Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
[DISCLAIMER:This is just my own crazy conspiracy theory, take it with a BIG grain of salt]

That apple is releasing OS X for x86 plateform at the apple expo in Paris next month? As per recent rumors on this site:
----------------------------------------------------------------
...sources further stated that Jobs is expected to make at least one major announcement during his presentation

New Apple Switch Campaign Canceled?

Mac OS X x86 on Any PC?
----------------------------------------------------------------

After reading through some of the forums of PC users who have succeded at installing OS X on their PC's as well as this recent article on wired

I've determined that the install is "relativly" straight forward. Other's have suggested that apple may have leaked this cracked version, which of course results in free product testing for them.

Of cource I also spend all day surrounded by mountains while working in a windowless office, so maby I'm just out to lunch.

but if I am correct than everyone on macrumors owes me a fallafel

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
I doubt it. It would be more likely that we already have an Intel mac ready...and that's not gonna happen. Odds are it is an updated iPod mini.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
updated iPod mini what? the first iPod Mini update took like 1 year plus some

A new Mac laptop "eBook" to fight the low cost laptops a 12'' and 14'' screen starting at 12' '599 or 14'' 799. Only Combo drive( super drive on BTO) Airport biult in but not Bluetooth, 30gb or 60gb HD 512mb ram

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
zap2 said:
A new Mac laptop "eBook" to fight the low cost laptops a 12'' and 14'' screen starting at 12' '599 or 14'' 799. Only Combo drive( super drive on BTO) Airport biult in but not Bluetooth, 30gb or 60gb HD 512mb ram

That doesn't sound much different from the current iBooks. Just cheaper.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
An eBook should have no iLife, no Bluetooth, no Airport Extreme etc. Just the bread and butter stuff. There could definitely be a distinction between PowerBook, iBook and eBooks imo.. the move to Intel could further highlight this, as it will once again be possible to make the PowerBook just that... instead of just a slightly souped up iBook. It could be the laptop for the pros again. The iBook would be the consumer level book... , and eBook aimed for high school kids, mums (sorry to generalise but you get the point lol)... basically those who need it for non "Life" apps.. they just wanna browse the web, pay the bills, send an email, write documents and maybe watch a DVD.

Processors:
PB: Pentium D
iB: Pentium M
eB: Celeron

Hard drves:
PB: 120GB
iBook:60gb
eBook: 30gb

Ram
1024mb +
512mb
512mb

VRam
128mb
64mb
32mb

Connections:
1 Firewire 800, 1 FireWire 400 , 2 USB 2.0
1 Firewire 400, 2 USB 2.0
2 USB 2.0

Put an eBook at a similar price to the eMac and you have a hit on your hands.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
Project said:
Processors:
PB: Pentium D
iB: Pentium M
eB: Celeron

Put an eBook at a similar price to the eMac and you have a hit on your hands.

The Pentium D is NOT going into a Powerbook. Have you seen the heat output on these things? The power consumption? They're astronomical!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, say "No" to Pentium D, kids.

Its most likely:

PowerBooks: Pentium M (or dual P-Ms): 13", 15", 17"
iBook: Slower Pentium M (or single P-M while the PB gets dual P-M): 13", 15" models
eBook: Never happen
MiniBook: 10" screen with a very low powered Pentium-M or G4.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
admittedly I havent touched a D chip running, but I was basically referring to an article re it that I saw a while back. They said the D was for desktops and performance laptops.

Nevermind though, as the poster above said, dualcore Ms could be a possibility. Especially with the low power consumption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.