Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
I have a drawer that looks like this….. anyone have any tips for cord storage. I’ve seen plastic storage containers on Amazon. Any tips?

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    529.4 KB · Views: 85

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have a drawer that looks like this….. anyone have any tips for cord storage. I’ve seen plastic storage containers on Amazon. Any tips?
I use the Velcro straps that keep them in a figure of 8.
Unfortunately since Apple moved to USBC on their latest devices I have twice as many cables as I used to!

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
51257117_xxl3.jpg

This is what I use to keep my cables in check. Works great as you can cut them to your desired length.
I’d also recommend to unplug the cables from the chargers while in storage.

Lots of great chargers, headphones and cables in your drawer! Love it!

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
IMG_0487.png
IMG_0486.png

So I actually found these on Amazon. They are bead boxes, my idea is to put the cords in these in my drawer and label the boxes. I did get some Velcro straps to wrap the cords before putting them in the boxes. I think it should work good. Here’s an image from a review from Amazon.

• Wow
Reactions: Chuckeee

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
My cord ocd lol. This review with the labeled boxes looks really nice.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
IMG_0543.jpeg
Thought I would post back. It’s been a while lol. So the picture I had in my first post was in my nightstand in my bedroom. I decided to relocate most of the cords to a drawer in my file cabinet in my office. The rest of my nightstand was full of Apple boxes, cleaned out the ones I needed and actually made a place for my headphone and Apple Watch bands. So here’s the first pic, top drawer of my nightstand with my boxes, headphones, and watch bands.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
IMG_0542.jpeg
Here’s the bottom drawer of my nightstand. Pretty empty besides a belkin wireless charger, two 10 foot Lightning cables and one 6 foot Lightning cable.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
IMG_0541.jpeg
Now here is the file cabinet drawer in my office. I think it turned out pretty nice. I have a label maker that was not cooperating but got it to work. I had them all labeled and my label maker tape must be old because I then had to cut packaging tape to put over my labels as they kept falling off. Only thing I didn’t have a box for was my Mac charging cable and I have an Arlo camera box in my closet that has the charging cables for my cameras in it but I think they can stay in the camera box. Towards the back on the right side I have an external hard drive and the two cords on top of it to connect to my Mac. Next to that is two external batteries, on top of those is an hdmi cable along with a micro sd to sd card adapter. Way to the left my cd drive for my Mac which I never use now lol. On top of that an apple polishing cloth that came with my original 2013 MacBook Pro which I no longer have. On top of the cd drive, a 6 foot Mac extension cable and a 3.5 mm to 3.5mm extension cord. I think things turned out pretty nice. Sorry for the delay of posting my results lol.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
I would say all in all a success if anyone wants to know what I all used, hit me up. Feel a lot more organized now. Also in my boxes, I did wrap Velcro around each cord.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
View attachment 2363683 Now here is the file cabinet drawer in my office. I think it turned out pretty nice. I have a label maker that was not cooperating but got it to work. I had them all labeled and my label maker tape must be old because I then had to cut packaging tape to put over my labels as they kept falling off. Only thing I didn’t have a box for was my Mac charging cable and I have an Arlo camera box in my closet that has the charging cables for my cameras in it but I think they can stay in the camera box. Towards the back on the right side I have an external hard drive and the two cords on top of it to connect to my Mac. Next to that is two external batteries, on top of those is an hdmi cable along with a micro sd to sd card adapter. Way to the left my cd drive for my Mac which I never use now lol. On top of that an apple polishing cloth that came with my original 2013 MacBook Pro which I no longer have. On top of the cd drive, a 6 foot Mac extension cable and a 3.5 mm to 3.5mm extension cord. I think things turned out pretty nice. Sorry for the delay of posting my results lol.
I think that I admire and hate you at the same time. I’m envious, an impressive result.

• Haha
Reactions: rocketbuc

Moncler

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2024
Pegboards work for smaller and more delicate cables, but for longer/thicker cables some dedicated coffins will make life easier. Being on wheels makes it that much better so you can wheel the entire mass to where you're loading out and not make multiple trips back and forth when you inevitably have a Colombo moment and need "one more thing" and walk back across the shop for it.

Starting out we used some of the decent black and yellow storage tubs from home depot, but eventually graduated to larger (and more durable) road cases that we let live under the bottom shelf of our racks. Just pull out the case with the type of cable you need, scan it out for the manifest, wheel it back and move on with life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.