Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Why do people complain about this? Sure it was choppy when I started by own server with like 9 bots on a big map, but then I jumped into a scoutzknivez game that was very full and the macbook did just fine. Even faster than my desktop. And I for one don't think HL2 could run any better. It's great.

What complaints do people have on this game, then?

Also, I'm running the 1.83 with 2GB ram.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I put audio quality on low, and a lot of other things on low too simply because of the complaints. Next time I cross over to Windows and play a game I'll turn the settings up and see how it runs.:)

How do I check my FPS? Do you also have a Macbook?

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm thinking of buying a macbook as my secondary comp to my iMac. I want to make sure it plays cs:s sufficiently though.

To view your fps, go into the console (~) and type CL_Showfps 1.

If your console isn't enabled, you can enable it in the advance options.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Type ~ in the main menu in CS:S to get to the console and then type "net_graph 1" to turn the FPS stats on, and "net_graph 0" to turn them off.

If ~ doesn't work you have to enable the console in the advanced prefs somewhere (may be under the Keyboard options).

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Office may be where the complaints are coming from. It was very strange. In some rooms I'd get around 30 FPS, in some around 20, and in some as low as 7 or 8. Outside was typically 7 or 8.

I wonder if there is a setting that can be changed to help this...

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Eh, make sure you don't have anti-aliasing on, but other than that, I think cs:s on the MB is just a little on the slow side of the spectrum. Dissapointing.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
That's probably the case, oh well, I really only need my Half-Life 2, and a few CS:S maps.

I would suggest an iMac for your gaming needs, barr08.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah, I use my imac 20 inch 2.0 ghz with 2g ram for cs:s. I just thought it would be nice to have it on my portable too.

The imac runs cs:s beautifully. 60+ fps on highest settings.

Did you check the anti-aliasing? I think its in the video options. If it is on, you would be losing a lot of FPS.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I didn't check it, no. But Deathmatch ran great... perhaps this problem is CS:S specific and not the Macbooks... I have to believe that Deathmatch can take a lot more toll on a video card with the gravity guns and blowing up and everything.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Could you check the anti-aliasing next time you're on cs:s and pm me with whether it was on or not? This could make a big difference. Thanks a lot.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
It appears to be off now, but I also had it in full screen format... I'll switch to 16x9 and see how it works. I'll try some other levels later, too, any suggestions? I'll try:
cs_office
de_dust
de_dust2
fy_iceworld

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
There is something wrong with Dust on bootcamp. Everyone I talked to about cs:s on any bootcamp mac says they get reduced fps on Dust. On my iMac, the fps gets cut in half.

Dust2 works fine. Another popular map has the Dust problem. I don't remember which one it is. Anyways it's a weird issue.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Are you playing this under Parallels? Parallels has poor support for graphics as of right now, I believe.

When booting into Windows via BootCamp I get a solid 57fps with the occasional burst around 64... a lot of times it will change rapidly between 60-64.

I have a 2.0GHz with 512MB RAM.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Are you playing this under Parallels? Parallels has poor support for graphics as of right now, I believe.

We're talking Bootcamp. cs:s won't start in parallels I imagine.

When booting into Windows via BootCamp I get a solid 57fps with the occasional burst around 64... a lot of times it will change rapidly between 60-64.

On a regular MB? Wow thats a little promising.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Yeah, that is why I was shocked to find out that he was only getting in the 30s, and only 7 at times!!!

Maybe it was more related to the quality of the wireless connection, rather than the hardware. I have five full bars and I have 3mbps service here at home.

And yeah, Steam and CS will run under Parallels, but only in software mode since OpenGL isn't supported yet. And then, I only was getting in the 30's for fps.

Then again, I don't think I had the settings cranked up all the way... but still. 30 seems insanely low.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
im_to_hyper said:
Yeah, that is why I was shocked to find out that he was only getting in the 30s, and only 7 at times!!!

Maybe it was more related to the quality of the wireless connection, rather than the hardware. I have five full bars and I have 3mbps service here at home.

And yeah, Steam and CS will run under Parallels, but only in software mode since OpenGL isn't supported yet. And then, I only was getting in the 30's for fps.

Then again, I don't think I had the settings cranked up all the way... but still. 30 seems insanely low.
It's not the quality of my wireless connection. I promise.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.