Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
I'm on a 2009 MacPro so my patience is about out.

If Apple holds out till 2018, they will have lost even more customers who will not return to the platform.
Personally I think approaching three years without so much as a peep regarding their plans is too long.

Reactions: pat500000

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
Personally I think approaching three years without so much as a peep regarding their plans is too long.
I agree. If they are going to continue making the MacPro, they should at least make a statement saying that. They don't have to give specifics or state secrets but at least, throw the users a bone. If they are going to discontinue it then say so like they did with the TB monitor.

I remember that before they announced the 2013, Timmy had made a statement that the wait will be worth it. Now we get nothing. I just read a report on 9to5 that Sierra will be released 9/20 so it doesn't look like a computer event is coming:

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/07/wip-macos-sierra-will-be-released-on-september-20/?pushup=1

Reactions: mburkhard

telequest

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
NJ
I have a mid-2010 (5,1) cMP, 6-core 3.33GHz primarily for video editing. When the nMP was announced in 2013, I decided to upgrade my cMP with more RAM and SSDs (both as boot and an array on PCIe card), plus a new video card ... rather than plunk down my cash on a radical new v1 of the nMP. My timetable for a new machine: Whenever my cMP starts acting up or if it begins choking on 4K video. So far, it remains stable and powerful enough for me to work productively.

But I'm far less tied to the Mac than I was before Apple trashed Final Cut Pro 7 and transformed it into FCP X (don't get me wrong, I know some folks love FCP X and do great work with it). At that point, we switched all our work to Adobe Creative Cloud (was already deep into Photoshop and After Effects, and switching to Premiere Pro from FCP 7 was a breeze). Other than the OS, we run no mission-critical Apple-only software ... and AFAIK, Adobe CC works fine under Windows (please advise if you know otherwise).

So if Apple provides an updated, improved nMP that I can tailor to my needs by the time I need something new, great. But even if that's the case, I'll have to take a hard look at non-Mac boxes, especially if the future of the MP still looks iffy at that point.

In sum, Apple's apparent disregard for the MP (and Macs in general) has transformed me from an enthused Mac evangelist, responsible for dozens of Mac purchases by my business, family and friends over the years, into a definite skeptic. I'm not ready to jump ship just yet, but I'm making sure I know where the lifeboats are.

Roykor

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Well, i stopped with the waiting game and moved over to a monster PC 2 weeks ago. I am getting handy with W10 too, and it is great, to be honest. Even the muscle memory with the shortcuts are out my system and pressing the wrong key when i chill on my macbook haha.

Nice extra which is an plus: My 2600 euro monster machine (x99, 6800k 6-core, 32gb, 950 pro ssd, gfx1070) is running circles around a 5000 euro nMP with two fingers in his nose.

The choice was heavy, it took me a year. But so far, there not a single day sinds i turned on the PC that i missed my Mac and OSX. It is a tool, and it does the job, easy to upgrade, safes cash i can spend on something els.

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
AFAIK, Adobe CC works fine under Windows (please advise if you know otherwise).
You are able to just download the creative cloud app and sign into the cloud and load the software on the PC. If you Want to stop using it on the Mac, you would just sign out on that computer. You are allowed to use it on 2 computers. Can't remember which article I was reading but it said that the Adobe software can run better on Windows depending on the application.

I am learning Windows 10 and seriously investigating a PC. Having used Macs since 1984, I never thought I would be looking at moving to a PC but enough is getting to be enough.

Blair Paulsen

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
San Diego, CA USA
I'm on the same page with Telequest, long time video production guy who has guided dozens of people to Mac over the last 30 years (1986, 512SE). Agree that some guidance for gear often used to make a living is a reasonable request.

Hard to say with Steve gone, but Apple has typically waited for meaningful advancements in computing technology to release new models - whether one year, or four years since the last jump. I've always appreciated that approach, not wasting engineering time - and my cash - on incremental upgrades along the way.

IMO, Kaby Lake chipsets represent the next "jump" in the evolution. Process shrink will reduce TDP, DDR4 will really help real time operations in video land, PCIe3/4 will support the kind of I/O media creation requires and having TB3 direct to the CPU should make eGPU viable for many use cases.

It's too soon to go to the dark side, but if April 2017 arrives with no MacPro 7,1 shipping...

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
My bet is Apple are going to abandon the pro market completely and merge the iPad and Mac lines - run everything on the their own A series processors. There was a hint of this in today's presentation - mobile lightroom, because the iPhone is now quick enough.

They have completely ignored skylake, while all other vendors were straight on it (the XPS 15 I'm typing on now as Skylake), and you can bet they will all immediately be on Kabylake when that is released early next year. Why would Apple completely ignore a significant update to Intel CPU's?

They will come out this something really shiny and thinner than an 80's supermodel, and wow everybody with eyecandy, but there will be no substance to the product at all. The trendy crowd will all be dazzled by the presentation and never bother to dig deep enough to realise what's wrong. Anyone who relies on Apple for work, in my view should look elsewhere if there is no update when Sierra is released, and defineately if there is nothing when Kabylake is released. I've already moved to a Windows laptop. I'll sweat my nMP a bit longer then that will go too.
[doublepost=1473281122][/doublepost]
You are able to just download the creative cloud app and sign into the cloud and load the software on the PC. If you Want to stop using it on the Mac, you would just sign out on that computer. You are allowed to use it on 2 computers. Can't remember which article I was reading but it said that the Adobe software can run better on Windows depending on the application.

I am learning Windows 10 and seriously investigating a PC. Having used Macs since 1984, I never thought I would be looking at moving to a PC but enough is getting to be enough.

I'm running both Mac and a Windows 10 PC. Lightroom and PS work fine on the PC, as do other applications such as PhotoMechanic. All my plugins work too (topaz and Nik). The Dell XPS 15 is a great laptop, isn't quite as good as a rMBP in terms of the trackpad, but everything else is better, and it's cheaper. The trackpad isn't horrible though, just not quite as nice as the one on the Mac. Moving LR over to Mac is easy too - just copy and import the catalogue. Everything comes with it, edits, keywords, the lot.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Hi Mike, it's Tim.
Hi Tim how ya doin'?
Couldn't be better. Just sold millions worth of stock and terminated the audio port on the iPhone.
Cool beans Tim, what can I do for you today?
I want to sell you the Apple computer business.
Can I call it Dapple Computer?
No.
OK, I'll have my people call your people.
Don't mention it was my idea.
No Problemo, Tim. As long as you toss in the iPod biz.
Sure, as long as you don't call it the iDell.
Gotcha. Have a good one bro.

Last edited:

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
The orientation doc was archived Dec. last year and hadn't been updated since Nov. 2014 iirc. The software update page was factually out-of-date as of May 2014 (That's when 10.9.2 stopped being the latest OS). These docs are long abandoned, and I so wonder if the timing is more about clicks than 'news'. Whatever the reason, this is clearly no indication of an imminent refresh, but could be one more tiny nail in the nMP coffin.

You meant, "One thinner nail in its Milanese Loop coffin. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ssgbryan

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
Hi Mike, it's Tim.
Hi Tim how ya doin'?
Couldn't be better. Just sold millions worth of stock and terminated the audio port on the iPhone.
Cool beans Tim, what can I do for you today?
I want to sell you the Apple computer business.
Can I call it Dapple Computer?
No.
OK, I'll have my people call your people.
Don't mention it was my idea.
No Problemo, Tim. As long as you toss in the iPod biz.
Sure, as long as you don't call it the iDell.
Gotcha. Have a good one bro.
Well at least Tim spoke with you and told you what's going on! So when are you going to update the MP or are you cancelling it?:D

Reactions: BillyBobBongo

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I agree. If they are going to continue making the MacPro, they should at least make a statement saying that. They don't have to give specifics or state secrets but at least, throw the users a bone. If they are going to discontinue it then say so like they did with the TB monitor.

In addition to that, moving the MacPro's documentation to the ARCHIVE AREA without announcing anything else is not really a wise move for Apple. If the rumours are true for a new external monitor, there will probably be a next MacPro. The issue here is that many people would be ready to upgrade their machine each year (if it boost your productivity, why not) and they can't. And when you need to buy one and there is only a 3 year old model in the store, it's not really thrilling. I'm not advising anyone to buy a mac anymore. I have one and it's probably my last. I run Linux/Windows on my main machine.

cheers

Reactions: mrxak

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
See, what all of you are ignoring is that Apple seems to have entirely given up on its computer lineup. Us poor, sniveling Mac Pro users are no longer alone in feeling neglected.

Almost inexplicably, Apple went into a new school year with one mid-cycle computer and the entire remainder of the lineup is old. Pretty sad, really. I won't be switching to PC, but I'll also keep my 5,1 going as long as possible. Provided no-one sends an EMP weapon my way, I don't foresee any problems... until an OS X updates intentionally kills my XP941.

Reactions: elewarr and mrxak

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
In sum, Apple's apparent disregard for the MP (and Macs in general) has transformed me from an enthused Mac evangelist, responsible for dozens of Mac purchases by my business, family and friends over the years, into a definite skeptic. I'm not ready to jump ship just yet, but I'm making sure I know where the lifeboats are.

Me too , I used to be a rabid mac fanboy in the past . SO disillusioned with the way capt cook is taking them these days. I can see them becoming nothing but a fashion brand in a few years. Wearables and all that crap.

Reactions: mrxak and ssgbryan

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
No-one knows. But per ITguy's comments, I've already begun my migration - to Linux.

The grief doesn't end with AWOL hardware updates. The software has been neglected too (except for iCandy features that I don't use). The Finder freezes over trivial things - I just now right-clicked on a file, resulting on a freeze, and in "force quit" it crashed instead of restarting, meaning that a reboot seems necessary. When I click on a file to open it in Preview, it frequently tells me I don't have permission (I do) - a multi-generational bug that Apple is too busy to fix. I could go on and on.

My Linux box (which I'm typing on) has a maxed-out Skylake and a GTX 1070 and cost about $1000 sans monitor. It's faster than any 4-core mac at everything and is rock solid. I'm on Mint 18 now (quite stable), and have Manjaro KDE Plasma on a different drive. The latter has a more modern and attractive user interface (though perhaps it needs another point update or two before full consistency is reached), and it has a very high degree of user control over its look and features. Linux is fun!

I still use both, and I haven't made a concerted effort to switch completely yet, preferring a more organic shift (and, you know, I still hold out some hope for a nnMP). But I find myself using the Linux machine more and more, with fewer and fewer application holes left to fill before it's a completely satisfactory replacement. With another few months of no updates from Apple, I may very well have left the Mac behind for good.

The best tools for the job. Good for you.

But, I use Keynote and Final Cut Pro X. That keeps me on the Mac.
Besides, I like the look of Macs (hardware and OS) and the use of iCloud.

I am sure many Mac users have the same.

If only Apple (silently) updated the internals (CPU / grfx) more often, especially on their desktop line up which seems easy enough to do. And if it is impossible (no new Xeons or proprietary grfx), then once in while lower the prices, or give free RAM / SSD upgrades... I dunno... DO SOMETHING!

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I believe the true problem that rightfully disheartens people is not the lack of updates per se. It's the fact that apple leaves people in the dark regarding a product their living depends on.

They can do whatever they want for the starbucks rMB, the iPhone or the iWatch to create the necessary hype. But it is very unprofessional to do that for a Pro machine.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
In addition to that, moving the MacPro's documentation to the ARCHIVE AREA without announcing anything else is not really a wise move for Apple.

For most modern Support KB practices 'archive' is not the same as 'no updates'.

For most of the particular articles being cited. ( "what are the ports? " , "what is the proper orientation" ) ..... errr after 3 years what parts of those article's content is likely to change for machine released 3 years previously? Is it going to get new ports? No. Is someone going to change they minds on orientation? No.

As for software firmware.... Is it likely to get new firmware? No. The newest OS ... if you don't update the App Store will bug you every day. Do you really need a KB note to tell you? Seriously. So should there be any major changes to that KB note ( which by the way doesn't list specific OS version numbers. ).

Technically, the 'archive' status should only be a couple of years after desupport time limit gets hit. It means not indexing (for search and pragmatically moving it out of the content management process).

IMHO, this status change probably reflects that these articles are assigned to no one in the support document writers/maintners pool. That is probably driven by a combination of very low number of hits on the pages (practically nobody is looking at them) and there not being enough bodies around to keep up with all of the other products (which are much more dynamically accessed pages). To a large extent that is decoupled from either the product being terminated or refreshed, so not indicative of much other than the product is old ... which it is.

If the rumours are true for a new external monitor, there will probably be a next MacPro.

Apple sells docking stations not monitors (no matter what "spin" they put on the product name). The Mac Pro 2013 model released with a new Sharp Monitor in the store. There is no tail-wags-dog thing here where the monitor needs Mac Pros to sell well. Docking stations need laptops (not desktops ) to sell in volume.

Reactions: 762999

RhymeAnimal

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
can't say how I know, but I have 100% confirmation this morning that Apple will discontinue the Mac Pro, instead focusing on "professional" capabilities of iMac. Will be an official acknowledgement of the discontinuation in late October.

see ya nerdz.

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
At this point, my fanboy days are over and I wouldn't recommend Apple for anything other than non-business uses.

My plan is to keep the Mac for email, surfing and Mac only apps (while looking for replacements if possible) and a Windows computer for productivity.

JimGoshorn

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
NY
If your source is correct, at least we will finally have a definitive answer once and for all. It wouldn't surprise me and since the iMac can keep pace with a MacPro in many areas, it makes sense.

Wonder if they will expand the iMac's capabilities.

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
At this point, my fanboy days are over and I wouldn't recommend Apple for anything other than non-business uses.

My plan is to keep the Mac for email, surfing and Mac only apps (while looking for replacements if possible) and a Windows computer for productivity.

That is my contingency plan as well.

For generic everyday computing duties, it still doesn't get better than the Mac/iDevice/AppleTV combo, and I have absolutely no reason to switch.

But if my MP4,1 transitions to the great Cloud in the Sky, I would consider a Windows replacement if no updated MacPro had come along by then.

That said, I'm currently rethinking my workflow. I have made a living doing point and click for almost all of my adult life, but I suspect the time may come to embrace change and learn something new.

So I'm keeping my 4,1 with all the applications I know and love, but also looking at alternatives for my desktop software. Maybe my next machine won't be a trad workstation at all.

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.