Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doox00

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
New to Mac, how do you create desktop shortcuts and rename folders? Also is there a way to add/remove items from the taskbar launcher thing on the bottom?

thanks

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Make shortcuts: highlight whatever you want to make a shortcut to, press Command + L (or select "Make Alias" from the File menu).

Rename: Highlight what you want to rename, press "Enter". You should be able to enter text.

Add/Remove from Dock: Click and drag it off the dock, then release.

doox00

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Make shortcuts: highlight whatever you want to make a shortcut to, press Command + L (or select "Make Alias" from the File menu).

Rename: Highlight what you want to rename, press "Enter". You should be able to enter text.

Add/Remove from Dock: Click and drag it off the dock, then release.

easy enough, thanks! :)

Also, how do you designate which space an app opens up on?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
System Preferences > Exposé & Spaces > Spaces > Application Assignments

spaces-preferences-pane.jpg

from http://macinjay.wordpress.com/2007/11/29/mac-os-x-leopard-spaces/

doox00

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Ran into a problem with spaces. I have two installs of an application, I run two instances of it, one from each location. Problem is adding it in spaces (selecting the first instance from one location and the 2nd instance from the other location) is it only adds one of them, it will not allow me to put both in there because of same name/executable? Anyway to get both of these added in there?

doox00

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Try it via renaming one application.

before: iTunes.app

after: iTunes2.app

Just tried it, nope.. still wont add the second one.. hmm
There a way to move an app to another space after you launch it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.