Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Hello all, my 20" imac (iSight) seems to enjoy randomly going to sleep, kicking the fans into full throttle and continuing until I wake it (which it takes a loooonng time to do)
The CPU, GPU, HDD temps are all within operating specs (130º, 120º, and 90º, respectively)
Any ideas about how to stop this?
Its 'a drivin' me crazy!

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Kingsly said:
Hello all, my 20" imac (iSight) seems to enjoy randomly going to sleep, kicking the fans into full throttle and continuing until I wake it (which it takes a loooonng time to do)
The CPU, GPU, HDD temps are all within operating specs (130º, 120º, and 90º, respectively)
Any ideas about how to stop this?
Its 'a drivin' me crazy!

The machine is powering down as the SMU is thinking that its overheating. You should take it to a Apple Authorised Service Provider and get it fixed.

Its worth re-setting the SMU also, I beleve that involves leaving it un plugged for 5 mins, or holding the power button then plugging the power cord in and releasing the button.

iPaul

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
unplug any USB devices besides your mouse and your keyboard........i had this SAME issue and it was because a USB Flash drive was preventing the computer from completely going to sleep

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
It's a fault, if it was running at those temperatures, you'll have no processor, GPU and HDD left. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.