Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
UK
Hi guys and gals,

I'm getting a bit confused here so hoping someone can clarify this for me.

I beta tested iOS5b1 initially and created an icloud account, i used a bit of a throwaway name for the email address, say herpderp@me.com. This has linked with my Apple ID which is my hotmail address.

I can login to me.com now with the herpderp@me.com email address and it will locate my iPhone.

I would like to create a proper @me.com email address in future and actually start using it when iOS 5 comes out. My question is:

When iOS 5 comes out fully will I be able to create a new @me.com email address and link that to my Apple ID (without a throwaway name) or am I stuck with this one forever?

Any help appreciated, I did a search but couldn't get a clear answer. Hopefully i'm not stuck with the email address i've chosen.

PaulyD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
UK
Understand this is not the busiest of sub forums but does anyone know or is it all "up in the air" until Apple release the final version?

Ron Blatto'd

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
I Imagine

The only way you will be able to create a new iCloud account will be to establish a new Apple ID. I created one and began using it for e-mail and calendars.

I cannot change my Apple ID from my gmail to my new @me account at this time because Apple states @me domain is reserved for MobileMe memebers. I'm sure that will change once iCloud becomes fully operational. I plan on getting away from Google sync and relying solely on iCloud for backups once iCloud becomes fully functional.

Hope this helps.
Jose

aaronchow

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
I am pretty much in the same boat. I have a MobileMe account that I am using, but I also created another @me address when I played with the beta, so now I have a fake @me address that associates with my iCloud account and my MobileMe account will not integrate to my iCloud account in future.

I really hope that Apple will allow us to remove/delete account when the service goes public this Fall

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.