cult films

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 8bit, Dec 20, 2005.

1. 8bit macrumors newbie

2. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Death Race 2000 - It's gruesome, tasteless and cheap-looking. It's the embodiment of cult film! :D

Edit: Just found the tagline: "In The Year 2000 Hit And Run Driving Is No Longer A Felony. It's The National Sport!"

Brilliant :)

3. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

What is cult?

I am not sure what 'cult film' means any more; do movies without a big fan-base count or does it have to be something that is not mainstream, yet accepted for being different like Pulp Fiction? There is one film in my collection called Death Race 2000 and almost no-one I know has heard of it but I love it the same way I love some music that came out before my time. If we are talking about non-mainstream films that made it big then I have to mention Taxi Driver and Scarface.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

cult: noun, a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

• A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister : a network of Satan-worshiping cults.
    • A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing : a cult of personality surrounding the leaders.
    • A person or thing that is popular or fashionable, esp. among a particular section of society : a cult film.

My favourite cult film? Well, it keeps getting censored by the language filter... :eek:

Don't you just love Tiger's Dictionary. I hope we'll be able to copy directly from the widget soon.

5. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

According to Dictionary.app:

"• [usu. as adj. ] a person or thing that is popular or fashionable, esp. among a particular section of society : a cult film."

That seems pretty accurate. A cult film, to me, is a movie that falls under the radar of most people and finds popularity amongst a group of people with a certain disposition. It doesn't necessarily have to have low production values, as long as the story or the idea is good enough to find popularity amongst a subset of movie-watchers.

I dunno. I'm not a wanker, I promise. I just happen to like less-than-mainstream movies :eek:.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

7. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Oh yes - Braindead is a bloody excellent film (pun definitely intended :D ). That and Bad Taste are two of the funniest, goriest films I've ever seen.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

9. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

You forgot to include the best movie in the world *drum rolls* Pulp Fiction, enuogh said.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was so close to typing that... Is that bad?

11. oblomow macrumors 68000

oblomow

Oh yes!! Babies in blenders. Stuffing food down someone's neck (not throat!)

On a more serious level: nobody familiar with the family living on a dump
    in Rome? Brutti, sporchi e cattivi?

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Does Anchorman count? What about Mel Brooks' stuff - excluding the new version of The Producers, the movie of the musical of the movie...

13. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Anchorman

No. These days everyone is into Jazz Flute and wearing cologne that contains real bits of panther.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've got a friend who has Anchorman Nights™ with me. We head out to pubs, clubs and bars "to be on" people. My girlfriend doesn't mind because she knows my flirting doesn't work. :eek:

15. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

David Lynch: Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet
    Leon, the Professional
    Sid & Nancy ...love kills
    The Big Blue

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Aww, that's a cute/sad movie. :eek:

I'm not sure if this counts because, well, I hadn't heard of it... but who knows? It might be hugely popular elsewhere.

[​IMG]

The Spanish Apartment (and just in case you were wondering, Audrey Tautou has almost no lines or part in this movie-- the cover was very misleading :( but luckily, it's still an amusing movie).

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

something cute about audrey tautou...

anyone seen amilie or a very long engagement?

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I own both "Amelie" and "A Very Long Engagement." I also own "The Spanish Apartment" and "Dirty Pretty Things." ;) I don't adore Audrey Tautou, really, I don't... :p

19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i haven't seen spanish apartment, but i'll put it in my list...:D

20. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

OMG, the other person on the planet who liked Bad Taste.:) I remember when it came to the local video store in the late 80's the management pasted a sticker over the finger on the cover as they were afraind some people would think it offensive. Hope this link works...
    [​IMG]

The one thing about this movie that I truly remember is when all the creatures are passing the bowl around for dinner. I shudder even to this day.

OMFG, I was just looking on IMDB about this movie. I did not realize that it was written, directed by, produced by, and stars none other than Peter Jackson.

EDIT: IMDB link went dead

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Suicide Circle or Dead or Alive or Battle Royal....maybe also Ichi the Killer

22. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

The bowl scene is definitely one of the grosser parts of the film - I'm not normally squeamish, but that made me cringe. :eek:

I love the fact that Peter Jackson went from this and Braindead to LOTR. The other one of his you should check out is Meet the Feebles. It's The Muppets with swearing, violence and oral sex.

23. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I loved Battle Royale. Evil Dead is another cult classic.

24. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

My favorite cult movies are the Leprechaun movies. There are 6 of them now, including Leprechaun in Las Vegas, In Space, In the hood (starring Ice-T!) and Back to the hood. And warwick davis is great. Some of them are pretty tough to watch, but Back to the hood, Lep 1 and 2 are all gold, and Las Vegas has some great moments. In Space is probably the oddest one (they don't mention he's a leprechaun a single time), and in the hood is the worst one.

My friends and I used to have an annual leprechaun party. We'd watch all the movies back to back (starting when there was only three of them), and have lots of beer, lucky charms and green ice shaped like shamrocks, party games an prizes were also part of the festivities. If its going to be a cult movie, you gotta go all out.