Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
I won't be using any AV software that could destroy my Mac. But heard that good thing to do is to monitor LaunchAgent and LauncDaemon folders as if something would sneak in, it usually adds new file there.

https://www.cnet.com/news/monitor-os-x-launchagents-folders-to-help-prevent-malware-attacks/
I did it and it works. But then I was hit by likely stupid thought (but I still need to ask): it gives notification when new item is added to monitored folder. But could this somehow damage the installing process if those folders are watched?

For example, I installed Malwarebytes, only scanner I use and Mac did tell me new item was added to LaunchAgents. So my question is - could this monitoring have hampered Malwarebytes installation and damaged it's working&detection in any way? I don't really care about other apps, but this one is my only security line so...

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
By the way, I've seen you post a lot of privacy and security for macOS topics, which is awesome. I love it when people take their digital life seriously. So I thought maybe you'd be interested in this resource :) I don't recommend you do everything on that git page, but reading through it surely will answer some of your questions, as well as make you go 'oh snap, that is cool, i wanna do that too, and it doesn't seem too difficult'.

https://github.com/drduh/macOS-Security-and-Privacy-Guide

But to be on topic, I think it honestly depends on 'what' was added to launch agent, etc.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The folder action as such does not block or break anything. However, folder actions are not completely reliable. It happens occasionally that the process is interrupted and stops monitoring until a reboot.

The article you linked also suggested locking the directories. You should not do that, if you did, then you must reverse it.

Bubwell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
By the way, I've seen you post a lot of privacy and security for macOS topics, which is awesome. I love it when people take their digital life seriously. So I thought maybe you'd be interested in this resource :) I don't recommend you do everything on that git page, but reading through it surely will answer some of your questions, as well as make you go 'oh snap, that is cool, i wanna do that too, and it doesn't seem too difficult'.

https://github.com/drduh/macOS-Security-and-Privacy-Guide

But to be on topic, I think it honestly depends on 'what' was added to launch agent, etc.

Thank you! I'm a worrywart at soul. XD
The link is much appreciated!
I can't check right away exact name as I'm behind Windows, but it was part of Malwarebytes.

The folder action as such does not block or break anything. However, folder actions are not completely reliable. It happens occasionally that the process is interrupted and stops monitoring until a reboot.

The article you linked also suggested locking the directories. You should not do that, if you did, then you must reverse it.

Oh, that takes burden off my shoulders.
No worries, the locking part sounded too radical for my tastes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.