Core Data Date formatting issue

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by beaglboy, Jun 21, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 21, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Hopefully someone can help me with this one. I have a contact management app that has date fields for "Last Contact date" and "Next Contact Date". I created a search predicate that would search on next contact date and display only the records for that date. It worked great until I decided I needed to create a user preference so the next contact date would automatically be some date in the futrure. I created a subclass of NSManaged object and put my code there.

Everything works except the date it writes to the database looks like this: >name="nextcontact" type="date">268045271.25241801142692565918<

For some reason my search predicate does not find the records with this format. Before I changed the date with my subclass the date field in the database looked like this: >266515200.00000000000000000000< (always containing the 00.00000000000000000000 string)
    With this format the search predicate works fine.

My code to add to the date field looks like this:
    - (void)awakeFromInsert {
    int t;
    t = [[NSUserDefaults stardardUserDefaults] integerForKey:mad:"nextContactDate"]; // gets # of days to add to date from user preferences
    [self setValue:[NSDate dateWithTimeIntervalSinceNow: (3600*24*t)] forKey:mad:"nextContact"]; // sets the value of nextContact in a new record by adding 't'

The search predicate is quite simple and looks like this: nextContact = CAST($value "NSCalendarDate")

My question is how can I fomulate a date that will save as the second example above (or possibly change the predicate so it will work with the new date format).