Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ADrunkenMarcus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
I’m a bit ignorant but, as I understand it, you can use this app to protect files I.e. in iCloud by creating an encrypted vault (a feature Microsoft have on their cloud storage).

Does anyone use Crypomator or similar apps? If so, what do you use it for and do you have any feedback please?

Thanks,

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
First, it seems the app is named "Cryptomator", not "Crypomator". I mention this in case anyone is trying to find more info on the app.

Second, you can make an "encrypted vault" using nothing more than DiskUtility.app, which comes with every Mac.

You simply create an encryped disk image (a sparse bundle will be most efficient), then put all the files you want to protect on that disk image. When you want to edit the files, you open the disk-image, edit the files, then close the files and eject the image.

Third, you don't say who or what you're trying to defend against. Without that info, all anyone can suggest is general crypto software.

It's possible that Cryptomator is more convenient in some cases than working with a diskimage, but convenience shouldn't be the only criteria by which one evaluates cryptographic software.

I wrote a post recently about what distinguishes sparse bundle from sparse diskimage:

Where I mention "backup", you can substitute "sync to cloud". In other words, a sparse bundle will only copy modified band-files to the cloud, where a sparse image would need to copy the entire diskimage file.

ADrunkenMarcus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
First, it seems the app is named "Cryptomator", not "Crypomator".
Yes, Cryptomator - apologies for the typo.

Thank you for your comprehensive post, much appreciated. There's quite a bit for me to read through and consider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.