Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Is it just me....

Or does Photochop CS2 suck ass?

I want to chop the Bridge up into little pieces and throw it out the window. Clunky. Slow. Ugly.

I get progress bars when cropping a measley 32mb JPEG on a dual 2.7 with 8GB of RAM and a two fairly fast scratch discs to choose from...

It's no faster than CS running my batches (yes, I timed it), and it is no more dual processor aware than CS....

Feel like I wated my money...maybe a fresh install.

Bah.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Photoshop CS2 crashed my PowerBook when I wanted to use the brush tool. So I uninstalled it. Now I use Graphic Converter and Macromedia Studio MX 2004...

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
You know, I really agree. People almost always complain when Adobe upgrades their apps, saying they aren't worth the money for the new features/are worse than previous versions. Now most of the time these are exaggerated claims (CS really is better than 7 no matter what anyone says :D ) but I don't see what CS2 offers that is so great. Bridge is crap, I don't think anyone can deny it. And it just overall seems slower to me. I guess it would be worth it for me to buy it if I used any of the new features, but I don't. My company has it and I think they wasted their money.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
jamdr said:
You know, I really agree. People almost always complain when Adobe upgrades their apps, saying they aren't worth the money for the new features/are worse than previous versions. Now most of the time these are exaggerated claims (CS really is better than 7 no matter what anyone says :D ) but I don't see what CS2 offers that is so great. Bridge is crap, I don't think anyone can deny it. And it just overall seems slower to me. I guess it would be worth it for me to buy it if I used any of the new features, but I don't. My company has it and I think they wasted their money.

I hate that freaking Bridge...OK I have to use another app just to view things?

It is suck ass slow with RAW images...it is ugly. I hate it.

And yes, CS was way better than 7. But this - dissapointing. Haven't tried out InDesign or Illustrator yet (too busy with image work), but hopefully they don't suck just as bad.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I love CS2. I use Photoshop nearly everyday on my PowerBook connected to a 17" external monitor and I've never had it crash on me.

The new Bridge certainly does taking getting use to, but if used properly it is actually a great resource.

CS2 is definitely better to CS. Illustrator for a start is more stable.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Bern said:
I love CS2. I use Photoshop nearly everyday on my PowerBook connected to a 17" external monitor and I've never had it crash on me.

The new Bridge certainly does taking getting use to, but if used properly it is actually a great resource.

CS2 is definitely better to CS. Illustrator for a start is more stable.

Glad you're having luck with it.

The beachballs and progress bars are driving me nuts.

I use this thing12-14 hours a day every day of the week. Short of a reinstall I may be backpeddling a version.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I find PS CS2 to be much better than 7, but I see no improvement from CS. I don't use Bridge or Illustrator.
GoLive CS2 which I use nearly everyday with PS is VERY slow, especially on opening. I'm on a G5 and it takes a good 15 bounces just to open the splash screen.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Bern said:
Illustrator for a start is more stable.

For me, that would be worth the price of upgrade alone but nobody seems to mention the good work being done with Acrobat -- a crucial app for my workflow.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Blue Velvet said:
For me, that would be worth the price of upgrade alone but nobody seems to mention the good work being done with Acrobat -- a crucial app for my workflow.

I think everybody, especially Mac users, take it (Acrobat) for granted. I'd be dead without it.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Daveway said:
I find PS CS2 to be much better than 7, but I see no improvement from CS. I don't use Bridge or Illustrator.
GoLive CS2 which I use nearly everyday with PS is VERY slow, especially on opening. I'm on a G5 and it takes a good 15 bounces just to open the splash screen.

So it takes a while to open. That doesn't really bother me, although I don't think I get as many as 15 bounces before it opens. All I care is when it does open it remains reliable and does what it should do, for me that is the case.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
My dad just installed CS2 on his Dual 867MHz G4 (in OSX 10.2.8) - a couple of filters occasionally cause a crash, but it seems to be very good. He is really impressed with it.

However, when we went to the Apple Store in Bluewater Shopping Centre, Kent, UK, they had CS2 running on a top-of-the-range G5 (with two 30" displays hooked up). My dad opened Bridge and found a folder full of images. And guess what happened....

Bridge crashed :eek:

He also managed to do the same on a G5 iMac there (after sheepishly walking away from the G5 ;) ). It seems that the file browser bugs from Photoshop 7 still haven't been fixed in Bridge...

Speed-wise, it seems to run OK on a Dual 867MHz G4 with two internal HD's, one firewire HD and 1.75Gb RAM in OSX 10.2.8. It's not blisteringly fast, but it's more than useable.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
jamdr said:
... I don't see what CS2 offers that is so great.
Then obviously you all need to read the manual. For one smart objects makes editing imported/placed files a life saver as it reads from the source. Something it should have done a LONG time ago. If you're a video editor there's the firewire plug-in. No more saving your work and opening it in another program to check it on a tv monitor. Vanishing point, spot healing, ... my company actually wrote a block of actions included in CS2 specifically for video editors. BTW, something must not be right with your setup (anyone in general) because it sounds as if my PowerBook runs circles around your machine running CS2. Try upping the RAM usage in the Prefs. Don't have too many undo/history states. Specifying a scratch disk does help if you have an extra drive. Make sure you have all updates installed too.

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
There is not reason why Bridge should take so many resourcers, it is basically just a file previewer, they should have optimised this much more, it is pathetic.

I run it on a 12" 1.33 PW and Bridge is too slow, the rest of CS2 is ok but slower than CS.

Can anybody tell how CS2 runs in a 32Mb video memory Mac (mac mini or ibook)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I hated Bridge at first as well. In fact I uninstalled CS2 and went back to CS - only to change my mind again and reinstall Photoshop CS2 :eek: I had to have Merge to HDR. Since I upgraded my Power Mac to 2GB of memory I've noticed it works a lot more smoothly, but I see that you have 8GB so that can't be the problem... I wish I could assign keyboard shortcuts in Bridge though. It seems as though it isn't finished IMHO. It's like they just threw it in. I'm starting to get used to Bridge, although I was just fine with Browse :(

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Cooknn said:
I hated Bridge at first as well. In fact I uninstalled CS2 and went back to CS - only to change my mind again and reinstall Photoshop CS2 :eek: I had to have Merge to HDR. Since I upgraded my Power Mac to 2GB of memory I've noticed it works a lot more smoothly, but I see that you have 8GB so that can't be the problem... I wish I could assign keyboard shortcuts in Bridge though. It seems as though it isn't finished IMHO. It's like they just threw it in. I'm starting to get used to Bridge, although I was just fine with Browse :(

I pulled my work over to another drive and it seems to be much happier that way. Still don't like the clunkiness of it.

No problem with RAM. :cool: :D

I'm sure I'll love it someday. I really hate using it now.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
I had a lot of problems with bridge too, but they have release some small updates to bridge. I think it is at 1.0.2 or 1.0.3 and it has really stabilized and speed it up for me. Yes, it could be faster, but it is now usable.

prophet621

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2005
On my ibook CS2 is slow as all hell. On my PC I love it and couldn't be happier, it's even good on my PC laptop. Many much needed tweaks to the suite.

Bridge does suck, I really hate it. I have always used a third party app to look through my pictures and decide which I want to open and modify. For the last few years it's been ThumbsPlus, best picture viewer ever. Unlike many other viewers I can have several pictures open at once to decide which I want to use.

I personally can't stand version cue ether, it's a resource hog and to me rather pointless for my needs.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
On my iBook, CS2 is the most horrible thing ever and CS runs great.

On my PC, CS is "ok", but CS2 is way better.

Weird. I like CS better anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.