Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Recently I crashed my 14PM's back glass when I got out of the car...
I have AppleCare and would like to know, with the reduced excess now, if anyone who had their phones Applecared recently share do they still do the back system swap, where they change the whole system including battery, logic board and frame, or they just swap the back glass?

Last edited:

bob_zz123

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2017
I believe they can just replace the back glass on iPhone 14 models, assuming no internals are damaged (based on their diagnostics), rather than the back system swap they did on earlier models.

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
I know that 14 has been designed such that the back glass could be swapped easily, but Pro Max's back glass seems to be still glued to the back plate?

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I know that 14 has been designed such that the back glass could be swapped easily, but Pro Max's back glass seems to be still glued to the back plate?
Yes, just the 14/14 Plus have the more repairable design. The Pro and the Pro Max have the same design as the 13 Pro and Pro Max, which means it’s harder to repair the black glass and therefore more expensive.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Recently I crashed my 14PM's back glass when I got out of the car...
I have AppleCare and would like to know, with the reduced excess now, if anyone who had their phones Applecared recently share do they still do the back system swap, where they change the whole system including battery, logic board and frame, or they just swap the back glass?
If you have Applecare+ I would just ask for an express replacement.

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Yes, just the 14/14 Plus have the more repairable design. The Pro and the Pro Max have the same design as the 13 Pro and Pro Max, which means it’s harder to repair the black glass and therefore more expensive.
but the cost of a back glass repair for a AppleCare warranted phone is the same regardless of the model

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Yes I was referring to the cost for AppleCare repair...but I don't know if they still replace the whole rear system or just the glass
They will either replace the rear chassis and swap over everything from your device or replace the phone with a refurbished unit. Apple doesn't replace rear glass on any Pro models... As I stated in my post, express replacement is the easiest, fastest way to deal with an issue like this and most likely they will send a refurbished device and not repair your phone..

Reactions: RRC and Apple_Tiger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.