Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
While I am running in os X tiger on my 800mhz 1mb L2 G4 powermac with 1gb of ram, my hard drive access will top out and my computer will terribly lag ... but when I check my ram usage it will say something around 600mb.. out of my 1024mb ... this usually happens when running iphoto.. what the heck? Just barely i was running iPhoto browsing through my pictures... I have 5356 5mP pictures in my library... out of total randomness it lags terribly.. I get the beachball and have to wait... and wait... I can always force quit and restart iphoto but loading iphoto takes quite a while... WHILE i am lagging terribly, my ram usage was only at 200mb?!?!... My processor can't be the problem, cause while its lagging, the processor is around 60% or so... but my hard drive read and write is just solid.... I know the drive is good, its a western digital 80gb 7200RPM IDE. I have checked for errors and repaired permissions but I still occasionally run into my lag problem again. Does this happen to everyone with iPhoto? Or just me? If this cannot be fixed because its just a terrible programming of iphoto, what else is there to use besides iphoto that has similar GUI and features..? Thanks....

steve

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
stevey500 said:
While I am running in os X tiger on my 800mhz 1mb L2 G4 powermac with 1gb of ram, my hard drive access will top out and my computer will terribly lag ... but when I check my ram usage it will say something around 600mb.. out of my 1024mb ... this usually happens when running iphoto.. what the heck? Just barely i was running iPhoto browsing through my pictures... I have 5356 5mP pictures in my library... out of total randomness it lags terribly.. I get the beachball and have to wait... and wait... I can always force quit and restart iphoto but loading iphoto takes quite a while... WHILE i am lagging terribly, my ram usage was only at 200mb?!?!... My processor can't be the problem, cause while its lagging, the processor is around 60% or so... but my hard drive read and write is just solid.... I know the drive is good, its a western digital 80gb 7200RPM IDE. I have checked for errors and repaired permissions but I still occasionally run into my lag problem again. Does this happen to everyone with iPhoto? Or just me? If this cannot be fixed because its just a terrible programming of iphoto, what else is there to use besides iphoto that has similar GUI and features..? Thanks....

steve
If your question is about RAM usage, then it has been answered numerous times. A Unix-based OS tries to use all of the RAM available to it. The behavior you described is expected.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
iPhoto can sure use some tweaking for speed from Apple. I found this to help my problem. iPhoto has its own trash bin when you delete photos and only deletes them when you tell it to. Try emptying it (I had tons of deleted images in it). Command under File menu. HTH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.