Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightsout

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting my first Mac next month, the new iMac - probably 17" but maybe 20". The question I have to ask is - do you consider the new iMac to be a 1st or 2nd gen product? From what I can tell, it is just a new processor (I'm excluding the 24" model!) or has something else internally changed??

Thanks!

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
I guess it's a Rev B product by definition...different RAM, differnet vid card, processor...just my opinion mind.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
I would say at least rev C if not D.

Rev A: Current form factor introduced with the G5
Rev B: Then I think they added isight - not sure if it counts
Rev C: Added Intel core duo Chips
Rev D updated chips (intel core 2 duo), more ram, and new 24" model

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
hdsalinas said:
I would say at least rev C if not D.

Rev A: Current form factor introduced with the G5
Rev B: Then I think they added isight - not sure if it counts
Rev C: Added Intel core duo Chips
Rev D updated chips (intel core 2 duo), more ram, and new 24" model

Oh if we follow that then it would go like this:

Rev A: Original G5 iMac
Rev B: Ambient Light Sensor
Rev C: iSight G5
Rev D: Intel
Rev E: Faster Intel w/ 24 inch iMac better graphics, etc

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Lets see, going by Mac model identifier -- the first Intel iMac was the imac4,1 and the education model the iMac4,2

The current ones are iMac 5,1 (17 & 20 inch) iMac 5,2 (entry level) iMac6,1 (the 24 inch)

So the OS is declaring the machines new models ... and not just speed bumps. ;)

So go ahead and call them rev B if you want. But as you can see it is a bit confusing since there have been 5 different Intel iMacs already according to the OS.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I assume that you are asking about the revision because you are concerned with problems associated with "Rev. A" products. I'm pretty sure that there have been no chronic issues with iMacs since the power supply issues of the Rev. A/B G5 iMacs (before iSight). A quick check of the Apple support forums shows no particular issue that lots of people are complaining about, which I assure you there would be if even a small percentage of iMacs were having similar problems. I would buy a new iMac without hesitation....oh wait I just did.

lightsout

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
LastLine said:
I guess it's a Rev B product by definition...different RAM, differnet vid card, processor...just my opinion mind.

For the 17" model I want, it is still the X1600. Of course, we've got the low-end iMac & high-end iMac both of which give extra options. I could really go for a 7600GT in a 17" model though!

Anyway, thanks for the quick responses! The consenses appears to be "yes", and as stated it isn't like the iMac was a problem machine anyway. I'm going to give it a few weeks anyway just to ensure no issues turn up with the Core 2 Duo iMacs.

Out of interest, does anyone know if it is the same chipset or not?

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Hmm by my reasoning its the 2nd revision.

The first iMac G5 introduced the new form of iMac and was Rev A
Rev B is the iMac G5 with ambient Light Sensor
Rev C is the iMac G5 with iSight.

The tricky part is whether with the switch to Intel processors is classified as a revision or a whole new line... My personal view is that it should a new line.

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
Personally I'd say it is a Rev. C product.

The internals and external case are near exactly the same despite chip/architecture changes.

Rev A: iSight iMac
Rev B: Core Duo iSight iMac
Rev C: Core 2 Duo iSight iMac

My opinion of course.

Either way, pull the trigger and buy the mac =)

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
From a standpoint of potential problems, I think all the first Intel models should be called Rev A, making the Merom iMacs Rev B in my mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.