Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Windows user, but using itunes.

I want to add my E:\mp3 directory where all my music is (from cds, other sources, amazon, etc, not itune purchases) to my itunes library. I figure I should just make a brand new library in itunes and import this folder.

What is the easiest way to do this? Alt-open itunes, create library?
Also, when I do this, do I need to specify in itunes preferances my itunes media folder location?

A friend told me the following "" If you're willing to let iTunes take control, then go into iTunes preferences (Edit/Preferences/Advanced) and specify the iTunes Media Folder location (default is C:\..\My Music\iTunes) and check the two options "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library". When you add your existing .mp3 files to iTunes, it will create copies of your files and then name and organize them according the the metadata in your tags. ""

What I don't like about this is, I don't want to duplicate my 10+ gig music collection on my hard drive (as in why do I need 2 of everything)....

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
A quick web search found Multiple libraries in iTunes. This still works.

Remember that the libraries are separate so you will need to switch libraries to use media in that library.

If you turn off the the 2 options your friend told you to set, it won't duplicate the items in your mp3 folder. But you do have to remember that that is where iTunes is looking for the music.

Why do you want to make a separate library?

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
The library I have now (700 songs) are basically duplicates

What I've done is drag most listened to songs to my current itunes library, those are matched and sent to the cloud. So everything in my current library in itunes are on itunes match. What I want to do is have all my current songs on my computer in my itunes library, and then just specify which songs I want matched/sent to the cloud to listen to on other devices........

If I add my e:\mp3 folder to current library, im thinking those 700 songs in there would cause duplicates

My ultimate goal is to have my E:\mp3 as my itunes library, and have itunes manage the folder structure, album artwork, etc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.