Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Do you mean cheap 11.6" with c2d and more expensive 13.3" with core i7 ulv?

I think it would be great if they did just that. Given that I can put in more than 4GB of RAM (to run Win 7 VM) I would very likely be picking one up. Most likely the 13.3" model.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think it actually looks like we're getting C2D and Nvidia 320m.

However, wouldn't it be great if Apple negotiated a "truce" between Intel and Nvidia and we got Core i7 LV CPUs and Nvidia 320m GPUs? I am not saying it's going to happen, just that it would be great.

In all reality, we would be better off with Core i7 and ATI 5430s, but that looks to be a long shot right now too. I just don't get why Apple doesn't take advantage of AMD/ATI much lower TDP GPUs? I mean a 7 W TDP discrete GPU is a better use of power than a 14 W TDP Nvidia 320m. But perhaps the extra chip really doesn't fit?

I don't believe Sandy Bridge is ready, and in the past I thought Apple got chips a few days or weeks early. That's a big difference than a whole quarter early.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
But perhaps the extra chip really doesn't fit?

That's very possible. Core i7, even ULV has die size of 81mm^2 + 114mm^2 (CPU + IGP) so that's 195mm^2 while C2D is only 107mm^2. Southbridge and GDDR for GPU will also take space.

At least with the current (well, 2008 as that's 1st gen MBA) size of the logic board, it's not very easy. Maybe Apple could redesign the logic board and maybe make it little bigger? We'll see in an hour ;)

KJJyYGCKwbfhmAJI.medium

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
That's very possible. Core i7, even ULV has die size of 81mm^2 + 114mm^2 (CPU + IGP) so that's 195mm^2 while C2D is only 107mm^2. Southbridge and GDDR for GPU will also take space.

At least with the current (well, 2008 as that's 1st gen MBA) size of the logic board, it's not very easy. Maybe Apple could redesign the logic board and maybe make it little bigger? We'll see in an hour ;)

KJJyYGCKwbfhmAJI.medium

I think widening the MBA's case is the first step. It allows more room for the chips and cooling. I thought the main reason we would get a wider MBA was for the AMD/ATI GPU, but it looks as though I am dead wrong there.

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Better be a huge price drop if they are going to put a 2yr old chip in this thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.