Creating Splash Animation

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by iLoveDeveloping, Oct 20, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Hey,

Just trying to create an animated splash screen for an App i have at the moment, but i am getting really stuck, i need advice on two things,

1. can i put in a .gif file to play on start up of the App? If not, what files can i use? (my Favorite "intro screen" is from Rolando with the clapping hands, anyone know it?) i want to make something like that with a sound..

2. How on earth do i put a sound in to play when the intro Splash screen plays?
    Is it just like a SystemSoundID thing but linking it to startup instead of a Touch?

Thanks..

2. Guest

Darkroom

the image that appears while the app launches from springboard and loads is a static .png file named "Default.png". read this.

3. macrumors member

chbeer

The animations at the start of games are mostly movies played with the iPhone movie player. Animations like the startupscreen of ConvertBot are mostly simple Core Animations.

Create a Default.png that looks like the first frame of your movie and start the movie as the first action in your app.

4. macrumors regular

Well duh.... :D everyone knows that, a splash screen is not a Default screen!! it comes after it... i didn't ask about a Default screen.. :p

Cool thank you!! That i did not know!! :) i will give that a go... Thank you very much..! :)

5. macrumors regular

Have a movie made with this code:
    Code:
    NSString *path = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"" ofType:@""];
    MPMoviePlayerController *theMovie = [[MPMoviePlayerController alloc] initWithContentURL: [NSURL fileURLWithPath:path]];
    theMovie.movieControlMode = MPMovieControlModeHidden;
    theMovie.scalingMode = MPMovieScalingModeAspectFit;
    [theMovie play];

Can i use this as the start up screen to play a very short 'intro splash'? And how would i link this as the first action in my App?

6. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Have you tried putting that code in applicationDidFinishLaunching:?

Also, just be aware that a portion of your customers are not going to want to sit through an animated splash screen before they can start to use the application.

7. macrumors 6502

NickFalk

About as useful as advice gets.
    No matter how good your animation is, after 4-5 viewings (at best) people will be annoyed. Also, adding a movie-file will increase the size of the app, taking it longer to load: Another nuisance.

8. macrumors regular

Yes i no, it sux to wait, my favorite game is Rolando, and they have a killer of a long startup time!! But i think it is ok, its like 3 seconds, the App itself takes that long to start up i was just thinking, might as well fill that time with some App space for myself, having the App launch exactly when its over.. I will see how it goes, i will use it a few times and see if im ok with it..

9. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Instead of just filling the time, is there anything you can do to increase the startup speed? That's probably something all users would appreciate.