Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange Computer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
I have a really big music library & subscribe to iTunes match. From time to time I need to take my files and play them on non-Apple devices, so DRM is a non starter.

Will Apple Music convert all my files to DRM versions if I redownload them?

Will newly ripped music be protected or DRM free?

How can I tell if a file has been downloaded as DRM encumbered or DRM free?

Is there a way to force Apple Music to download a non DRM version of a file I own?

Should I just use Spotify for streaming and stay with iTunes match for my existing library

Baron015

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Almost all iTunes Music Store download purchases have been without DRM for several years now.

Orange Computer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
Almost all iTunes Music Store download purchases have been without DRM for several years now.
I understand that. I buy a lot on the iTunes Music Store. However the question is about losing DRM free use of my existing files and how it will affect ripping CDs.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
I have a really big music library & subscribe to iTunes match. From time to time I need to take my files and play them on non-Apple devices, so DRM is a non starter.

Is there a way to force Apple Music to download a non DRM version of a file I own?

Should I just use Spotify for streaming and stay with iTunes match for my existing library

First, make a backup of your iTunes library. Then it really doesn't matter what happens.

And, as far as I know, only Apple Music downloads (i.e. songs you didn't upload or purchase) have drm.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA

In theory it should download DRM-free versions of songs that have been either matched or uploaded. However, in the past that was not always the case. Not sure if they have fixed it for good now.
The songs in your local iTunes library (whether ripped or sourced elsewhere) will not be touched unless you delete and redownload them.
Switch to song view and enable the "iCloud Status" column.
That's what I do. I prefer keeping my carefully organized library separate from the streaming catalog.

Reactions: Orange Computer

danieleilertsen

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I use apple Music on iphone 6, macbook pro With the latest itunes (updated it only a couple of weeks ago) and macOS Sierra.

When I try using the apple music icloud Library, on my macbook pro With iTunes, it does not work.

I would like to note i got a complicated file structure in itunes and aprox 8000 - 15 000 tracks downloaded in aprox 10 years time.

Anyway, when I activate apple Music icloud Music library in Itunes the problem starts for all my downloaded files. The premaid playlists ether get dublicated or the playlist structure gets ruiend. I have tried to do this progress allot of times, but it always turns out bad. The playlists gets duplicated or the playliststructure gets ruiend - example is that playlists are duplicated and moved from a playlistfolder and out as a single playlist.

The playliststracture becomes a complete mess.

The problem, as told above, happens right after the itunes scanning progress finnishes when pushing the button for icloud music library.

I called apple Music service for help, but apple told me there was nothing that could be done, and that icloud somtimes restructure the playlists.

This is not acceptable for me. I DJ allot and I need my playlist structures and songs to be the way I want them to be. Not the way icloud Music Library wants them.

I would like to note i am talking about downloaded mp3 tracks in a range of 10 years.

Any idea?

Reactions: Orange Computer

Orange Computer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
Thanks, All

I've decided to go with Spotify for my streaming needs and to keep managing my primary library (which I also use professionally) with iTunes for as long as Apple lets me.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Probably the safest approach. IMO iOS 10 signals a major shift of Apple/iTunes away from focusing on our own music needs, and focusing on how Apple wants people to use Apple Music. The Music app has lost functionality and usability for interacting with ones personal library, and focuses to the extreme on using it with Apple Music. I expect this trend to only continue. The Music app will always play your music, but that'll be about it. Third party apps will eventually become the primary way to better interact with your music. Actually that's already the case, limited only by the API limitations of Apple.

Thanks, All

I've decided to go with Spotify for my streaming needs and to keep managing my primary library (which I also use professionally) with iTunes for as long as Apple lets me.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
We seriously trust technology too much to say "it won't touch them"...

Keep a backup always regardless which service u use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.