Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GMarc724

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2022
IMG_2832.jpeg
Picked up my new MacBook Air M3 yesterday at Best Buy and noticed an issue with the coating right after opening the box. Is this something to worry about. Should I exchange? Thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: krspkbl

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Is this something to worry about. Should I exchange? Thoughts?
For something that small I would personally just ignore it. You do run the risk of getting something worse if you exchange. You probably should get a case to protect the machine and the case will completely hide the issue. Just my opinion.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
I would generally say that if you have to point to a cosmetic in problem in a photo about it, it's likely not really a problem. But if this is troubling then take it back, otherwise even if nobody else notices it, you will.

I can't see it being anything to 'worry about' though, since it isn't at all likely to reflect a problem with the anodization, except that from the look of it, something unintended may well have stuck to it right there during the process.

3SQ Machine

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2019
I had a 15" MBA (new-Midnight) that I got from Costco that had a weird "smudge" right next to the trackpad. I eventually returned it for a different reason (to get a pro), but it became less noticeable to me over time--probably because other smudges took its place.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Does the computer work? That is what would be important to me, but I view these things as tools not as objects of art.

• Love
Reactions: kitKAC

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Can’t you wipe it off? Had some spots too but I simply wiped them off. If not I would ask for a rebate or I would send it back. 100% premium price -> it should be 100% OK.

• Haha
Reactions: krspkbl

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
If it really bothers you then take it back. It's your money so if you're not happy then return it.

For me it's not something to worry about. It's a minor cosmetic blemish that honestly doesn't look that noticeable at all. It will not affect your MacBook Air in anyway. Just use it and enjoy it.

If you think that's bad you should see my M3 Air. It has 3-4 little black dots which look like tiny chips. I can feel them if I run my finger/nail over it. I thought it was dust but it's an imperfection on the aluminium or the coating. When I tried taking a picture to show people on here I had to hold my Air up to a light at just the right angle and use 5x zoom on my iPhone lol. Didn't really bother me then and it doesn't bother me in the slightest now.

I used to play this game years ago where I'd worry over stuff like this but maybe I'm too old now I don't have the energy to care. I bought the Air to use it to do work on and that's what I do instead of worrying about how it looks or if it gets damaged. Your Air is going to get damaged (scratches/chips) as you use it.

In all the Macs i've owned only 1 came with significant damage (on a corner) which is completely unacceptable and I returned that without even bothering to turn it on. If you look for something to worry about then you'll probably find it. There are going to be imperfections on anything. I honestly don't think Apple (or any other retailer) should accept returns for such small cosmetic imperfections but luckily Apple, and I assume BestBuy, will take it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.