Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acannon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
I run a computer lab for a high school. We have about 150 computers in need of a new clone.
I recently upgraded to El Capitan and I have found endless literature on how to clone using previous platforms. But none for this new system.

I have been working on this for over a month, I have downloaded super duper, and carbon copy cloner. I have tried to make a disk image and set it up on another computer. When I did disk image it was finally in a .dmg file. But it still would not transfer properly to the other computer when I did command+r to get to disk utility. I know how to put a clone on a new computer, I just do not know how to make the clone itself.

Nothing I seem to do works. I do not know if I am missing a step, but it is just not working.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Why are you trying processes that are OK with one or two Macs, but not much more than a time-waster when working with dozens of Macs?
Have you looked at any of the network install solutions, such as DeployStudio?

acannon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
I will look into both of those, I had only tried the other processes because that was where I was told to start and I am new to this. Thank you both

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
IMO you have two options here.

1) Clone the internal drive of your "source" Mac to an external drive with Carbon Copy Cloner. Boot from the external drive on the "target" Mac and clone it back to the internal drive with CCC.

2) Set up DeployStudio on an OS X Server. This will allow you to capture the image to the server, then deploy it out to your client Macs. This will be MUCH faster for you once you get it set up. You can additionally automate things like joining a domain, etc.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
IMO you have two options here.

1) Clone the internal drive of your "source" Mac to an external drive with Carbon Copy Cloner. Boot from the external drive on the "target" Mac and clone it back to the internal drive with CCC.

2) Set up DeployStudio on an OS X Server. This will allow you to capture the image to the server, then deploy it out to your client Macs. This will be MUCH faster for you once you get it set up. You can additionally automate things like joining a domain, etc.

I am curious, can these images on the server be upgraded? As in updates to the OS from Apple? I know there are counterparts in the Windows world but wasn't aware if it is possible on the OSX side. Thanks for any info or if you can point me in the right direction.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I am curious, can these images on the server be upgraded? As in updates to the OS from Apple? I know there are counterparts in the Windows world but wasn't aware if it is possible on the OSX side. Thanks for any info or if you can point me in the right direction.

AFAIK no, there is nothing analogous to offline image servicing like there is in Windows. You'd have to boot the image to make any updates or changes, then clone it back to the server.

That said, I believe DeployStudio CAN automatically install a package (or multiple packages) as part of the deployment process.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
AFAIK no, there is nothing analogous to offline image servicing like there is in Windows. You'd have to boot the image to make any updates or changes, then clone it back to the server.

That said, I believe DeployStudio CAN automatically install a package (or multiple packages) as part of the deployment process.

Thanks very much for the info. I have something new to investigate. Again - thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.