Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Before posting I searched the archives but fond nothing on this.

When I copy files from my old iMac that was running OS9 to my new iMac running OSX10.4, a Finder.dat icon and a Resource.frk folder will show up for every folder I copied. Getting rid of them does not affect anything, but I have to do it manually and it gets boring. Is there a way/utility to get rid of these?

Second issue: files copied from OS9 into OSX loose their icons, some until they are opened in the prooper application in OSX, others loose all their identity...that is, they cannot be opened. For example; an excel file (even though it has the extension appended) cannot be opened in Excel running on OSX. Solutions?

TIA
Halcyon

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Halcyon said:

When I copy files from my old iMac that was running OS9 to my new iMac running OSX10.4, a Finder.dat icon and a Resource.frk folder will show up for every folder I copied. Getting rid of them does not affect anything, but I have to do it manually and it gets boring. Is there a way/utility to get rid of these?
IIRC, there is a utility which will do this for you. Search VersionTracker.com and MacUpdate.com.

Halcyon said:
Second issue: files copied from OS9 into OSX loose their icons, some until they are opened in the prooper application in OSX, others loose all their identity...that is, they cannot be opened. For example; an excel file (even though it has the extension appended) cannot be opened in Excel running on OSX. Solutions?

TIA
Halcyon
Only in rare cases do the lack of proper extensions prevent files from opening in their proper applications. Double-clicking may not automatically launch the proper the proper app, but extensionless files remain completely intact. If your files have extensions, you can associate them with a compatible application via the File/Get Info dialog. Choose the app (such as Excel) you want from the Opens With: popup menu. If the file does not have an extension, you may add one manually. Even if you don't add an extension, you may still open the file via the File/Open dialog box in your preferred app.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Thanks...I just searched versiontracker.com and macupdate.com, found many utilities but non specific to the problem. Maybe one of those utilities does the trick but downloading them one by one to try them is just too much :)

I did what you suggested (open the file from the application) but it just won't recognize it. Difficult to pin point the problem because it will be a aleatory thing; it will happen on some files from excel, or illustrator, or word but not on all of them...

Thanks for thew advice.

Halcyon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.