Cross compiling

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by DenBeke, May 3, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Can I compile apps for FreeBSD on my Mac?
    What do I need to do that?

2. macrumors 6502a

You're better off setting up a FreeBSD virtual machine, in VirtualBox or something, and compiling directly on FreeBSD.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

4. macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

For the most part, configuring, building, and installing open-source software is almost exactly the same.

That being said, you most likely will run into dependancies, and that can cause headaches.

The best way to install open-source software is to use a package manager, like MacPorts. There's also Homebrew, which I haven't tried, and Fink, which I don't know if it supports 64-bit builds in most of their packages.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

of course, but I need(ed) to compile for FreeBSD...

6. macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

What, specifically, did you need from FreeBSD? OS X does have some BSD code in it.

7. macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you want to do the compile on your Mac, and then have a binary come out that will run on FreeBSD. Right?

That IS possible. Last time I did it (Linux compiling for AIX) it took building GCC from source and then the various libraries. It was not a small effort. Today, I would agree with the suggestion earlier to install FreeBSD on a vm and compile there. Much more straightforward and fewer headaches.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

It's for a server, in the datacenter...

Indeed...

9. macrumors 6502

Cross compiling from OS X is popular with Raspberry Pi hackers (though typically cross compiling Linux/Linux executables). You might want to check their forum.