Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
So my ipod came out of the car's glove compartment today a little worse for wear. It looks like the top was squeezed into the bottom and the bottom has bowed out a little bit.

First, the ipod still works.

Questions:

1) Anyone done this before? I'm worried things deteriorate.

2) Any ideas how to fix it?

3) Any danger of dust etc, getting in there and screwing things up?

Please help set my mind at ease...

thanks!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It's very good news that it works. How long that will continue to be true, no one knows. To try to ensure the longest life possible, I'd highly recommend a skin, like iskin's evo or evo2 (depending on which 'pod you have). That should help keep out "bad things" and reduce further shock to its system.

Treat it gingerly, and it should be fine. Drop it, and it's toast.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
fixed!

Essentially, I wedged my finger between the plastic and the metal. They separated enough to line back up and snap back into place. My fingernail was a little bit stuck, but it pulled out without too much trouble.

thank you for the other advice!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...when I saw the thread title I had visions of some poor iPod being totally mangled underneath an 18-wheeler truck...oh yeah!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...when I saw the thread title I had visions of some poor iPod being totally mangled underneath an 18-wheeler truck...oh yeah!

same here

i hope it continues to work without any problems

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jesuscandle said:
fixed!

Essentially, I wedged my finger between the plastic and the metal. They separated enough to line back up and snap back into place. My fingernail was a little bit stuck, but it pulled out without too much trouble.

thank you for the other advice!
Great to hear! I guess it wasn't as bad as I was picturing....

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
well, to be fair, I thikn I exaggerated a teensy bit with my thread title. I was very worried about it and wanted to do something folks would notice.

At any rate, near as I can tell, it essentially was sqeeuzed a little in the glove box and became misaligned. I think it's great to know that things like that are not the death knell of my little white box of happiness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.