Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hmedia

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Raid0

Hi Dalton,

Firstly i wish to thank you for putting in the time and creating this tool, it's a very handy thing to have in my toolkit.

Second, would you have any insight as to how the recovery partition can be created on a RAID 0 ? (AppleRAID)

More specifically - i am trying to enable file vault on the RAID.

More specifically again still - I can actually get a bootable working RAID, and i can successfully encrypt it, i just can't BOOT from it, or AUTHRESTART into it.

My goal is a 710GB Raid 0 with a pre-boot unlock. Damn you apple.

I have tried all the following;

1)
- Format 3 SSD's, leave 10GB space free on each, and create a RAID 0 of 710GB and converted it into a corestorage logical volume group & volume of 710GB called "iMacHDD"
- Tried running the installer from a USB booted Mac OSX - it got to the reboot and said cannot create recovery volume

2)
- Format the 710GB RAID and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy a bootable OS X onto the raid.
- Raid volume boots up fine, but FileVault refuses to encrypt drive because no recovery partition is present
- Tried a few tools including "Recovery Partition Creator 3.5" and your tool, to manually create a Recovery Partition. Both fail. RPC3.5 just quits, and your tool hangs at about 3/4.

Which leads me to;

3)
- Manually encrypt the 710GB RAID using diskutil CS createLV and the -stdinpassphrase option to encrypt the drive, which works successfully.
- Boot into OSX install DVD or Recovery USB disk, and attempt to install onto this drive. It says "this drive needs to be unlocked first" so i enter the password, and it unlocks, and allows me to install this time, however, it still doesn't create a recovery partition, and it hangs at reboot because it tries to boot an encrypted drive without unlocking it. Stupid damn thing.

I CAN however install a minimal OS to disk0s2 (20GB), enable file vault, and then create my 710GB RAID as a secondary disk (not startup) and encrypt it, and add the pass to my keychain so it opens my DATA drive at boot - BUT - I need to relocate my home folder, and I have apps that rely on data being in certain places and i really didn't want long winded workarounds.

In short;

- I can install OSX onto a RAID 0
- I can encrypt my RAID 0
- OSX sees the RAID 0 as a bootable option but doesn't let me change the startup disk to it because it says it can't modify the helper partition.
- The Pre-Boot authentication screen comes up to unlock my small 20GB partition, but i can't find any way to trick it into unlocking the 710GB one, and pointing to boot from it.

i KNOW there's a way to do it. This must be a restriction, not a limitation. By virtue of the fact that the CS drivers are loaded pre-boot, and it sees my encrypted drive, i know there's a way it can be done. But i have wasted days and days on it now.

Even a point in the right direction (i.e. "you're dealing with compiled binaries here...forget it" or "there'll be a plist buried in a package somewhere ..") would be massively appreciated and i get the feeling you'd be the one guy with the know-how.

Thanks in advance for any help.

hmedia

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
This is the error i get (and the same error when i try change to this startup disk)

Creating recovery partition: finished
Error (async): Some information was unavailable during an internal lookup (-69808)
Cleaning up
"disk9" unmounted.
"disk9" ejected.
hdiutil: eject failed - No such file or directory
ucopyRPS: copying files for booter: Operation not supported by device
Failed to update helper partitions.

cammykool

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Anaheim, California
u3a6e5un.jpg

It made me one.

mooninite

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Error messages - Recover-1.9 not showing up like above pic

Dalton,

I ran your Recovery Editor App and selected the option to create a full offline installer but it didn't work.

I immediately got an error that said I have to have at least 12GB of free space to do it. Well, I have 300 gigs of free space.

Can you please help me out with this?

Thanks
moon

Last edited:

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
I don't get it: Will this create a fully usable Mavericks Recovery partition or a Lion one with only the utilities available?

My Goal with my GM installed via USB is to get a fully usable system with a Recovery HD for Mavericks that can be updated if Apple push an update.

Will your script achieve this?

Thanks for your work!

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Dalton63841 wrote his stuff for DP1 because bootable usbs made for that system would not install a recovery partition.

But since then, apple made an executable file in DP4 called createinstallmedia which can be used to make a bootable usb which will install both mavericks DP4 or GM and a recovery partition at the same time.

To make the bootable USB of the GM, using this method:

Your 8 GB USB drive should be called Untitled and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The installer should be called Install OS X Mavericks.app and should be in your Applications folder.

Run this in terminal and wait about 20 minutes:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

You should see something like this:

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 100%...
Copying installer files to disk...
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.

You can then boot up from the USB by holding down the option key, then install the GM (and recovery partition) from the USB.

Last edited:

bibyfok

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
France
Dalton63841 wrote his stuff for DP1 because bootable usbs made for that system would not install a recovery partition.

But since then, apple made an executable file in DP4 called createinstallmedia which can be used to make a bootable usb which will install both mavericks DP4 or GM and a recovery partition at the same time.

Your 8 GB USB drive should be called Untitled and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The installer should be called Install OS X Mavericks.app and should be in your Applications folder.

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.

You can then boot up from the USB by holding down the option key, then install the GM (and recovery partition) from the USB.
Thanks but my prob is that I don't have a recovery cause I didn't install the GM using this method...

mooninite

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013

Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.

Thank you!!!

mr666

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Got this near the end in Terminal.....

->-[Local dmAsyncFinishedForDisk:mainError:detailError:dictionary:]: del callback: DADR=0x7fbe939005f0=disk0s3 errMain=-69736 errAux=0 infoDict=(null)
<--[Local dmAsyncFinishedForDisk:mainError:detailError:dictionary:]
Creating recovery partition: finished
Error (async): Couldn't attach disk image (-69736)
Cleaning up
"disk1" unmounted.
"disk1" ejected.
hdiutil: eject failed - No such file or directory

rawdvm

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Dalton,
Thanks for the great info. I used your original recovery.sh script & it worked perfectly. However, I now have 2 Recovery HD partitions. Before I ran recovery.sh, diskutil list displayed this (Not formatted correctly):

MacBook-Pro:~ raw$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 998.7 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot 650.0 MB disk0s3

*Note: The Apple_Boot partition has no Name
After running recovery.sh, diskutil list displayed this (Not formatted correctly):

MacBook-Pro:~ raw$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 998.7 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Apple_HFS Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s4

Do I need both disk0s3 & disk0s4? Or, can I delete one of them? If so, which one?
Thanks again!

Mjsais

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Would cloning a recovery partition work?

I have a Lion recovery partition in a second drive (i keep my original lion drive intact), plus I have an over iMac running maverick that has a working recovery partition. Would cloning either of those partitions using CarbonCopy to my current Mavericks Startup drive (currently lacks recovery partition) work? All I want to do is have access to findmymac.

k.iUser

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
how to undo this terminal command?

Hey all, I am new to the mac world. After i lost my recovery HD, I copied the script and saved the recovery.sh in the download folder then i typed the command in terminal. But I got no recovery partition until I re-downloaded Mavericks. The point is Does the command I copy pasted in terminal change anything in my Mac? and how to undo it or remove it or cancel its effect or write write another command to cancel it or restore terminal clean without any command?

Thanks for your help :)

aol

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2002
Internet Recovery creates the recovery partition

I was uncomfortable using the Lion recovery HD update on a late 2013 rMBP which, as of Mavericks 10.9.1, uses a custom OS install. Other tips on creating a bootable USB stick fail for this model at this time (presumably until 10.9.2 combines all the right kexts and so forth). Meanwhile, I'd followed another tip to create the bootable USB stick and install it needing to completely wipe the internal HD, but this process also removed the recovery partition. Needing to recreate it, I found this tip. What ended up working well for me was, rather than use a bootable USB stick, I used Internet Recovery.

If you boot while holding COMMAND+R while on a wifi or ethernet network, you can use Internet Recovery to reinstall Mavericks to a 2013 rMBP and this process will create the recovery partition. Here's a link to the Apple Support page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

skwoodwiva

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2015
Thanks for that...

In other news, I built an ApplescriptObjC application that can:

1. Check whether or not you have a recovery partition.
2. Destroy the recovery partition and add that space back into the root volume.
3. Create a standard recovery partition.
4. Create an offline recovery partition.

You choose which one you want to do, and if it is option 3 or 4 you choose your InstallESD.dmg and it handles the rest. Works on Lion, ML, and Mavericks.

If anyone is interested in it just let me know.
Is it possible to create the offline version combined with the custom app version? I am on "Franken"-M.Lion MLPF 3.

Nevermind I see it is combined. Seems I should start with an Install Lion app.

Last edited:

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Yeah this worked. Amazing it is so hard to get this repair partition created on a fresh disk.

I did get Filevault 2 turned out w/o a repair partition (created a HFS+ encrypted disk using Disk Utility on the Mavericks installer. Even unencrypted it and activated Filevault again. No repair partition).

Anyway:
- Downloaded Lion Recovery Update v1.0 linked.
- Found the installer.app - This was tricky for me since I have made USB installers for each of the OS. I did find my 10.9 Mavericks install.app stowed away - then I pulled out the InstallESD.dmg.
- Saved the script. Textedit doesn't work since it dosen't have a straight text option. I just used vi in the terminal.

Thanx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.