best to substitute for the internal fan, especially to do long and intensive calculations. Maybe the best solution will be the fan which produce the CFM airflow at max RPM about the same as the internal Mac mini fan at maximum RPM.

What CFM airflow does the internal fan of Mac mini 2018 i7 produce at max RPM (about 4400 rpm ?), and what is its noise level at max RPM?

Last edited:

passeggero

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
Can anyone advise me what quiet cooling stand (not Svalt, please) can substitute the internal fan?

Last days I have tried to buy Svalt SxM overpriced cooling stand. They got money, then they wrote to me:
"Thank you for your order! I am reaching out to you because the fraud system flagged this order for fraud. Could you please answer the following questions,..." etc... I have answered on their questions. Then 3 of 6 their emails were not delivered to me at all. I wrote them several times. At last now I have got: "Your order has been canceled
Order #**** was canceled because of unforeseen circumstances and your payment has been voided."
Fortunately, I got my payment back.

But I still have a problem with my Mac mini, which has a non-repairable ripped fan connector. By the way, does anyone know how it's possible to run Mac mini without cooling stands and without internal fan? Always open bottom is not a solution, but I use it now.

Last edited:

passeggero

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2017
I would try replacing the internal. This CPU runs hot, even with liquid metal.
Perhaps, you mean to apply liquid metal between the CPU die and the integrated heat spreader (IHS) or to use liquid metal between CPU's IHS and cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: sauria
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.