Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ajay(UK)

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
UK
Anyway, back on topic about being happy with the iMac, rather than moaning....

Completely agree!

It makes a change to read such positive comments on a forum and I believe your observations are spot on! I have exactly the same spec and have had it now for two weeks without any of the reported issues and I LOVE IT!!!!

I am also new to the imac and cannot see a return to the old days of windoze! Apart from the other PC's in my office that I seem to have to fix all too often.

I would like to add one thing, Parallels 8 works seamlessly and is a perfect solution for anyone who has to retain some functionality with MS only products. Our accounts package and a few bespoke program's have to run on windoze and in coherence mode you would never know it exists. It was this lack of integration that has stopped me from switching in the past.

So it's another big thank you Apple from me for creating such a piece of art and thank you Parallels for providing the software that has finally allowed me to appreciate it!:D

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Parallels really does scream on the 2012 iMac. Great stuff, and I've found it to have stellar file-system performance compared to Fusion. Really great.

Also, despite having gone through numerous iMac replacements, there's no question it's a fantastic machine. I do love mine.

tee-tz

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
Nice write up and I'm glad you're enjoying your iMac. I just got mine (though I owned the previous model) and I'm certainly loving it. For those coming from a Windows environment, I certainly remember the feeling - it's night and day.

On the speakers bit, I think nobody is saying they are like Bose, B&W or any similar external speaker quality, but for internal speakers I don't think they're decent.

Tee-Tz

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I'm on the 3rd replacement (one wasn't quality related, they simply had sent wrong model), but I really love the machine. It's an awesome and very capable device! I just hope I'll get a good unit soon, since another problem occurred yesterday.

That aside, it's reassuring that there are many people here who receive flawless units from the start!

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Completely agree!

It makes a change to read such positive comments on a forum and I believe your observations are spot on! I have exactly the same spec and have had it now for two weeks without any of the reported issues and I LOVE IT!!!!

I am also new to the imac and cannot see a return to the old days of windoze! Apart from the other PC's in my office that I seem to have to fix all too often.

I would like to add one thing, Parallels 8 works seamlessly and is a perfect solution for anyone who has to retain some functionality with MS only products. Our accounts package and a few bespoke program's have to run on windoze and in coherence mode you would never know it exists. It was this lack of integration that has stopped me from switching in the past.

So it's another big thank you Apple from me for creating such a piece of art and thank you Parallels for providing the software that has finally allowed me to appreciate it!:D

Im running parallels 7 with Windows 8,great experience.

What's the difference between parallels 7 and. 8?

crgraham32

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Kentucky
I've had mine since Saturday March 2nd. I LOVE IT!!!!

Never going back to Windows.

With my Windows PC - I had to spend at least 30 minutes to figure out how to re-install my wireless printer when I installed my new Airport Extreme router the other night. I ended up having to connect the printer to my windows PC with an ethernet cable and find the driver online even though it was already installed to get it working. Very frustrating.

When I started my mac and went to printers, it was already listed. I just had to click it and it automatically downloaded the software and started printing. That's why I switched. That stuff makes me sick!

UFGatorMel

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Any 21.5" happy campers?

I bought one for my husband and he loves it (I have a MBP). I'm the IT person in our household and haven't had any issues with it. And it looks just beautiful. Really happy with the purchase.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Well I have now had my iMac for 4 days where I have been using it pretty extensively and I honestly say, I couldn't be happier!

How do you like the reduced glare screen? Do you work in a light-controlled environment? I'm wondering how it would do if there was a window directly facing the display?

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
It's been two weeks, I love my new iMac and really happy love that I went with 3TB Fusion. I know at some point I will have to but not having to manage my Library is a relief.

crgraham32

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2013
Kentucky
How do you like the reduced glare screen? Do you work in a light-controlled environment? I'm wondering how it would do if there was a window directly facing the display?

Mine sits right beside a window with blinds, and I have only noticed any glare once or twice. Even then, it was not very distracting at all.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Sound is very clear and more than adequate for most things but bass is crap (so they are poor for music as everything sounds tinny). If they work in the music industry maybe they need to get their ears syringed so they can hear properly? All kinds of music sounds poor through them.

I'm sure the sound is excellent for an all-in-one, and the quality of the sound could be heavily impacted by acoustics of your environment i.e. the type of desk you have, the distance of screen from your face and the walls. Also, some speakers can have a break in period. Despite saying this, my Macbook Pro sounds tinny to me and I'm sure the iMac uses some form of laptop speakers, however it still sounds better and gets louder than my Dell laptop speakers. If you're typically not satisfied with the sound that comes from a flat panel TV, I think you should expect similar dissatisfaction with a all-in-one computer and consider purchasing external speakers.

Most people in the music industry use studio/reference monitors. Low frequencies have never been a strong suit for Apple speakers. I typically design with monitors and headphones, then check the sound on lower quality speakers, such as those in my Macbook Pro, in my car, or the generic iphone headphones. The issue with designing with good quality audio equipment, is that the general public listens on much lower fidelity equipment.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i'm wondering if the imac speakers are better than present macbook line (pro and air) ?

ArtieFufkin10

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2012
i'm wondering if the imac speakers are better than present macbook line (pro and air) ?

As an owner of a 2012 13" air and a late 2012 27" iMac, I can say there i sno contest between the iMac speakers and the Air's. The iMac speakers have a very impressive frequency response and good power for their size.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
As an owner of a 2012 13" air and a late 2012 27" iMac, I can say there i sno contest between the iMac speakers and the Air's. The iMac speakers have a very impressive frequency response and good power for their size.

But what about MBA 13" with iMac 21.5"?
I think the 27" sound better and loader than 21.5" , is this correct ?

seroposi

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2013
Herts, UK
Any 21.5" happy campers?

Bought my 21.5" last August and wish I'd made the change sooner !

Decided to get Applecare this week for that ' moment ' which hopefully will never arise. Bought it for £49.99 :) on Amazon ! All legit and successfully registered.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
always nice to hear about people happy with their Apple computers

Thanks for posting this thread. It's great to read a postive thread about new Macs. I've slowly come around about the new design iMac (the 27"), but need to wait until next year before I upgrade.

I'm still chugging along on my 2010 21.5" iMac.

I'll keep reading. Enjoy your new iMacs! :)

chilady1

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
Northeast
Although I did not buy a new iMac, I did find a 2011 iMac (pristine condition, damn near never used) and I am thrilled with the machine. Hands down, this is the best computer I have ever owned. At some point, I will upgrade to the latest model but honestly, it will be some time. Got a steal from a Craiglist seller and just couldn't be happier.

Glad to hear folks enjoying their new iMacs - I have enjoyed reading the comments regarding the clarity of the screen, the fast processing and overall the various ways to configure the computer. I am learning from all of you.

0hai

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
I bought the 21.5 tonight and the sound is amazing. I also couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.