Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ak004m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I was planning on saving a little cash and buying the additional RAM for my soon-to-be ordered 20" iMac but I wasnt sure which to go with.

Crucial has posted compatible RAM at PC2-4200 and PC2-5300 for the new 20" iMac and I just wanted to make sure this would work as the stock and expansion RAM through Apple is only offered at 4200. Think there'd be a noticeable difference in getting the faster one if that's correct? There's only a difference of $12 or $15 pending 1gig or 512mb sticks, worth it?

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
ak004m said:
I was planning on saving a little cash and buying the additional RAM for my soon-to-be ordered 20" iMac but I wasnt sure which to go with.

Crucial has posted compatible RAM at PC2-4200 and PC2-5300 for the new 20" iMac and I just wanted to make sure this would work as the stock and expansion RAM through Apple is only offered at 4200. Think there'd be a noticeable difference in getting the faster one if that's correct? There's only a difference of $12 or $15 pending 1gig or 512mb sticks, worth it?

I understand the 5300 will just run at the lower speed. I guess the reason for offering is so you can transfer to a future computer, which actually utilizes 5300.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
ak004m said:
Think there'd be a noticeable difference in getting the faster one if that's correct? There's only a difference of $12 or $15 pending 1gig or 512mb sticks, worth it?
When there is so little difference between the two, you might as well get the faster memory.

Bigger chance that the memory exceeds the minimum required specs with the faster memory, instead of being memory that just meets the minimum required specs.

Remember Apple has a history of updating firmware and the OS that renders marginal memory dead.

However, Crucial is usually good enough to help people out ...

Edit: of course it might be worth waiting for Apple to publish the developer docs and/or waiting for the machine.

The new iMac/PowerMac haven't been posted yet...

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/AppleHardware-date.html

only the PowerBooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.