Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goldengel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Switzerland
Hi

I am new in this forum and also in iOS. I created a small app for WP7. Now I tried to create same with iPhone. In WP7 I can submit a url to an automatically created URL to work with Notifications.

In iPhone I read a lot about creating own servers just for Notification or paying money for third party Notification service?

I have my own IIS7 Server but I can not believe that it is that difficult to just send notifications to the iPhone.

Please, can you help me to include notification without charging to others?

Regards

goldengel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Switzerland
Hi dejo.

Thanks for your reply. In your link there is written:
To develop and deploy the provider side of an application for push notifications, you must get SSL certificates from the iOS Developer Program portal.

But that is very complicated in comparision to the WP7 where I just make 2 calls (1 for getting url and one for switching service on/off). Because Apple always makes things easyier I cannot believe that I have to make an SSL server or 3rd party SSL server with installation. I am sure, I did not understand something, because all used methods sounds too new for me.

Perhaps it would be the most easy way to look into an code sample with simple notification without getting charged from 3rd party server?

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
Note that local notifications are a lot simpler than push notifications. For push notifications, you'll have to run / rent a server and work quite a bit, local notifications are very simple but require iOS 4.x. Personally, I'd use local notifications anytime over push notifications :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.