Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
The chinese population there is huge... and they vote for their own. That's all I'll say. LOL

Considering the number of Caucasian candidates and officeholders and the lack of Chinese American candidates and officeholders, I'm pretty certain that Chinese Americans vote for Caucasian a lot more frequently than Caucasians votes for Chinese American candidates (or any other minority candidates).

The racist crap in this thread is disappointing...

elbodude

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Silicon Valley
When this building is complete it will become a tourist attraction. I might even go and see it.

Me too as it's 1.5 miles from my house. Growing up in Cupertino, I used to walk through the orchards they are referencing. Then all these Apple buildings started popping up. I will be good to consolidate to one area of the city.

It's the new and improved Infinite Loop

Last edited:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Keep in mind the geography of the bay area. I live in San Francisco, and the city council here is of a high caliber, but the cities of the suburbs, like Cupertino, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Milpitas, Milbrae, San Bruno, Santa Clara, Alviso, they're all tiny little towns with 20-30k people....

You have no idea what you are talking about:

Santa Clara, pop. 116,468
Mountain View, pop. 74,066
Milpitas, pop. 66,790
Palo Alto, pop. 64,403
Cupertino, pop. 58,302
San Bruno, pop. 41,114

(Source: 2010 census)

Only Millbrae and Alviso come even close to the size you mention.

Maybe next time, you can do a little research before you propose a "theory."

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Where exactly will Apple's employees work while the structure is being built?
In the buildings where their offices currently exist, plus maybe a few leased buildings, to accommodate for Apple's pokey growth.

It's not like Cupertino commercial real estate is maxed out. There are places with "for lease" signs on De Anza Boulevard, Bubb Road, etc.

Apple is very slow about adding new engineering and marketing employees anyhow. The vast majority of their growth in employee ranks is retail sales. Those people don't need desks in Cupertino.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
IT's all nice, but personally I prefer MSFT's main Redmond campus. It's really nice and you feel like the entire town is Microsoft.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
the mayor reminds me of a cartoon character... but i can't recall who....

tuong-lu-kim.jpg

Him?

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
In the buildings where their offices currently exist, plus maybe a few leased buildings, to accommodate for Apple's pokey growth.

It's not like Cupertino commercial real estate is maxed out. There are places with "for lease" signs on De Anza Boulevard, Bubb Road, etc.

Apple is very slow about adding new engineering and marketing employees anyhow. The vast majority of their growth in employee ranks is retail sales. Those people don't need desks in Cupertino.

Bubb is one of the main off campus sites. I am sure employees will stay there.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Apple missed a chance to "think different" with their brand names recently. With others offering "cloud" services, "icloud" isn't that original.

Apple should have called their "cloud" a "moon" or imoon. The idea being that the moon is higher in the sky than the competitors clouds. And this new spaceship complex in Cuppertino would take us to the imoon.

Apple could have had itunes store sales on each new moon too to draw customers.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
The guy is reading off of a prepared statement, presumably. Yet he can't say three words without throwing in an "uh", and he repeats himself over and over. If I were a resident of Cupertino I would be embarrassed to admit this guy ever got elected.

What's with all the carping about this? Since when do politicians and city leaders have to be TV-ready? Maybe it's a generational thing. Do young people view that as a prerequisite for leadership? It seems to me that someone on a city council could be extremely good at their job while not having mastered the art of being spectacular on TV.

It's not a reality show. It's the city's political dealings. It doesn't have to wow you.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
It is actually going to sit on top of a super collider (hence the shape).

Apple will create iquarks for new uses and research ifusion.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
How do you get to be an elected public figure with such awful public speaking skills?

Cupertino is a small town of less than 60k hominoids. The mayor and city council positions almost go for begging (please, somebody run for election).

The "mayor" may be a rotating position among the members of the city council - since someone has to bang the gavel at each meeting. It's a figurehead post, chosen by the city council - not by the voters.

A "big issue" in one of these small towns can be a church wanting to lease space in its steeple for cellular radio antennae. The NIMBY neighbors are afraid it will irradiate their children, an army of experts declares not only that it won't - but the legal mavens point out that the city council is prohibited by FCC regulations from considering health concerns in their decision.

So please, look at this in context.

(BTW, I'm describing the situation in Mountain View, a town that more or less borders Cupertino - depending on whether you consider unincorporated parts of LA. Please, if any Cupertino resident can correct me please do so. And, no Steve, you live in Palo Alto (at least since you destroyed the house in Woodside).)

It is actually going to sit on top of a super collider (hence the shape).

Apple will create iquarks for new uses and research ifusion.

Far, far, far too small for a super collider. Maybe a MiniMac collider - a collider built using laptop parts.

LHC wouldn't fit in Silicon Valley - even ignoring the minor issue that it might have to cross the San Andreas Fault. LHC is 27 km in circumference, and is in two countries.

3406682585_d2166b234e_z.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Last edited:

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Anybody familiar with California and underground parking?

Is it allowed? I thought, due to earthquakes, that something like that would be banned from the state. Any thoughts?

Not a problem. Being underground is not any more dangerous than being above in terms of earthquakes - it's all in how it is designed. In fact the surrounding earth could be used to the structure's advantage. Seismic design has come a long way since the disasters you've seen in previous earthquakes.

My credentials: civil engineer with experience in bridge design (actually very similar in basic design to parking structures).

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
This gets more and more cringe-worthy than the first video posted. Is it me, or do the council members for this city seem not fit for public speaking?

I mean, I've seen people aged 16 have more confidence and structure to a presentation!

This presentation was is a classic example of Teddy Roosevelt's, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." quote. The council members were flat out intimidated by Steve Jobs. They are not worth talking with someone worth more than the entire City of Cupertino.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
This They are not worth talking with someone worth more than the entire City of Cupertino.

That's a disgusting comment.

The democratically elected officials of a community are worth more than some egostical turtle-necked billionaire who doesn't even live in the town.

"Worth" can mean character as well as wealth. Jobs has wealth, but little character.

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Apple Mothership HQ is like the Stanley Kubrick's movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" rotating circular space station! Ground Control To Major Steve!
:):apple:

Attachments

• 2001_Space_Odyssey.jpg
    2001_Space_Odyssey.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Space_Station_V_and_ISS.jpg
    Space_Station_V_and_ISS.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 196
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.