Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skyblader333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
I have been searching everywhere to fix this problem and tried multiple solutions to no avail. Initially it was caused by kernel_task process, which I attempted to look for any 3rd party kernel extensions, there were none. I also tried to remove the plist file from the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext, but I couldn't find the model macbookpro9,2 there. It went up to Macbookpro 8,3 only.

I tried doing SMC reset twice, and reformatted the macbook, so it's an entirely fresh copy but the problem still persists, except the kernel_task doesn't appear on the activity monitor anymore.

Extra information, safe mode is equally as slow, if not slower, and there's always a long loading bar before the mac starts. It's running on OS X Yosemite, 10.10.5.

I'm beginning to think it's a hardware issue. I'm about to get professional help from Apple , this is my last resort before I do so. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Have you run the hardware test to see if any error codes are thrown up?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Boot into safe mode to see if it is a login item. Stop messing with plists until you have a good idea what is wrong and its cause.

skyblader333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
Boot into safe mode to see if it is a login item. Stop messing with plists until you have a good idea what is wrong and its cause.

I already mentioned it is equally as slow (meaning it has the same problem) in safe mode.

And I haven't messed with the plists. Some say it's a official working fix, some say technicians use that fix, I've read up on problems it may cause such as the mac not being to handle high temperatures properly, etc. and such but I HAVEN'T done anything because I cannot locate the plist. I'm just putting it out there in case anybody suggests that as a solution.

Thanks for the replies so far, I'm going to try the apple hardware test on a different network when I can, and to an apple store when I can.

skyblader333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015

But is it still kernel_task running 100% when in safe mode? That wasn't clear if you checked...

It's incredibly slow in safe mode, takes 5-10 minutes to login, another 10 minutes to perform any action, such as bringing up launchpad. Every time I look away for too long, it sleeps and I gotta restart my mac, because it doesn't wake up. But I remember I've checked before, and if my memory doesn't fail me then yes, it is.

skyblader333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 597

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Yeah it's an error accessing the network before the online AHT. I tried it on a different network and it worked. The result is attached. So I guess it is indeed a hardware issue.. Do I have to replace the motherboard?
What was the error? The attached picture was too small to read, at least for me.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Yeah it's an error accessing the network before the online AHT. I tried it on a different network and it worked. The result is attached. So I guess it is indeed a hardware issue.. Do I have to replace the motherboard?

IPBR means that the sensor that reads the current on the Power Bus (PBUS) is not being read. Any time the SMC cannot read a sensor it "protects" the hardware by running that kernel task, using up all your resources. There used to be a plist hack but that was on older pre-2012 models I believe. You either need to have someone fix your logic board (who knows what they are doing) or get it replaced by Apple. Apple won't repair the board... they only swap boards.

Usually sensor failures are related to liquid spills but not always.

skyblader333

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
IPBR means that the sensor that reads the current on the Power Bus (PBUS) is not being read. Any time the SMC cannot read a sensor it "protects" the hardware by running that kernel task, using up all your resources. There used to be a plist hack but that was on older pre-2012 models I believe. You either need to have someone fix your logic board (who knows what they are doing) or get it replaced by Apple. Apple won't repair the board... they only swap boards.

Usually sensor failures are related to liquid spills but not always.

That seems to be it. Thanks so much for your input and everyone else, I guess I know where to go from here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.