Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
A controversial exhibition featuring human corpses has opened in London with one art critic accusing it of being a "shameless Victorian freak show".

But the man behind the Body Worlds show is confident British visitors will understand his work and be willing to donate their own bodies.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/1887976.stm

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You gave this thread an interesting title interesting title interesting.

Americans seem to be more afraid of death than other cultures and I just happen to have been reading about that very topic this morning. So I'm sure the negative reaction here would be stronger than in other countries. Viewing the bodies is probably a really good science lesson for people who don't mind.

Does anybody remember the news story about a funhouse dummy that turned out to be the remains of an actual person? I think they found out when an arm fell off.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
This is similar to the way physicians study anatomy. Being in medicine, i would find this exhibit fascinating. Hopefully the exhibit will come to Boston. I realize that this would not be fro everyone. It definitely is a great educational opportunity. My great opportunity similar to this was when I assisted a group of doctors doing autopsies. Doctors love to teach when they have an audience.

krimson

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by Doctor Q
You gave this thread an interesting title interesting title interesting.

Americans seem to be more afraid of death than other cultures and I just happen to have been reading about that very topic this morning. So I'm sure the negative reaction here would be stronger than in other countries. Viewing the bodies is probably a really good science lesson for people who don't mind.

Does anybody remember the news story about a funhouse dummy that turned out to be the remains of an actual person? I think they found out when an arm fell off.

You should visit the Museum of Death down in san diego.. lamppost district iirc. :D

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Actually, I'd be interested to see it. But is it still there? This page says it moved to Hollywood, CA.

It closed down in July of '01 (which blows 'cause I didn't know about it until Aug of '01). I'm not sure if it has re-opened anywhere yet. I guess you could shoot them an e-mail.

Lethal

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
And if they aren't there, will it end up in the dead letter office?

If anyone can locate the "Museum Of Death" I have faith that you can Doctor Q. It might be a fascinating weekend project.! ;)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by wdlove
If anyone can locate the "Museum Of Death" I have faith that you can Doctor Q. It might be a fascinating weekend project.! ;)

Kinda on topic... there's a museum in West Virginia that has mummies on display.

I guess they're desert mummies, and i haven't been yet (though a trip is planned).

Apparently the town flooded at one point and the mummies almost got ruined, but they were seen floating up the flooded streets.

Hah.

They also apparently allow photography (just no flashes) but they let you bring in a tripod and whatnot. I'm SO grabbing pics when we go.

Sometime next month methinks

krimson

macrumors 65816
Actually, I'd be interested to see it. But is it still there? This page says it moved to Hollywood, CA.

I stand corrected, i hadn't gone there in a long time, well, my gf hates that stuff.. Looks from that page, they did move to (Hollywood & Ivar), iirc, it's just past Vine heading west. I'll look for it next time im there.

edit:
Museum of Death info page.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
I hope that someone will go to the "Museum of Death," so that we can find out what it is actually like.

Something similar but on a minor scale of this occured while I was growing up in Ohio. They found a man dead on the street many years before I was born. He had no family. They embalmed him. Someone built a stucture like a cabin, just one room, with a large picture window. So the man was dressed in a suit and placed in a bed. He was displayed just off the side of the road. At some point they decided that no family was going to show and they no longer wanted the upkeep of the building. There was also getting to be a problem with vandals, this was in the 60's. So the building was torn and and he was given a proper burial.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
The real museum of the dead is in Italy, I dont know if the spelling is right but its something like 'Capadocian'. If I remember right, its a family (sect?) that used a special method to preserve the corpse of their death. A friend of mine went there and says that the stench is almost unbarable. She also brougth postcards of the corpse and its trully spooky.

I will google on this when I leave work...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Do I get extra points for thoroughness? It took many days, but I manged to get ahold of the owner of the Museum of Death by phone! She explained to me that the Museum is still looking for a new location in the Los Angeles area, such as in Downtown L.A., in Highland Park, or in Silverlake. Probably not in Hollywood itself. They hope to open by summer.

And here's some inside news: They just acquired a human head for their collection. It's the head of a 1928 serial killer from Paris! And you are the first to know!

I promised her I would visit the Museum when it opens and that I'd tell my friends (that includes you guys) about it too.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Nice job!

I just wonder if they allow visitor to photograph the corpse or you have to pay for postcards...

If you like corpse, make sure to visit the Paris catacombs the next time you are in France! Its supposed to be one scary visit!

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Is it just me, or is this insane. Why would someone want to look at dead people that have been skinned. An 8 month pregnant women with her featus exposed?

Dear lord have we really reached that point of morbidity as a society?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Doctor Q said:
Do I get extra points for thoroughness? It took many days, but I manged to get a hold of the owner of the Museum of Death by phone! She explained to me that the Museum is still looking for a new location in the Los Angeles area, such as in Downtown L.A., in Highland Park, or in Silverlake. Probably not in Hollywood itself. They hope to open by summer.

And here's some inside news: They just acquired a human head for their collection. It's the head of a 1928 serial killer from Paris! And you are the first to know!

I promised her I would visit the Museum when it opens and that I'd tell my friends (that includes you guys) about it too.

Kudos Doctor Q for your persistence and thoroughness in tracking down this information. I look forward to your review of the museum.

Backtothemac I look at this from a professional point of view. This in my mind would be very educational.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.