Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintjude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
I count 30 pins on the standard iPod dock connector. Audio out takes 3. Firewire takes 7. USB takes 5 (assuming no overlap.) That means that half of the pins have no known use...yet. That leaves 15 channels for other uses...such as video. There's a lot of future design flexibility in this package.

Still, I have to share in the skepticism that a video iPod is a good idea. The real screaming problem in my opinion has nothing at all to do with the usefulness of a small video screen; it would be handy to be able to carry video with you for display on TVs. Rather, the problem with a video iPod is that it would probably only support Quicktime formats. I have no use for a device that can't play DivX, and to TRULY be useful, it would need to support the .ogg and matroska package formats (for subtitles, multiple audio tracks, etc.) QT MPEG4? Mmm, ya...out of perhaps a thousand video files, I think I have one of those. Maybe two. Apple did the smart thing by making the original iPod compatible with generic MP3s (none of this Sony ATRAC bull); if there's a video iPod coming, the smart thing to do will be to keep it compatible with the most popular video formats. If a video iPod couldn't play .avi, I'd have no use for it (nor would most of the tech-savvy demographic that is most likely to buy such a device.)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
saintjude said:
I count 30 pins on the standard iPod dock connector. Audio out takes 3. Firewire takes 7. USB takes 5 (assuming no overlap.) That means that half of the pins have no known use...yet. That leaves 15 channels for other uses...such as video. There's a lot of future design flexibility in this package.
Here's a link to the complete pinout of the dock connector. http://ipodlinux.org/Dock_Connector

Besides the fact that video out is already defined for the Photo, you also neglected that there are serial lines and audio line out lines (for remotes/car kits/etc...)

This leaves only 3 pins whose use is not already defined.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.