Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Since same day pickup wasn’t available at my local Apple Store, went with courier delivery, which is a few blocks away from where I live. A bit nervous given some horror stories out there. Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: kitt9000

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I just canceled my in store pickup for tomorrow (30 minutes away) and reordered with courier delivery this afternoon for $9.

Reactions: Unprocessed1

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Wow, is this weird ?

No pickups today within 6 Apple Stores.

My mobile app, I found it is available today via $9 courier.

Something is strange / weird - why would nothing available for today at the Apple Stores all of a sudden become available by courier today ?

Does this courier company have stock that Apple store doesn't ??

Will see if this is real.

$9 is nothing for my cost of time!
Screenshot 2022-09-16 at 7.13.54 AM.jpg

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
The people that deliver my stuff from Apple are the same who will deliver you food. They pick the item up at the Apple store and deliver it to you.
Exactly correct!

My office was surprised to see an Uber driver deliver my phone on time!

Order page showed 11:30-1:30. Uber driver showed up at 12 noon.

Driver needed a signature.

I am amazed for $9USD - saved my time and gasoline!

Wonder why I never did this in the past!
Screenshot 2022-09-16 at 3.15.13 PM.png

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I wish my local store offered courier delivery.
Is it a local Apple Store policy or is it out of range for Uber ?

My Uber driver amazed my office - they thought it was my lunch :D

Phone was brand new, still sealed, in a bubble wrap envelope.

I wonder how Apple allocates courier delivery vs store stock because the stores were out but courier delivery said delivery today for $9.
IMG_9536.JPG

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Is it a local Apple Store policy or is it out of range for Uber ?

My Uber driver amazed my office - they thought it was my lunch :D

Phone was brand new, still sealed, in a bubble wrap envelope.

I wonder how Apple allocates courier delivery vs store stock because the stores were out but courier delivery said delivery today for $9.
View attachment 2068316
I don't know if it is store policy but, Uber does work my area.

• Wow
Reactions: 4sallypat

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
Courier delivery was available for me tomorrow. I snagged a 256 silver.

I have one coming from UPS next week as well (routing snafu - should have had today). I didn’t want to wait for it. Haha. Is it easy to return this one? Anyone with experience.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
That’s what I did. Delivery today for $9 instead of pickup at my Apple Store tomorrow 30 minutes away.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4sallypat

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Since same day pickup wasn’t available at my local Apple Store, went with courier delivery, which is a few blocks away from where I live. A bit nervous given some horror stories out there. Anyone else in the same boat?
I am one of those horror stories.

I ordered a phone for courier delivery to my job on Friday. I refreshed the order status page and saw that the driver had been assigned and a phone number. I immediately texted the phone number to say that to text me when they are close so I can meet outside and more precise directions on the location since my job has multiple entrances. I did not hear back at all. I was getting worried after about an hour since I even tried to call the number and no one picked up.

At this point, an hour into the two-hour delivery window, the Apple Store app updated to show a map. I noticed that the car was in Stamford, Connecticut (I work in Westchester County, New York) - which is about 40 minutes east of me/the store in itself.

I followed the car on the map and it definitely was driving to the Apple store for pickup. The courier arrived at the Apple store a little before 4:00pm (the delivery window cutoff time).

I saw the car pull away from the mall and then the order was marked delivered. The Apple store itself is about 10-15 minutes from my job.

I waited outside my job just in case the person was still coming, but at this point, I could not call the number since my order was “complete” in Uber’s eyes.

I went back inside and called Apple and on their end, they see it as cancelled. I asked why and I was told that if the order can not be delivered within the window, it is cancelled and the person has to return it back to the store. I then said that I never received anything saying it is cancelled (Apple really needs to get on this part). The person at Apple thought it was odd how anything I checked shows the order as delivered still.

I was told that within 24 hours, the order should update to cancelled and I would be refunded. I contacted them again yesterday since if the person did not return it after “cancelling,” then clearly it will not be returned.

I still had heard nothing for the order. They are now escalating it. But honestly I am freaking out since I did this through the Upgrade Program and so it is not a simple charge I can dispute with my credit card if Apple does not actually refund me since I have read that they do not always side with the buyer. I have the screenshots of the texts with no response and the chat with Apple as well ensuring me that I will get my money back. So at the very least, I have the “receipts” to fight this if I need to!

• Wow
Reactions: Doug Vann

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Wow, is this weird ?

No pickups today within 6 Apple Stores.

My mobile app, I found it is available today via $9 courier.

Something is strange / weird - why would nothing available for today at the Apple Stores all of a sudden become available by courier today ?

Does this courier company have stock that Apple store doesn't ??

Will see if this is real.

$9 is nothing for my cost of time!
View attachment 2066973
I think it is more that the store can only handle so many people in so many hours. So that is not necessarily reflective of their stock, but how many they can process in their retail hours. So they have this option. Which I tried and it failed and now I have no phone and no update on what will happen with my money.

Reactions: internetrando

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
I'm sure there are scamming and using loopholes to get free phones. What's the point of using the upgrade program when it's way easier and cheaper and safer to use the Apple Card?

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
I'm sure there are scamming and using loopholes to get free phones. What's the point of using the upgrade program when it's way easier and cheaper and safer to use the Apple Card?
How would that work? Apple does not let a device leave their store unless it has been paid for.

Courier delivery has worked for me in the past. The delivery driver picks up your items and delivers them directly to you; just like when you order food.

Reactions: drew0020

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
How would that work? Apple does not let a device leave their store unless it has been paid for.

Courier delivery has worked for me in the past. The delivery driver picks up your items and delivers them directly to you; just like when you order food.

It obviously worked for the OP's uber driver. You just have to time it right with the cutoff time.

Reactions: Tara Luvs Apple

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I mean, there is a point if one does not have an Apple Card. Then clearly I can not use that as a method of payment. But I did not realize we were to judge/criticize.

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
It obviously worked for the OP's uber driver. You just have to time it right with the cutoff time.
For my order, I was a little annoyed that for a store that was 15 minutes away, they let a driver 40 minutes away take the order. In a perfect world (meaning I would have gotten the phone), the time it was assigned, the person got to the mall, picked it up, and then came to me, two hours is tight and that is not counting if there was traffic on the interstates.

Tara Luvs Apple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008

In my case, the order was paid for and then whether delivered or cancelled, the person then has to bring it back to the store. However, if they do not, then they kept the phone.

There seems to be no consequence for the driver. Like I should be able to rate the person to say scam/stolen or escalate it. For Apple just to be like we can write this off is not right since the person gets away with stealing.

MaxGolden12

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2020
I’ve personally used the same day courier service several times without any issues here in Canada.

NTA1974

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2023
I ordered a Macbook Air and decided that $9 for same day delivery by courier was fine. I even communicated with the driver via text. I saw them driving. The trip was supposed to take 17 minutes between 11-1pm. At 2pm I followed them on the map and saw they were at 7-11, then they were at a hotel. I swear this driver was going anywhere but my house. Finally, at 2:30pm I got a message my new mac was returned back to the Apple store and I was getting a refund. WTF!!! I'm picking up whatever I buy from the Mac store from now on. There should be a way to report the drivers or at least penalize them for not communicating. I was told there may be inclement weather issues. Fat chance. Here in Las Vegas it's a sunny 106 degree day. What weather is preventing them from driving 20 minutes from the Apple Store? Get a new courier company!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.